Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Upon review, Texans' draft earns an 'A'

Quote:
Rick Gosselin, arguably the best NFL reporter in the country, likes the Texans' draft. In his annual re-grading of the prior draft, he has bumped the Texans from a draft-day grade of B to an A.

He writes: ''There was controversy at the top when the Texans passed up Reggie Bush and Vince Young to take DE Mario Williams. But GM Charley Casserly's going-away present to the Texans was a draft that gave coach Gary Kubiak's rebuilding program a jump start with five starters.'' (Kubiak actually had the final call on draft day, but Casserly and his staff did much of the research.)
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...o_rebuild.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #2
Koolbrz
Veteran

Default Re: Upon review, Texans' draft earns an 'A'

IMHO this is how i would grade our last draft...

Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D

This comes out to an A draft?? Not exactly. I'd give it a B- for sure though. Then again, passing on two potentially great players for a project Defensive lineman with hustle issues could be graded as an F, so no way this draft comes close to an A. Hopefully this yr. will be different.
Koolbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #3
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolbrz View Post

Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D

This comes out to an A draft?? Not exactly. I'd give it a B- for sure though. Then again, passing on two potentially great players for a project Defensive lineman with hustle issues could be graded as an F, so no way this draft comes close to an A. Hopefully this yr. will be different.
Wow. You're quite the strict grader. With your scale I don't think anyone in the NFL could pull out a B+ or better. Not understanding your grading for Spencer and how in the world can you give any 6th round draft pick a D, especially when he started for his team??? He was drafted in the 6th Round!! As far as Mario is concerned, I don't have too much beef with that grade, but both Spencer and Winston have been at least Bs. I personally would give Mario a B-. As far as Daniels, he deserves an A without question. And you left out David Anderson who was also a nice suprise in the 7th, if I'm not mistaken. You just don't seem to be taking draft position into any of your ratings. If you compare Winston and Spencer to Jonathan Ogden, yeah they are going to score low. If you compare Daniels to Antonio Gates, yeah he is going to score low. Hell, if you compare Mario to Julius Peppers or even Dwight Freeney, yeah he is going to score low. But I guess you are a glass is half empty kind of guy....
Old 01-14-2007   #4
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D

All Madden. I dont think so Mister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:

Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D

Those grades are just RIDICULOUS!!! Even Demeco's is...he deserves an A++
Old 01-14-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

There you have it. Rick Gosselin is one of the very most highly regarded NFL
journalists in the business and he says the Texans along with the Packers are
the only teams in the league that deserve an A grade. And that's with the benefit of hindsight as he points out. And he also points out correctly that its basically Charley Casserlys last Draft.
It is what it is Casserly haters. Deal with it ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #7
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Those commentators that gave the Texans an F solely because of Reggie Bush sounded pretty stupid. It's nice to hear something rational for a change.
Old 01-14-2007   #8
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D
Looks about right to me. Lundy maybe a C-, but that's about it. I'm sorry, but we passed on the most dynamic player to come along in...... in..... well, I can't remember when.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone made an impact. Anderson didn't do much, but suiting up as a 7th rounder is good enough.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
Looks about right to me. Lundy maybe a C-, but that's about it. I'm sorry, but we passed on the most dynamic player to come along in...... in..... well, I can't remember when.
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't take McNeil over DeMeco. I'm sorry, I don't agree.
Old 01-14-2007   #11
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't take McNeil over DeMeco. I'm sorry, I don't agree.
Uhhh, I was talking about passing on VY. McNeil???
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #12
clandestin
Veteran

Quote:

Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D

Hmm I'm not sure I understand your curve....but let's say B- is %80. Can you pick out 6 other teams' drafts, and justify them being better than ours?

Keep in mind that:

Only 75% of 1st round draft picks become full-time starters.
50% of 2nd rounders
25% of 3rd rounders
10% of 4th rounders

To come up with the number of starters we did (shame about spencer) is phenominal.

Ourlads has 3 of Houston's draft picks on the All-Rookie team--and I have no doubt Spencer would have made it 4:
http://www.ourlads.com/2007allrookie.cfm

We'll be lucky to have another draft as good as the last one.
Old 01-14-2007   #13
GanadoUHCoog
Rookie

Mario C+
Demeco A+
Spencer ---
Winston B-
Daniels B+
Lundy C+

Overall B
GanadoUHCoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

entirely unfair to not grade spencer. he came into the league as a starter from the first snap, and in his brief time looked very impressive. drafting spencer was huge and should be graded accordingly ... a fluke injury doesnt change that.

you should also take the round they were taken into consideration. how many 6th rounders did as well as lundy? how many 4th rounders (or tight ends in general) as well as daniels?
Old 01-14-2007   #15
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Wow. You're quite the strict grader. With your scale I don't think anyone in the NFL could pull out a B+ or better. Not understanding your grading for Spencer and how in the world can you give any 6th round draft pick a D, especially when he started for his team??? He was drafted in the 6th Round!! As far as Mario is concerned, I don't have too much beef with that grade, but both Spencer and Winston have been at least Bs. I personally would give Mario a B-. As far as Daniels, he deserves an A without question. And you left out David Anderson who was also a nice suprise in the 7th, if I'm not mistaken. You just don't seem to be taking draft position into any of your ratings. If you compare Winston and Spencer to Jonathan Ogden, yeah they are going to score low. If you compare Daniels to Antonio Gates, yeah he is going to score low. Hell, if you compare Mario to Julius Peppers or even Dwight Freeney, yeah he is going to score low. But I guess you are a glass is half empty kind of guy....

You have your opinions and i have mine. Is it not what this message board is all about?? My glass is actually full by the way..lol. Daniels is a good player so he gets a B for his production on the yr. They seemed to stop going to him towards the end of the season and his production almost came to a total hault. Spencer would have been an A if he would not have been hurt. He was impressive in the few games he played in so he gets an Inc. Did not play a full sesaon so we all really don't know what kind of player he would have become. Winston is improving steadly and i like what i see and that is why i gave him a B-. Demeco is hands down the best player takin in this draft. IMHO if you call what Lundy did this yr. impressive and deserved a better grade I would not want you as my GM. If he was that good he would never have lost the starting position. I give him another two yrs and he will be on someone else's roster. If there are any takers that is. Yeah Yeah Yeah i know the O-line was not all that, i'm taking that into consideration also. I just was not too impressed with him. He Had a few good games so what. LOL...okay now I get to tell you about Mario. He gets a C- because He was drafted #1 overall and gets this big ole contract and this is what we get in return: 47 total tackles, 35.0 individual tackles, 12 assists, 4.5 sacks two of which would have gone to Kalu and Ryans if they had not missed the tackle, and 1 FR. WOW!!! Awesome numbers for a Number 1 overall!!! Then again this might be really impressive to you. It will not work for me. Don't get me wrong, i like what he brings to the team and i think he could be a force in this league just wasn't too impressed with his production this yr. Like i said in the beginning it is just my opinion and nothing more. By the way i gave Marques Colston an A+ and he was drafted in the 7th rd pick #252. Too bad it was not by us instead we get David Anderson at pick #251. He is okay but not a Colston. That is way i did not even give him a grade. But since you asked i thought i'd answer your question.
Old 01-14-2007   #16
Koolbrz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
All Madden. I dont think so Mister.
Well then, i don't see you grading our draft Mr. ALL Madden. Do you know how to grade a draft?? Maybe not and thats why you did not post your opinion. Anyways, on to another thread....LMAO
Old 01-14-2007   #17
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

The problem with your grades, Koolbrz and Ganado, is that you're not really grading the draft. You're grading the players' performances as though they're veterans or all first round picks.

On the other hand, you also have to consider that some of these guys wouldn't have had to contribute nearly as much if we just weren't so damn thin at nearly every position.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Quote:
I think somebody missed the boat on this one.
Old 01-15-2007   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
You were talking about Marcus McNeil right? That guy is awesome.
Old 01-15-2007   #20
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Quote:

Mario - C-
Demeco - A+
Spencer - Inc.
Winston - B-
Daniels - B
Lundy - D

my only question is how does winston get a B-?? if i recall correctly he only started 1 or 2 games and at one point was the 2 string swing tackle (the backups backup) and was inconsistent when he was in. If mario started the entire season, showing his toughness by playing with an injury, and led the team in sacks (im not sure if he was eventually beaten out for that, but if he was then he atleast led the team for most of the season), and gets a C- while an inconsitent back up gets a B-, then im gonna have to disagree with u there.

Personally i would give Mario a B-, and the only reason it is so low is because i too expect more of a #1 overall pick, but even though he underachieved relative to where he was taken, he still was one of the few bright spots on our defence this season and showed promise for future seasons.

-Homer Stokes
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read