Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-16-2007   #1
swoldier
Rookie

Thumbs up This morning on ESPN's Cold Pizza

Well they powers at be have decided this morning in their mock draft that more notably Jamarcus Russel goes numero uno to Oakland Brady Quinn at numero dos and the only pick that we all care about Adrian Peterson drops to the Texans at numero ocho. I think i would be happy with this pick seeing as how our top back is Ron Dayne and DD/DW Is coming back from a pretty serious knee injury. What say the Texans fans?

Last edited by swoldier; 01-16-2007 at 10:26 AM.
swoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #2
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This morning on ESPN's Cold Pizza

I want Landry in the 1st, and a RB in the second. Someone's lightning to Dayne's Thunder. There will still be quality backs there, and Saftey is a bigger need.

Last edited by joedinkle; 01-16-2007 at 10:44 AM.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless Kubiak completely breaks from the Denver formula, we won't be taking AP in the first round.
Old 01-16-2007   #4
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoldier View Post
Well they powers at be have decided this morning in their mock draft that more notably Jamarcus Russel goes numero uno to Oakland Brady Quinn at numero dos and the only pick that we all care about Adrian Peterson drops to the Texans at numero ocho. I think i would be happy with this pick seeing as how our top back is Ron Dayne and DD/DW Is coming back from a pretty serious knee injury. What say the Texans fans?
I would wait on making a decision on any running back until after the Indy Combines.
Old 01-16-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Unless Kubiak completely breaks from the Denver formula, we won't be taking AP in the first round.
I think you put way to much into that concept around here. Denver never had many high picks like us but always took backs like Portis if the value was there early in the draft...I think this team will draft talent over filling needs with critical early picks going forward with Richard Smith.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So do we just ignore the fact that Kubes tried to trade back inot the first round to grab a RB?

Yes, I know Denver never selected an RB early; but that does not mean Kubes would be opposed to. If I recall he wasn't running the drafts. Shannahan could have asked for Kubiak's input and he very well might have said let's grab stud RB propect at 22 but Denver decieded to go another direction.

The only draft we should use to evaluate Kubiak's draft philosophy is last years, and the evidence from said draft shows that Kubes my very well draft an RB in the first round.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: This morning on ESPN's Cold Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
2 things

it's jamarcus russell
I want Landry in the 1st, and a RB in the second. Someone's lightning to Dayne's Thunder. There will still be quality backs there, and Saftey is a bigger need.
OR CB. But one of those two
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2007   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think you put way to much into that concept around here. Denver never had many high picks like us but always took backs like Portis if the value was there early in the draft...I think this team will draft talent over filling needs with critical early picks going forward with Richard Smith.
I like the sound of that

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #9
jdm12
Rookie

Quote:
I saw the same thing last week on ESPN's 1st and 10. I have not decided if I would be for or against this pick. Don't get me wrong we do have other needs. However, can we afford to bypass on him if he is there.

I know Kubes is not going to count on DW coming back healty. Also I am not sure if Dayne is capable of being a feature back. Those two thoughts make me OK with the pick. Knowing that Kubes has been able to turn RB's off the street (so to speak) into 1000+ yard rushers would make me against it. What about his injuries? I did not get to see the bowl game which he made his return in. How did he look?

J
jdm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm expecting a volte-face when it comes to Kubiak's selection of running backs. He tried drafting a RB late last year because the team had Dominic Williams. One year later, and DW's status has lowered due to questions of work ethic and durability. I expect Kubes to take a new RB, Peterson or Lynch, whoever is available.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well we were going to draft a RB with the first pick last year until Bush's agent became difficult and the housing scandal broke.

Plus like Hoth-Boy said, we were going to trade back into the first round to draft DeAngelo Williams before the Bills offered a better deal.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105274 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What are u kidding? I want secondary help badly & wouldn't be unhappy if we went that route in the draft, but if AP falls to us, i think we have to take him for 2 reasons. 1, our scheme is designed around the run game so we would need a stud back & 2, we'd solidify our RB position.

Since this draft is deep in CB's & FS's we should be okay going to into the 2nd picking up a possible starter for our secondary...................... Of course all of this depends on what happens in Free Agency so...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #13
Zac
Rookie

Peterson seems like a more viable option than Reggie Bush for the Texans team.

Bush is a back that likes to dance and runs a lot. He is lightning quick, but in the NFL, he has yet to be the next Barry Sanders. In New Orleans, Deuce has gotten the workload at Running Back.

On the other hand, Peterson is more of a single cut and run hard running back. He is a powerful runner; who as his name is "All Day"; get stronger as the game goes on.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #14
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I've waffled on this, but if Peterson is there, the Texans have to take him, unless a more highly rated offensive player is still available. Calvin Johnson, JaMarcus Russell, and Joe Thomas are probably the only guys. Bottom line, the team needs an offensive identity, and I think Peterson can bring that. It's not necessarily a great investment of the dollars or the pick, and is very high risk, but he's an immediate impact player. Peterson is also a bone to throw at Houston fans, who've been a bit divided by the Carr/Young/Bush ordeal. There is one playmaker on the Texans offense, and I think Peterson can make it a much better unit immediately. This is the rare occasion where the interests of the fans and team needs unite. It's a risky pick.

I still think Peterson's too good of a fit for Cleveland to pass up. If Russell, Thomas, Johnson, and Peterson are gone, then I think it's clearly a BPA situation. At that point, it's more likely we're looking at a safety or a DT. I wouldn't mind a complementary DE for Mario. Synergy is a great thing, I can't tell if Freeney or Mathis is better, and who makes who better. It's a beautiful thing, and those 2 guys have made them a viable Super Bowl team... so I'm all for DE if there's an active speed rush guy there, worthy of the pick.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Well we were going to draft a RB with the first pick last year until Bush's agent became difficult and the housing scandal broke.
I've come to the conclusion that Reggie Bush is not and won't be a feature
running back in the NFL. 17 games this season, and only one game where he's
had 100 yards, and I saw parts of that game including a long drive by the Saints where Bush had multiple rushs. And each time he tried to dart outside.
On the other hand, I dunno if Bush can be a pure WR ? I've never seen him run a deep post across the middle, never even seen him run a fly pattern ?
I've seen him run little patterns from the slot, but thats it.
Peterson on the other hand is an NFL feature back. He's Deuce McCalister with a lot more speed. Really he's got Larry Johnson written all over him.
But even though he hasn't blow out a knee, his injuries are very troubling.
These guys jump head-first into the EZ all the time, but who ever heard of
any back suffering a serious injury from that little maneuver/celebration other than AD ?
If it weren't for the concerns about injury, I'd be good with AD. He'd really pumpup offseason interest, and would guarantee a 6th straight year of sell-outs. Might even divert attention from McNairs retention of DC, and you know the ole man would like that.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #16
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

I have to weigh in on this issue...again.

In previous posts in several different threads, I have made my case for AP. As some have already posted, his so-called "durability concerns" are not warranted IMO. A broken collarbone and sprained ankle is NOT something that will affect the long-term productivity of a RB.

BTW, his collarbone injury wasn't b/c he dove into the endzone and was celebrating. If anyone watched that game or the highlights, you can see that he was fighting for yardage, slightly spinning, and a defender hit him low and he just carried his momentum into a dive in order to make into the endzone.

If he had blown out his knee a couple of times, torn an ACL, etc. then I too would consider it a high risk, but as it stands now, I think he is a superb talent and great football player. He reminds me of a Larry Johnson/Terrell Davis type RB....one-cut and then head north.

AP is definitely my 1st choice if he is there at #8, and I really think he will be. If we don't take him, the only other scenarios that I want to see are as follows:

-take Jamaal Anderson at #8. (equal value)
-trade down to pick up a FS and acquire an extra draft pick. (better value)

IMO, these two scenarios are the only two that have either equal or better value than the Peterson pick would.
Old 01-16-2007   #17
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
had 100 yards, and I saw parts of that game including a long drive by the Saints where Bush had multiple rushs. And each time he tried to dart outside.
On the other hand, I dunno if Bush can be a pure WR ? I've never seen him run a deep post across the middle, never even seen him run a fly pattern ?
Peterson on the other hand is an NFL feature back. He's Deuce McCalister with a lot more speed. Really he's got Larry Johnson written all over him.
any back suffering a serious injury from that little maneuver/celebration other than AD ?
If it weren't for the concerns about injury, I'd be good with AD. He'd really pumpup offseason interest, and would guarantee a 6th straight year of sell-outs. Might even divert attention from McNairs retention of DC, and you know the ole man would like that.
Most people worry about ACL's and stuff like that. I actually worry more about ankle issues, collarbones, and general durability. Peterson's had issues with shoulder dislocations, which he had surgery for, a broken collarbone, and ankle sprains. That's all not unexpected for RB's, but the extent of it and his running style is a bit worrying. Some guys can just stay healthy, Peterson seems to be the type that's always got something nagging him... there's really no way to know. He is a great runner though, ideally he had have a little better feet.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I don't understand the point you're trying to make about Reggie...Who cares how he gets his yards? I'm not sure if you were really knocking him or not, but at this point I can almost gaurantee that all 32 teams in the NFL, including the Texans, would take Reggie Bush at this point...
Old 01-16-2007   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
...but at this point I can almost gaurantee that all 32 teams in the NFL, including the Texans, would take Reggie Bush at this point...
With a $50 million price tag, I'm not so sure. I thought Bush would bring more to the table than he's shown thus far. Still, it's early. Of the top 10 '06 draft choices, only Vince Young has exceeded my expectations.
Old 01-16-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't understand the point you're trying to make about Reggie...Who cares how he gets his yards? I'm not sure if you were really knocking him or not, but at this point I can almost gaurantee that all 32 teams in the NFL, including the Texans, would take Reggie Bush at this point...
Reggie Bush was taken #2 last year for his ability to be an NFL running back.
Right ? But is he that player ? The Jags rookie Maurice Drew had 300-400 more rushing yards than Bush, while having to share snaps with Freddy Taylor (just as Bush had to share time with Deuce). And Drew was also an excellent receiver and return man as was Bush. Why is Bush a more valuable
player than Drew ? Because he's got a Heisman, gets wall-to-wall hype on ESPN, and went to USC instead of UCLA ? OH yea, and his name is Reggie Bush. While VY won the OROY award, the AP Sports writers made Drew the runner up with more votes for rookie-of-the-year than Bush. And Drew also finished with more total yards than Bush and scored 7 more TDs.
Actually, 5 rookies had more rushing yards than fellow rookie Bush.
Why would 32 teams today draft Bush over Drew if Drew was the more productive and more effective running back ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read