Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2007   #1
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default More ESPN bullpoo

on ESPNEWS, they did "Darren's Drill" and one of the questions asked was "of all the teams that didnt make the playoffs, who is on the upswing and who is on the downswing for next season?" The guy proceeded through all of the teams, and when he asked about the texans, darren responded: downswing! HOW?!
Old 01-12-2007   #2
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More ESPN bullpoo

How can a 4 game improvement over the previous season be a downswing? The jobs those guys hold down are some of the ones that you could take pretty much anyone, throw them out there and let them give their opinion. It would probably be just as informative and educated.

I'd prefer not to get started.

But.

I think that in the next few years the AFC South will be one of the strongest in the league. Colts, although we'd like to believe otherwise, will be in it for awhile. Jags, while kind of hot/cold, seem like they could at least make a run. Titans, obviously on the way up. Then little old us, on the start of an upswing that I think will be huge in the future. Four teams that I think in the next two years have at least nine wins each, at least, easy.
Txn_in_Oki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #3
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC View Post
on ESPNEWS, they did "Darren's Drill" and one of the questions asked was "of all the teams that didnt make the playoffs, who is on the upswing and who is on the downswing for next season?" The guy proceeded through all of the teams, and when he asked about the texans, darren responded: downswing! HOW?!
B/c ESPN is a lot of fluff and all about following hype. A team that is slightly improved from last year means absolutely nothing to anyone except true Houston fans.

Mario, D-Rob, and even DeMeco are not enough for the defense to get recognized.

Carr is a joke to the entire league and most of his own team's fans, DD/DW is always injured, Oline has not been very good since the team's inception. AJ is the only player on the entire offense that is recognized by anyone outside of Houston as being a good player.

The team has no player to serve as the face of the franchise to gain publicity. There is no Manning, LT, Brady, LJ, or even Bush or VY. AND we haven't had a winning season to gain publicity.

Until at least one (preferably both) of these things happen, the Texans will continue to get no recognition. Plain and simple.
Old 01-12-2007   #4
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i can accept a lack of respect, but to say that we are on a downswing beats me.
Old 01-13-2007   #5
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB View Post
B/c ESPN is a lot of fluff and all about following hype. A team that is slightly improved from last year means absolutely nothing to anyone except true Houston fans.

Mario, D-Rob, and even DeMeco are not enough for the defense to get recognized.

Carr is a joke to the entire league and most of his own team's fans, DD/DW is always injured, Oline has not been very good since the team's inception. AJ is the only player on the entire offense that is recognized by anyone outside of Houston as being a good player.

The team has no player to serve as the face of the franchise to gain publicity. There is no Manning, LT, Brady, LJ, or even Bush or VY. AND we haven't had a winning season to gain publicity.

Until at least one (preferably both) of these things happen, the Texans will continue to get no recognition. Plain and simple.

From my observations it seems to be that most analysts think Carr is a great QB simply because they look at his numbers and nothing else. I'm a Carr supporter, but some of the things they say makes me scratch my head and go 'did you do any actual watching of a Texans game at all this season?'

I also think you're right about AJ, but I think almost everyone knows about DeMeco by now.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
when he asked about the texans, darren responded: downswing! HOW?!
One word: hype. We didn't choose either of the popular choices, which made all their experts look bad. And until we win and/or Mario becomes a dominant DE, we'll continue to suffer the wrath of the national media. We are now viewed as Houston's version of the Cardinals until things change. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.
Old 01-13-2007   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

we have to have a positive record before we can complain about media bias.
Old 01-13-2007   #8
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

Quote:
i can accept a lack of respect, but to say that we are on a downswing beats me.
Because

carter08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
One word: hype. We didn't choose either of the popular choices, which made all their experts look bad. And until we win and/or Mario becomes a dominant DE, we'll continue to suffer the wrath of the national media. We are now viewed as Houston's version of the Cardinals until things change. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.
I'm still waiting for the day that Mario sacks VY in crunchtime. Maybe that'll end the debate.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #10
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
I agree, since the so called Experts were wrong and we didn't choose Reggie or Vince, they'll be dogging us for a while, at least till we start doing good...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We didn't choose either of the popular choices, which made all their experts look bad.
Right. But ESPNs real gripe is that we didn't choose Bush.
I dunno exactly what kind of contracual relationship they have with him, but
he's obviously their boy.
And what really annoys me about the Bush issue is that its passe by now because
for the sake of their rookie years in the NFL, Maurice Drew clearly proved he's
the best running back from the state of California, not Bush. He had way more rushing yards and 'bout 7 or 8 more TDs. So he was even a superior Fantasy back if you're in to that sort of thing.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #12
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

...we're only going to get respect when we...

1. Go at least 8-8
2. get into the playoffs
3. Win a playoff game (would be great if by some sort of alignment of the cosmos for that game to be against Buffalo.)
Old 01-14-2007   #13
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at the Saints, even after the acquisitions, even after the fast start, ESPN was very clear that they thought the Saints would come back down to Earth before playoff time. Although there was some respect, it was based on potential, now it is based on recent past

The Saints did what the Texans need to do...prove them wrong.
Old 01-15-2007   #14
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I am assuming Darren's Drill is done by Darren Woodson former Cowgirls DB (who is so desperate for attention, agreed to unretire and sign with Cowgirls IF they made playoffs in 2005). I put about as much importance to what he says as Peter King & Chris Mortensen.."Cowboys will win the Super Bowl mark it down"...ROFLMAO.

I think you could get a ventriliquist and have him say whatever he wants and it would have more authenticity, then what these talking head cheeses spew out. I don't watch 2 hour pre-game shows or ANY nfl network or ANY sports NFL show..I read on the internet and make my own decisions and watch FSN's "Texans Huddle"....
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #15
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys got DROY. That's something to be proud of and gives you hope for next season.

Now just hope your front office makes a good choice in the first round (i.e. Quarterback )
Old 01-15-2007   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
You guys got DROY. That's something to be proud of and gives you hope for next season.

Now just hope your front office makes a good choice in the first round (i.e. Quarterback )
ewww...Quinn Brady...
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read