Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Russell or Peterson?
Adrian Peterson 32 66.67%
JaMarcus Russell 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2007   #1
Toro
Veteran

Default Poll: Hypothetical Question-- Draft Wise

In a previous post, I've discussed the possibility of Adrian Peterson and JaMarcus Russell falling to the Texans at 8.

Before you dismiss it entirely, check out the thread and read how the draft breaks down based off needs.. It's NOT entirely an unrealistic possibility that both could fall.

So, with that said.. Let's play GM.. Hypothetically, the draft plays out with these two being on the board at 8.. Which one do you pick? Do you go with the raw, but ultra talented QB? Or, do you go with the superstar potential, but "injury prone" HB?
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #2
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: Poll: Hypothetical Question-- Draft Wise

First I go with this should probably be in the Draft Forum, then after that I look at who will help us win more right now. Talentwise they are pretty similar and both have very high ceilings. Jamarcus Russell has a cannon for an arm and is fairly mobile, but his decision making is questionable at times. That is likely due to his youth and the fact that he has a cannon for an arm. His footwork can be very bad at times, but overall I think he should be the top QB taken in the draft. True I do like Brohm maybe a little better, but they are so close and you factor in the ceiling and Russell is the guy.

Peterson is a kid that I really like. I think in our ZBS system, especially once ran correctly and effectively he could put up serious numbers. He would give us a RB that teams have to respect and gameplan for. Right now most teams gameplan to keep DC in the pocket and double AJ, well that made the middle of the season long and very dissapointing. Either way, Peterson to me is not overly injury prone, he has had some injuries, but nothing that is nagging or needs to be worried about. He will need to be taught to get his pad level lower as he started doing this season, but once again his ceiling is so high that you cant really miss.

Both prospects are very talented, but Peterson helps us win now so he would have to be my pick.
Old 01-12-2007   #3
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Adrian Peterson is my pick.

IMO in the WCO and Kubes system you need a Game manager who can run the offense effectively overall, limit mistakes and work inside the system as a QB more than a playmaker. A veteran QB should be able to handle that much easier as reading an NFL level defense will be paramount for success. Overall IMO You need playmakers at the RB, WR and TE positions to make the offense work well and thus I would go with the RB as a pick between the two.
Old 01-12-2007   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with Peterson as well. You'd be hard pressed to find a better fit at running back for our zone blocking scheme.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #5
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

AD all day
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #6
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't take either, but I answered the poll with Russell.

We need to think longer term for this franchise and not short term. No matter whats happened in the past, this team needs to crawl, then walk, and then we can run.

Russell is a project and the rest of DC's contract time would be an ideal training time on the bench.

Draft DL, OL, or DB.

Go Texans!
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

you should add two other options:

other player, or
trade down

or you could just add the single option:

neither

which would encompass both the trade down and the drafting a different player possibilities.

Either way that is how I would vote neither preferably trading down.
Old 01-12-2007   #8
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25222 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked Russell. I think it's time we start thinking about a new quarterback. I say let the Texans do it right this time. We either let go of Carr and play Rosenfels throughout the 2007 season, or we just let Carr play the rest of his contract and allow Russell a year and half to develop and learn from the sidelines.

Adrian Peterson will probably bring instant results, but I want the Texans to start developing a new franchise quarterback. But I would be happy with either one anyway.

Old 01-12-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson all dern day long.
Old 01-12-2007   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I love both. I put Russell just for the fact that I want Carr gone and think our best plan this year is to get another vet in here to play and then have Russell or someone like him learning for a year. That isn't saying that I don't want a back and don't think Peterson won't be a stud. I just think we need to look at the team down the road and we need someone who can lead and make plays at the QB position. Although I'm not sure of his "intangibles" when it comes to different things. I don't think we can go wrong.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

peterson.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Option C - Offensive Line or Secondary.
Old 01-12-2007   #13
real

Peterson.
Old 01-12-2007   #14
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C. View Post
First I go with this should probably be in the Draft Forum, then after that I look at who will help us win more right now. Talentwise they are pretty similar and both have very high ceilings. Jamarcus Russell has a cannon for an arm and is fairly mobile, but his decision making is questionable at times. That is likely due to his youth and the fact that he has a cannon for an arm. His footwork can be very bad at times, but overall I think he should be the top QB taken in the draft. True I do like Brohm maybe a little better, but they are so close and you factor in the ceiling and Russell is the guy.

Peterson is a kid that I really like. I think in our ZBS system, especially once ran correctly and effectively he could put up serious numbers. He would give us a RB that teams have to respect and gameplan for. Right now most teams gameplan to keep DC in the pocket and double AJ, well that made the middle of the season long and very dissapointing. Either way, Peterson to me is not overly injury prone, he has had some injuries, but nothing that is nagging or needs to be worried about. He will need to be taught to get his pad level lower as he started doing this season, but once again his ceiling is so high that you cant really miss.

Both prospects are very talented, but Peterson helps us win now so he would have to be my pick.
I agree with your post. Still think we need to get a left tackle though.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #15
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I picked Russell. I think it's time we start thinking about a new quarterback. I say let the Texans do it right this time. We either let go of Carr and play Rosenfels throughout the 2007 season, or we just let Carr play the rest of his contract and allow Russell a year and half to develop and learn from the sidelines.

Adrian Peterson will probably bring instant results, but I want the Texans to start developing a new franchise quarterback. But I would be happy with either one anyway.

AP in 1st and Kolb in 2nd would do what you want. We can run a verticle offense with our receivers and TEs especially if we have a break away type back. Dayne will help with short yardage and red zones.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
I agree with your post. Still think we need to get a left tackle though.
1. left tackle is not a choice of this hypothetical Question

2. after Thomas, unless you consider Gaithers, value is not there w/8th pick

3. the Texans will have to aquire a top LT via free agency or trade

4. develop one from latter rounds

5. hope that Spencer recovers 100%

having said that, Peterson would be my pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #17
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
AP in 1st and Kolb in 2nd would do what you want. We can run a verticle offense with our receivers and TEs especially if we have a break away type back. Dayne will help with short yardage and red zones.
We aren't going to be running a vertical offense while Kubiak is coach, it isn't his bag baby.

As for the poll question, my theory is that when you have two players of equal ability with equal positional needs you take the one in which that position is hardest to fill. In my mind both QB and HB have adequate players in them in terms of need but QB beats HB in difficuly to fill position, therefore Russell is my pick.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #18
Champ
Rookie

Peterson seems more of a need for the Texans than Russell. Peterson would take pressure off of Carr.

Peterson no doubt.
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
1. left tackle is not a choice of this hypothetical Question

2. after Thomas, unless you consider Gaithers, value is not there w/8th pick

3. the Texans will have to aquire a top LT via free agency or trade

4. develop one from latter rounds

5. hope that Spencer recovers 100%

having said that, Peterson would be my pick
Yep you left me with no one to vote for. What he said.
Old 01-12-2007   #20
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

It really shouldnt be close. Russel has alot head of him and Peterson is just an injury prone back. Where we pick Russel wont be there but for the question no doubt Russel

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read