Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2007   #1
Toro
Veteran

Default Trent Edwards

The more I see of this guy, the more I'm intrigued by him as a possible QB for the Texans.

He's got good size for the QB position (6'4), is extremely accurate, and seems to know when to find his WR and where. Although no Vince Young, he's also got a good bit of mobility and can throw the football while on the run. He's someone you're not hearing a lot of because of where he went to school (Stanford), but I think he could be one of those under the radar type QBs who surprises everyone.

I know a number of people are looking at Russell, some at Quinn, a LOT at Kolb, and some at Brennan, but I'm gonna hitch my wagons to this guy's parade.

Anyone else think he'd be worth looking in to perhaps in the second or if he falls that far, the third?
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trent Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
The more I see of this guy, the more I'm intrigued by him as a possible QB for the Texans.

He's got good size for the QB position (6'4), is extremely accurate, and seems to know when to find his WR and where. Although no Vince Young, he's also got a good bit of mobility and can throw the football while on the run. He's someone you're not hearing a lot of because of where he went to school (Stanford), but I think he could be one of those under the radar type QBs who surprises everyone.

I know a number of people are looking at Russell, some at Quinn, a LOT at Kolb, and some at Brennan, but I'm gonna hitch my wagons to this guy's parade.

Anyone else think he'd be worth looking in to perhaps in the second or if he falls that far, the third?

I wouldn't draft him before the 4th.
Old 01-17-2007   #3
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I wouldn't draft him before the 4th.
I don't know how much Stanford's lousy record played in to factor, but I'm not going to hold it against him. He seems to have a lot of quality intangibles that translate well on the NFL level. He lacks a rocket arm, but I'll take a guy with a gun and good vision than a cannon who hits 1 out of 10.

Only thing that really worries me is his injury history. Otherwise, I think he'd be worth at least looking in to.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #4
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

He is good QB stuck on bad football. He is going to be solid QB for some one.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see him being able to put it all together. I see him as a career backup. You don't draft those guys, you sign them. You draft starting calibur QB's.
Old 01-17-2007   #6
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I still say that we should take a flyer on Jeff Smith from Georgetown College. He is 6'-6" 246 lbs, and should be available in the 7th or as an URFA.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #7
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:

I wouldn't look at him in the 2nd at all, probably not with our 3rd round pick either, maybe later in the 3rd if we can acquire an extra pick in there. I think he's a pretty solid prospect and the type of QB that Kubiak would like, so I think he'd definitely be on their radar if he falls to the 4th round.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2007   #8
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Here is the scouting report on Trent Edwards.

Positional Rank: 6

Name: Trent Edwards
College: Stanford
Class: Senior
Height: 6'4
Weight: 220

Positives: Has the size and build you look for in a QB. . . .Very Good Arm Strength and possess pinpoint accuracy. . . .Good character. . . .Has very high potential for a QB on a team the caliber of Stanford. . . .Mechanically sound.

Negatives: His arm strength is good but has trouble with deep-ball accuracy. . . .Forces his throws frequently. . . .Durability issues especially with an injury in the middle of his senior season.

My Analysis: He could really move up with a good Senior Bowl/Combine. He may be more prototypical then any of the middle-tier guys and could be like a Kellen Clemens this year.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read