Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Which combo would be best for us?
LSU-1: LaRon Landry (FS), Dwayne Bowe (WR), Chase Pittman (DE), Justin Vincent (RB) 2 3.77%
LSU-2: JaMarcus Russell (QB), Dwayne Bowe (WR), Chase Pittman (DE), Justin Vincent (RB) 3 5.66%
Arkansas: Jamaal Anderson (DE), Chris Houston (CB), Tony Ugoh (OT/OG), Keith Jackson (DT) 8 15.09%
Michigan: Leon Hall (CB), LaMarr Woodley (DE), David Harris (LB), Steve Breaston (WR) 4 7.55%
Michigan: Alan Branch (DT), LaMarr Woodley (DE), David Harris (LB), Steve Breaston (WR) 3 5.66%
Notre Dame: Brady Quinn (QB), Ryan Harris (OT), Victor Abiamiri (DE), Darius Walker (RB) 2 3.77%
Texas: Justin Blalock (OG/OT), Michael Griffin (SS), Aaron Ross (CB), Selvin Young (RB) 3 5.66%
Florida: Reggie Nelson (FS), Earl Everett (LB), Jarvis Moss (DE), DeShawn Wynn (RB) 10 18.87%
Miami: Brandon Meriweather (FS), Jon Beason (LB), Kareem Brown (DT), Baraka Atkins (DE) 6 11.32%
California: MarShawn Lynch (RB), Daymeion Hughes (CB/FS), Desmond Bishop (LB), Brandon Mebane (DT) 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2007   #1
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default Best Single-School Draft

OK, I've seen a few threads posted on what people would think if we took all our 1st day picks from X school, so for the sake of having a bit of a fun thread I thought I'd post some various options following this theme. Obviously a lot of these guys that will be listed may or may not last to the rounds that I have posted, similarly some are a bit of a reach at the pick that we have in each round, but for the sake of making this poll work that's the way I picked them, so please don't spend too much time nitpicking the exact draft position of these guys and concentrate on what combination of picks would be the best for our team.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default Re: Best Single-School Draft

I have to go with the Miami group. Although that doesn't help our offense out at all and I'd like to see us improve our offense, that gives us a really solid defense. Meriweather with our 1st round pick would be a reach, but adding a solid, penetrating DT, a solid aggressive DE, an athletic and good LB, and a very athletic FS would be very nice for our defense.

I think the California option would be pretty nice as well as it gives us a good RB and then a solid player at each level of the defense. The first Michigan lineup was nice other than Steve Breaston, but they didn't really have a 4th guy to add other than maybe their FS Willis Barringer, in retrospect he might have been a better person to put in there. The Arkansas group is my favorite for the first two rounds, but I'm not real fond of Ugo and Keith Jackson is fairly solid but doesn't complete the group especially well. The Florida group would be ok as it gives us a solid player at each level of the defense, albeit guys that aren't my favorite at any of those positions, and it gives us a functional RB, but likewise nothing special there.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Michigan: Leon Hall (CB), LaMarr Woodley (DE), David Harris (LB), Steve Breaston (WR)

I went with these guys for obvious reasons. Leon Hall looks to be the most NFL ready cornerback out of this draft. Woodley is a proven gamebreaker and star on defense. David Harris has a nose for the ball and should be a good linebacker in the NFL. Breaston is a good return man.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Meant to vote for Cal, but the Miami draft looks pretty good as well....as long as we trade down.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #5
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

I went w/ the Florida option b/c all the players are talented and they would definitely fit more of our needs than the other options. We get a FS, OLB, DE and RB...wow!

I also really like the Arkansas and Miami option...in that order.

Another option is Oklahoma...RB Adrian Peterson and OLB Rufus Alexander. This is definitely a possibility in the 1st & 2nd rounds. I don't know who else is coming out from OU, but those two would be enough.
Old 01-16-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Man those all looked really good. i voted for Cal just because i didn't want to spend an hour debating myself. i liked floridas a lot. arkansas too. just think if you added McFadden to that list but he's not eligible.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #7
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with Arkansas, though Cal good prospects as well, I think Arkansas' would have a greater impact. Anderson + Mario would give us two young stud DEs, Houston + D-rob, a promising young pair of CBs. Ugoh is needed strength added to our o-line, starting LT is a stretch, but is a possibility. Jackson, well, I honestly can't say I know much about him.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2007   #8
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Where is Prarie View?
Old 01-16-2007   #9
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Gotta go with the U. Mork you should have added Tyrone Moss in there to give us a RB also. Hell if you look at yours we can go all the way through with the U.

Meriweather, Beason, Brown, Atkins, Moss, Moore, and add whoever else we have a solid little group now.
Old 01-16-2007   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

went with arkansas
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #11
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
Where is Prarie View?
hey you never know. Maybe Ken Houston is looking to play Safety once again.
Old 01-16-2007   #12
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I voted Michigan obviously. (check signature)

Also b/c they added more to the defense primarily with a late offensive player.
Old 01-16-2007   #13
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted that same Cal draft a few weeks ago. Its my favorite we get a stud RB, a stud CB, a stud OLB, and a good DT. Wich leaves DE, FS, oline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

voted Florida because of all the sceneros seems the most likely if it where even remotely close.

Reggie Nelson as I posted on my first 07 mock draft with the Texans 1st rd pick.

YTF seems to feel that Jarvis slips to the 2nd rd. if he does he would give the Texans that speed rushing DE to take the double teams off Mario, both explosive & athletic.

defense again w/3rd rd. pick with OLB Earl Everett (can't imagine him lasting to the 3rd. but for poll purposes lets play along) so what you have going Florida all the way is addressing the secondary w/1st choice, defensive line w/2nd choice & LB's w/3rd choice. defence*defence*defence*

DeShawn Wynn, 5011 232 4.58 was a elite RB talent coming out of High School. NFL comparison is Stephen Davis, I think he would fit Kubiaks ZBS well also fitting along the lines of using multiple backs & not using a high pick @ the RB position. from what I've seen he runs between the tackles with power, good vison & cutback moves & would compliment Chris Taylor, most likey at some point replace Ron Dayne.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #15
real

I gotta go with the Florida Boys...
Old 01-16-2007   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I almost voted Arkansas, because a) I love teh idea of two monster DEs and b) I firmly believe that improving the pass rush is the best way to fix the secondary. But in teh end I voted for the Florida draft, it just has teh best depth of talent.

I also considered Cal pretty heavily.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

How about some love for OU?

Adrian Peterson - RB
Rufus Alexander - LB
C.J. Ah You - DE
Zach Latimer - LB
Larry Birdine - DE
Chris Messner - OT
Paul Thompson - Slash
Old 01-16-2007   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Went with Cal, all though guys are solid & potential starters & are what we need badly at the moment. All the one's with WR's i dismissed b/c WR's are low on the totem right now as far as i'm concerned. The only other notables to me are the florida & texas ones.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #19
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

I went with Notre Dame, Abiamieri is rated by some experts as first rounder, and if he fell to the 3rd then I would definately like that the best.
Old 01-16-2007   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Went with Cal, but we would have to trade down in the 1st IMO. Just wish they had a LT coming out with that bunch. Almost went with Arkansas for that reason (Ugoh), but thought it would have been too much on the D-line with a DE and DT in the draft. Too many other positions to fill.

This is a good way to kill time in the offseason and it really makes you think about what positions/players to get in the draft. Thanks Morknolle!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read