Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2007   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How depressed where you when...

...you watched the playoff games and realized our team is nowhere NEAR the level of talent, speed, and sheer dominance of ALL the teams we saw play in the playoffs?

I know we beat the Colts and all, that's a good start.

But watching the Colts and Ravens made me realize that our team is sooooooo far behind in the catgories of talent, speed, and sheer dominance.

I could not believe the level of competition that I saw ot there this past two weekends. It was like those teams are in a whole different league than we are.

It actually felt like our team is an NFL Europe team, to be quite honest.

I was just blown away by watching our games all season long....and then watching the playoff games and seeing the utter and complete "night and day" difference.
Old 01-16-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How depressed where you when...

I really do feel that we are 8 moves/cirumstances away in this particular order to be where there those teams are:
1- Veteran CB in FA
2- Draft Adrian Peterson
3- Spencer has a solid rehab
4- Address Center - FA, Draft or Weary
5- Draft an impact FS in rounds 2-3
6- Sign a new PK and P
7- TJ and Payne return to serviceable form
8- Address LB - Will Wali Rainer be back, go FA or draft?
Old 01-16-2007   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73156 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
I was just blown away by watching our games all season long....and then watching the playoff games and seeing the utter and complete "night and day" difference.
Do you mean to tell me that the Texans' games were the only NFL games that you watched during the season? Not even any of the Sunday or Monday night games?

No, I wasn't blown away.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #4
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe my view is skewed, but no where near as depressed when Vince Young...in OT... =(
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Do you mean to tell me that the Texans' games were the only NFL games that you watched during the season? Not even any of the Sunday or Monday night games?

No, I wasn't blown away.
yes:

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, we lack in talent, but the NFL has alot of parity. Teams can become very good in a blink of an eye with a couple players. For example, the Rams were 4-12 in the 1998 season. The next year, they found this awesome Qb by mistake and took them to an NFL title. They had several good players but it took one to start the Avalanche. Look at Saints this year. They added Brees, Reggie and Colston, and WALLA!!!! They're pretty good. I'm not saying that this will turn around overnight but at least we don't have to wait a decade.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

98 was the year Tony Banks finally melted down for the last time on his journey to easy money backing up Carr. In 99 they brought in Marshall Faulk and the rest is history.

Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2007   #8
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Wasn't impressed in the NFC...I feel if the texans were in the NFC team we would have been in the playoff hunt till the very end.
Old 01-16-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Wasn't impressed in the NFC...I feel if the texans were in the NFC team we would have been in the playoff hunt till the very end.
yeah right.

Old 01-16-2007   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
considering our record against the NFC this year..i disagree.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
98 was the year Tony Banks finally melted down for the last time on his journey to easy money backing up Carr. In 99 they brought in Marshall Faulk and the rest is history.
Marshall was the man, but if you watched that team. it was Warner who stirred the pot. He was so unbelivably accurate. He never missed his targets. Now the secondary had to cover all these awesome recievers and Marshall was left open many times.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we could - just maybe - have the potential to be a wildcard team that gets blown out in the playoffs for 2007...if we're lucky and play our cards right. I'm not predicting, though, not at this point....
Old 01-16-2007   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Depression is impossible at this point.
I'll be happy when I'm not numb any more.

Maybe after April we Texan fans will be able to feel a little sensation in our Peterson...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #14
t_flare
Veteran

i'm not depress... just remember 2-14
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #15
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think we could - just maybe - have the potential to be a wildcard team that gets blown out in the playoffs for 2007...if we're lucky and play our cards right...
I wasn't depressed until I read the above and realized again the cold hard truth about where our Texans stand in terms of reasonable expectations.

I will accept nothing less than the Lombardi Trophy and one day our time will come, but first we need to reach the point where we can reasonably expect it to happen, lucky or not.

The first step could come during Free Agency.
Then the Draft.
Then the 2007 season and hope for a quick turnaround a la last year's Saints.

Now I'm not depressed anymore.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #16
texansfanquecaneh
Rookie

I'm not depressed. Look at Jacksonville last year. 12-4 means nothing when you lose 28-3 & get eliminated right away. Plus they didn't even make the playoffs this year.
texansfanquecaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I really do feel that we are 8 moves/cirumstances away in this particular order to be where there those teams are:
1- Veteran CB in FA
2- Draft Adrian Peterson
3- Spencer has a solid rehab
4- Address Center - FA, Draft or Weary
5- Draft an impact FS in rounds 2-3
6- Sign a new PK and P
7- TJ and Payne return to serviceable form
8- Address LB - Will Wali Rainer be back, go FA or draft?
I agree. Now all we need to make all those "moves/circimstances" reality is
Merlin the Magician.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #18
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Nah - I was depressed in the 2005 season, to a point of numbness like our previous coaching staff and GM. 2006 I was optimistic but a realist expecting 8-8 or so.

Watching the playoffs, not depressed - good to see the best of the best make it to the final 4, and not some sub team slip in... and kinda interesting watching some players have a melt down after a loss and others exstatic after a win. Once again optimistic and hopeful the Texans will soon be there and feel we're FINALLY on the right track.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #19
Low Life
Rookie

I don't believe that we lack in talent except for one or two positions. Honestly. Didn't we cut/release Jabar Gaffney and Billy Miller? I think that they proved to be well equipped for the playoffs when given the ball. I'm really surprised that Derrick Armstrong isn't making us look stupid somewhere else as well. Didn't the Seahawks have a secondary consisting of cousins, uncles and grandparents? We are an athletically talented team. No more or less than the next superbowl champion. I think whats his name is our main problem talent wise. Next season will have to be the proving ground so until then...
Old 01-16-2007   #20
ulsaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
I don't believe that we lack in talent except for one or two positions. Honestly. Didn't we cut/release Jabar Gaffney and Billy Miller? I think that they proved to be well equipped for the playoffs when given the ball. I'm really surprised that Derrick Armstrong isn't making us look stupid somewhere else as well. Didn't the Seahawks have a secondary consisting of cousins, uncles and grandparents? We are an athletically talented team. No more or less than the next superbowl champion. I think whats his name is our main problem talent wise. Next season will have to be the proving ground so until then...
Your example just shows the Texans are poor evaluators of talent, not that they have stockpiled so much talent they have to release good players.

The Texans can get all the FAs they want but until they get a QB, it doesn't really matter.
ulsaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read