Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-15-2007   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default beerlover mock

BEERLOVERS 07 NFL POST UNDERCLASSMAN DECLARATION MOCK DRAFT

1. OAKLAND - Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech. 6040 228 4.55

2. DETROIT - Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame. 6040 228 4.70

3. CLEVELAND - Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma. 6020 218 4.47

4. TAMPA BAY - Jamaal Anderson, DE Arkansas. 6060 274 4.85

5. ARIZONA - Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin. 6070 310 5.06

6. WASHINGTON - Alan Branch, DT Michigan. 6060 330 5.38

7. MINNESOTA - JaMarcus Russell, QB LSU. 6050 252 4.56

8. HOUSTON - Reggie Nelson, S Florida. 6000 195 4.45

9. MIAMI - Dwayne Jarrett, WR USC. 6050 210 4.47

10. ATLANTA - Marshawn Lynch, RB CAL. 5011 220 4.46

11. SAN FRANCISCO - Gaines Adams, DE Clemson. 6050 260 4.72

12. BUFFALO - Leon Hall, CB Michigan. 5011 195 4.48

13. ST. LOUIS - Jarvis Moss, DE Florida. 6060 252 4.63

14. CAROLINA - LaRon Landry, S LSU. 6020 205 4.48

15. PITTSBURGH - Darrelle Revis, CB Pittsburgh. 6000 190 4.54

16. GREEN BAY - Ted Ginn Jr., WR/KR Ohio State. 6000 180 4.35

17. JACKSONVILLE - Brandon Meriweather, FS Miami. 6000 195 4.49

18. CINCINNATI - Patrick Willis, MLB Mississippi. 6020 232 4.60

19. TENNESSEE - Michael Griffin, SS Texas. 6010 205 4.48

20. N.Y. GIANTS - A.J. Davis, CB North Carolina State. 5010 188 4.44

21. DENVER - Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville. 6020 315 5.03

22. DALLAS - Sidney Rice, WR South Carolina. 6040 205 4.55

23. KANSAS CITY - Charles Johnson, DE Georgia. 6020 272 4.77

24. NEW ENGLAND - Paul Posluszny, OLB Penn State. 6020 230 4.58

25. N.Y. JETS - Tank Tyler, DT North Carolina State. 6020 310 5.20

26. PHILADELPHIA - Robert Meachem, WR Tennessee. 6030 210 4.48

27. NEW ORLEANS - Quentin Moses, DE Georgia. 6050 252 4.75

28. INDIANAPOLIS - Daymeion Hughes, CB CAL. 6000 188 4.54

29. BALTIMORE - Levi Brown, OT Penn State. 6040 325 5.28

30. SAN DIEGO - Justin Blalock, OT Texas. 6040 330 5.25

31. NEW ENGLAND - Aaron Ross, CB Texas. 6000 192 4.46

32. CHICAGO - Zach Miller, TE Arizona State. 6050 260 4.79

* measureables provided by NFL Draft Scout-

* bottom of actual draft order yet to be determined-

*all picks subject to change-

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: beerlover mock

Thanks beerlover I was getting bored.
Old 01-15-2007   #3
demecoryans#1fan
Rookie

Russel wont drop to #7 after his stellar performance against Dame and his 6'6" stature and I've heard some talk about A. Peterson will drop because of his durability issues.

Ginn won't drop to Green Bay either.

Last edited by demecoryans#1fan; 01-15-2007 at 01:18 PM.
demecoryans#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Under this scenario, based on Kubiak's penchant to improve the pass rush I say the Texans select Gaines Adams. Nice Mock, I do like all the stats you added.
Old 01-15-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the stats are off, but it's a nice touch. CJ is 6'6 and he isn't slower than Jarrett. CJ will run a 4.4
Old 01-15-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I went along with much of your mock Beerlover until I got to your idea for
the Texans #8 pick. Problem is you left atleast 10 guys on your own Board I'd have chosen over Reggie Nelson. Just my own bias against the idea of using such a high pick on a safety.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

that's pretty good overall....i'd rather miami draft ted ginn though, and i think they would.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2007   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
the Texans #8 pick. Problem is you left atleast 10 guys on your own Board I'd have chosen over Reggie Nelson. Just my own bias against the idea of using such a high pick on a safety.
I'd be interested on what ten players you think would be worthy of a #8 pick if not a safety?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I think the stats are off, but it's a nice touch. CJ is 6'6 and he isn't slower than Jarrett. CJ will run a 4.4
the stats are posted directly from one of the draft services I use "NFL Draft Scout" I'm sure they are out of date & will be revised post combine but for now I just wanted to get some ball park figures out there for everyone to get a better idea (for those who don't know) in general how big & fast they are (*as posted at the bottom of the page).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-15-2007   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
well I'm not pushing him one way or another, there are several other players I hope the Texans take a look at, however his upside is easily worth a top 10 rating/pick. We'll see after his ProDay workout before the draft just how high his stock does climb, he has the potential to be one of the top Safetys in the National Football League & high priority for the Texans. others considered where CB Leon Hall, the other FS LeRon Landry, a playmaker @ RB Marshawn Lynch, plus a pair of DE's Gaines Adams & Jarvis Moss, thats 5 right there I considered who where still on the board when the Texans selected.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-15-2007   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
that's pretty good overall....i'd rather miami draft ted ginn though, and i think they would.
I give Jarrett the edge over Ginn because of his route execution, understands how to sit down in the seams & come back to his QB, has excellent technique with soft hands, takes it over the middle in traffic, is a weapon in the red zone with his height (5 inches taller than Ginn) & has been playing in a Pro Style system @ USC under Pete Carrol. but thats just my opinion, I can certainly respect yours

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-15-2007   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
well I'm not pushing him one way or another, there are several other players I hope the Texans take a look at, however his upside is easily worth a top 10 rating/pick. We'll see after his ProDay workout before the draft just how high his stock does climb, he has the potential to be one of the top Safetys in the National Football League & high priority for the Texans. others considered where CB Leon Hall, the other FS LeRon Landry, a playmaker @ RB Marshawn Lynch, plus a pair of DE's Gaines Adams & Jarvis Moss, thats 5 right there I considered who where still on the board when the Texans selected.
I think Moss could slide to the second because of the healthy stock of DE's that will go ahead of him. Moss is best known for his ability to rush the passer as opposed to being complete. I would look at him in the second. I don't think he will go top half of first, but he should run about a 4.7 at his proday. Moss is an edge rusher with good enough size and pedigrey to warrent a look in the second.
Old 01-15-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd be interested on what ten players you think would be worthy of a #8 pick if not a safety?
I count 'bout half dozen Dlineman and 5 or 6 corners alone taken after the
Texans #8 pick on this particular mock, and like I said I just don't rate the safety position very high unless its an extraordinary playmaker.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I count 'bout half dozen Dlineman and 5 or 6 corners alone taken after the
Texans #8 pick on this particular mock, and like I said I just don't rate the safety position very high unless its an extraordinary playmaker.
Nelson is that type of playmaker.
Old 01-15-2007   #15
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

from what I have seen in previous drafts and from what I have heard from NFL coaches and GM's, Safeties are not often chosen that high unless they are believed to be game changers. The reason I have heard mentioned most often is that good safeties can often be found in the 4th-6th rounds.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
from what I have seen in previous drafts and from what I have heard from NFL coaches and GM's, Safeties are not often chosen that high unless they are believed to be game changers. The reason I have heard mentioned most often is that good safeties can often be found in the 4th-6th rounds.
Thus is the difference between CC Brown good and Ed Reed good.
Old 01-15-2007   #17
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP

Quote:
Thus is the difference between CC Brown good and Ed Reed good.
and there is my argument in a bag....as good as Reed was in college (he had 44 tackles, 3 fumble recoveries, 18 pass deflections and 9 interceptions and a blocked punt during his senior year and was named National Defensive Player of the Year by Football News), he still lasted until the 24th pick in the 1st round. He was a standout, a "playmaker", a "game changer", but he still lasted until the last 1/4 of the 1st round.

Now, can you honestly say that there is a safety in the upcoming draft that is BETTER than Ed Reed? If Ed Reed was only worth the 24th pick, what safety in this years draft would be worth the 8th pick?
Old 01-15-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think Moss could slide to the second because of the healthy stock of DE's that will go ahead of him. Moss is best known for his ability to rush the passer as opposed to being complete. I would look at him in the second. I don't think he will go top half of first, but he should run about a 4.7 at his proday. Moss is an edge rusher with good enough size and pedigrey to warrent a look in the second.
you could be right, but what I've seen watching him play is a explosive, upfield runner with a high motor & very athletic. Jarvis would provide speed off the edge w/Leonard Little holding down the strong side in run run support. Also thought of taking someone in the middle of the defensive line to push the pocket with the ability to rush the passer (Amobi Okoye).

there are always teams that reach come draft day, maybe this is just one example

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-15-2007   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9 View Post
and there is my argument in a bag....as good as Reed was in college (he had 44 tackles, 3 fumble recoveries, 18 pass deflections and 9 interceptions and a blocked punt during his senior year and was named National Defensive Player of the Year by Football News), he still lasted until the 24th pick in the 1st round. He was a standout, a "playmaker", a "game changer", but he still lasted until the last 1/4 of the 1st round.

Now, can you honestly say that there is a safety in the upcoming draft that is BETTER than Ed Reed? If Ed Reed was only worth the 24th pick, what safety in this years draft would be worth the 8th pick?
Well if we could see the future Ed Reed would have been the first pick in the draft. So if we could get a Ed Reed type FS with the 8th pick with out a doubt go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #20
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Well if we could see the future Ed Reed would have been the first pick in the draft. So if we could get a Ed Reed type FS with the 8th pick with out a doubt go for it.
I agree...I don't follow college ball that much so I don't know if there is a safety out there that is that good. If there is, get him. My whole point with my original post was merely to state that the argument I had heard most often from NFL coaches and GM's was that good safeties could be had later in the draft, so they weren't considered high priority.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read