Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Jeff Garcia a Texan next season?

Rick Smith said we'd be bringing in someone to compete with the one who's name must never be typed on this forum for the starting qb job in camp. Garcia is a free agent and I think he could completely change our offense under Kubiak. His pocket awareness and ability to read defenses is very good...

I know I just opened Pandora's box by making this thread but I just had to see what yall think of Garcia being a Texan next season and whether or not we have a shot at getting him.
Old 01-13-2007   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jeff Garcia a Texan next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Rick Smith said we'd be bringing in someone to compete with the one who's name must never be typed on this forum for the starting qb job in camp. Garcia is a free agent and I think he could completely change our offense under Kubiak. His pocket awareness and ability to read defenses is very good...

I know I just opened Pandora's box by making this thread but I just had to see what yall think of Garcia being a Texan next season and whether or not we have a shot at getting him.
No, we don't have a shot at him. The Eagles love him and he likes being an Eagle. Being where he is, being well-liked and wanted by a Super Bowl contender is certainly more attractive than coming to the Texans....No shot.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #3
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

Hard to tell.. Garcia's gonna be 37 next year, and the clock is ticking. I don't know if he's going to want to spend a second season backing up McNabb, although he's seemingly done very well for himself fitting in to the Philadelphia lifestyle.

The big question here is a matter of how muich Garcia thinks he's worth at this point in his career. I honestly think this season did a lot in rebuilding his confidence as a potent starting QB, after two consecutive discouraging seasons in Detroit and Cleveland.

Does he come to Cleveland to mentor a young kid, or to compete with the guy with the 4 letter last name? That's very possible. Then again, he seems to love the Eagles, and may be at a point in his career where he's comfortable being the reliable vet backup.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #4
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
No, we don't have a shot at him. The Eagles love him and he likes being an Eagle. Being where he is, being well-liked and wanted by a Super Bowl contender is certainly more attractive than coming to the Texans....No shot.
Don't forget about McNabb.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #5
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I don't think anyone can be that definitive at this point about what he will or will not do. Yes, he may like it in Philly, but perhaps he also wants to be a starter again--and that simply won't happen while McNabb is on the team. After the way Garcia has played this year, he will be due for a big pay increase next season. The Eagles may not want or be able to spend the money necessary to retain him with McNabb on the roster. The Eagles are a good team but still need some help. I have no idea what their cap situation will be, but having 2 Pro Bowl QB's on the roster may occupy too much of their cap space.

If the Texans really want him, I think we would have a shot at him.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Garcia has said he wants to stay in Philly and Philly has seen how important he is to have there, so I doubt he leaves. If he does, I still doubt we look at him unless we pick a QB in round one so that he would only have to keep the seat warm for a year AND if he doesn't cost an arm and a leg which I suspect he will and the contract can be kept short which I doubt he will want.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #7
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Garcia is only effective in the west coast offense. He was a failure in Cleveland. With the Lions, well its the Lions plus he was hurt...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2007   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Garcia a free agent this year?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #9
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Is Garcia a free agent this year?
yep...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan View Post
I don't think anyone can be that definitive at this point about what he will or will not do.
You're right. I'm not Jeff Garcia, and I can't get into his head and tell you what he's going to do for sure. But my take stands: no shot.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #11
Cruuuuuuuz
Veteran

not gonna happen. Garcia solidified his role as a QB backup with the Eagles atleast till he's 40. That was a great run the Eagles had with him at the helm, you gotta admit.
Old 01-14-2007   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

He would be as successful here as he was in Detroit and Cleveland. Now if the Texans had an Oline like Philly he would be successful here. So would David Carr.
Old 01-14-2007   #13
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Almost every Qb in the NFL would take a starting job for a crappy team over being a backup for a good team.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #14
JAXwithanX
Veteran

Seems like a few people here forgot about McNabb. I know the idea is that Garcia is happy with the Eagles regardless and doesn't mind playing back-up at this point in his career. But thats before he surprised not only everyone else, but I'm sure himself as well; in the fact he can still be a starting QB in this league. He looked great out there today against the Saints too. Absolutely picked apart the Saints while avoiding constant pressure. The Eagles O-Line was pathetic all game. Westbrook just looked horribly sluggish and quite honestly was completely ineffective (except for the one 50+ TD run he had that was credit mostly great blocking by his TE and a horrible read by the Saints LBs and Ss. Even then did you notice Bellamy suck him up? Bellamy is 34 years old and played half the season....thats inexcusable.) Otherwise the Eagles would be playing next week.

Long story short, don't be surprised to see Garcia go somewhere if he knows he will start there the next season. He has a lot left in his tank and still is a fierce competitor (did you see the way he got after Westbrook the whole game). I'd love to have him if Kubiak thought he would work well in the system (which I personally believe he would....he is basically a more calm, savy David Carr).
JAXwithanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #15
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Considering the fact McNabb is injury prone, I don't see Philly letting go of Garcia if they can help it.

As far as him being a Texan, McNair and company seem more interested in building a solid mostly young team rather than putting something together to be a 1 year wonder, so at 37 years old, I don't see them going after Garcia.

Admitidly, I am luke warm on Carr, but I think there are much bigger holes to fill at this point, I am still hopefull Kubiak can get DC's head screwed on right by next year, and if worse comes to worse, I hope we keep Sage to fall back on early in the season if Carr isn't getting the job done.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #16
ericdoesntcare
Rookie

In my humble opinion, Sage Rosenfels will be just as successful as any FA QB that we could bring into the mix. He showed in Miami that he is a capable QB. If we continue to put talent around him, he should be able to handle the job...
ericdoesntcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #17
jayjordan
Rookie

Jeff Garcia? thats not even worth thinking about
jayjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #18
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ah I think once Sage gets healthy and can give Carr some competition Carr will pick his game up just like he did after the titans game. I also think that we need to pick up a young QB in the draft, and start having Kubiak work with him. If Carr or Sage can't cut it, through the new guy in there and let him get his feet wet.
Old 01-14-2007   #19
houtxcoog
Rookie

I say we give Carr another 5 years to get things together. All he needs is good coaching, an o-line, running backs, and receivers.

HE CAN DO IT!
houtxcoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #20
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjordan View Post
Jeff Garcia? thats not even worth thinking about
its def something to think about....just dont think it is possible at this point.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read