Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2007   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My Nomination For Offensive Co.

C / P From the official Pats NFL page:

Brian Daboll is now in his seventh season with the Patriots and is serving as the wide receivers coach on Bill Belichick's staff for the fifth consecutive year. Since assuming his current responsibilities prior to the 2002 season, Daboll has successfully blended veteran talent with up-and-coming young receivers. His approach has helped to develop a reliable receiving corps with big-play ability that has given the Patriots' offense the ability to remain consistent and creative.

Last season, New England wide receivers claimed the top three places on the team's receptions list for the third time in the four seasons Daboll has coached the position. Prior to Daboll's appointment as wide receivers coach, the position had accounted for the team's top three pass catchers just once in a nine-year span. Also in 2005, the Patriots finished the season as the NFL's second-ranked passing offense (257.5 yards per game), marking the team's highest ranking in that category in 11 seasons.

Anyone who can get two 100 yd games from Gaff is a miracle worker.

Another coach from the Belichick tree.

Comments?

Old 01-15-2007   #2
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Default Re: My Nomination For Offensive Co.

Sounds good, but is he available?

Also I would rather someone who is familiar with the west coast offense.
Old 01-15-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post. I'd take just about anybody from the Patriots organization. The question will be what does our HC want from his offensive coordinator, because if Kubiak is calling the majority of offensive plays, then his coach will mainly be his eyes from above.
Old 01-15-2007   #4
quicksilver
Overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
Sounds good, but is he available?
If he is being promoted, i.e. from WR Coach to OC, the Pats cannot prevent it--unless I'm seriously mistaken.
Old 01-15-2007   #5
AtheGreat
Veteran

after watching the Pats game, i was wondering if we could grab a coach from the NE staff myself. Sounds plausable to me, they've had nothing but success over there.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

It's starting to look like Sherman is going to be the offensive coordinator next season, but some Patriots magic ruboff would not be a bad thing.
Old 01-15-2007   #7
txwooley
Rookie

I would love to see Sherman as OC. But being reasonable, I think he will move to greener pastures as the top dog in one of the 5 HC vacancies up for grabs.
txwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2007   #8
NATHANHALE
Veteran

JMO, but anyone who comes from a top notch team like the Patriots, is going to want a lot more than a 'dink and dunk' passing attack--would Kubiak be willing to commit himself to a 'verticle' passing game?
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #9
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwooley View Post
I would love to see Sherman as OC. But being reasonable, I think he will move to greener pastures as the top dog in one of the 5 HC vacancies up for grabs.
Eh?

Arizona - filled
Atlanta - filled
Pittsburgh - rumors are that Sherman is not a finalist
Miami - open

Am I missing something?

I thought Sherman would get snatched up, too, but it just doesn't seem to be happening.
Old 01-15-2007   #10
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

sherman might end up at OC
id rather have kubes call the plays if he is the OC.
Old 01-15-2007   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Eh?

Arizona - filled
Atlanta - filled
Miami - open

Am I missing something?

I thought Sherman would get snatched up, too, but it just doesn't seem to be happening.
All these new coaches coming up.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #12
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Eh?

Arizona - filled
Atlanta - filled
Miami - open

Am I missing something?

To the best of my knowledge, Miami hasn't even had Sherman in for an interview, and the Dolphins reportedly have narrowed their wish list down to Jim Mora Jr. (why is anyone's guess) or Chan Gailey. So, you can scratch Sherman there too. Also, Pittsburgh's final three is Grimm, Rivera and Gailey.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #13
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I would consider it, although bringing in someone from a different style of system may continue to cloud developing the identity of our offense. It seems like that happened some this year with Mike Sherman here. I am definitely glad that he was here to help Kubiak get thru his first year of being a head coach, but I think the two had some different ideas on offense that they were trying to test out which ended up keeping the offense from discovering and establishing its identity, hopefully they can blend all of that knowledge this offseason and come into the 2007 season with a more clear idea of what they are wanting to do. Although I am a fan of what Belichick has established over there and we can use all the expertise and winning mentality that we can find, if we bring in someone from another system to be our coordinator then I worry that it might just cloud things more as we move forward. I think if Mike Sherman stays here then he and/or Kubiak will just absorb those responsibilities amongst themselves, if Sherman goes then I could see Kubiak undertaking that himself or maybe promoting one of his current guys.

Alex Gibbs would be another option since he's been in this type of system and is generally regarded as the premier ZBS OLine coach around, but it sounds like he doesn't necessarily want to be a fulltime coach again. I'd definitely call him up and see if he wants to be a consultant and work with the line during OTAs, minicamps, and training camp, for that matter I'd be calling Jerry Rice, Bruce Smith, and some others to come work with some of our guys during the offseason.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's starting to look like Sherman is going to be the offensive coordinator next season, but some Patriots magic ruboff would not be a bad thing.
hmmmmmm...I've got mixed feelings about that situation. It seems like too many cooks in the kitchen to me, but none of us really knows the behind-the-scenes working relationship between Kubiak and Sherman.

But hey, they coached these guys and called the plays good enough to beat the Colts, so they're definitely headed in the right direction. Hopefully 2007 will continue that trend, whatever happens with our coaching staf.
Old 01-16-2007   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Great post, DB.

My assumption has been that Sherman would move on and that if an OC was hired, it would be a young in-training type. My gut feeling is that after the dismal season on offense that Kubes is going to want more control of it. A younger coach that he is grooming while handling the reins of offensive coordination would fit well.

On the other hand, staying in Houston could benefit Sherman. I suspect this year the offense will really bloom, and Sherman being the offensive coordinator at that time would be a nice current point to an already outstanding resume. The question, as said earlier, is whether Sherman and Kubes get along football-wise.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #16
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
The question, as said earlier, is whether Sherman and Kubes get along football-wise.
This is true and a valid concern, but I tend to think that they must have a pretty good relationship.

Otherwise, I think that Sherman would have taken the Arizona job for a lot cheaper. Seems like he would be willing to leave for a low amount if he was unhappy. Right?
Old 01-16-2007   #17
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Also in 2005, the Patriots finished the season as the NFL's second-ranked passing offense (257.5 yards per game), marking the team's highest ranking in that category in 11 seasons.
Anyone who can get two 100 yd games from Gaff is a miracle worker.
Another coach from the Belichick tree.
Comments?
Good thoughts there. If Sherman does not move on, him being bumped up to OC would be good for continuity for the players here, though. Then, we'd just need a new O-line coach.
Old 01-16-2007   #18
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
Good thoughts there. If Sherman does not move on, him being bumped up to OC would be good for continuity for the players here, though. Then, we'd just need a new O-line coach.
It is beginning to look like that is what will happen. Remember the zone blocking brought from Denver is different than scheme Sherman used in GBay. It has been mentioned that was the factor leading to initial confusion of line men. IMO it is a (+) for Sherman to stay another year. I think Shannahan may be moved from receivers to OC in 2008.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #19
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 834 Wolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

I just saw the ticker at the bottom of the NFL Network screen read, "Per Adam Schefter, the Texans will name Mike Sherman the Offensive Coordinator for 2007." I can't find a link yet on NFL.com, but I'm looking.
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It seems like too many cooks in the kitchen to me, but none of us really knows the behind-the-scenes working relationship between Kubiak and Sherman.
That's what I think. Sherman served the useful funtion of helping to guide his buddy Kubiak thru his first year as a HC while another rookie, GM Rick Smith, also was learning the ropes. But now I'm hoping that Sherman can find another HC job of his own.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read