Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2007   #1
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Trivia Questions for all the Texans Fans

Trivia questions for all Texans Fans ----

I have been very critical of David Carr's play this year, some justified and some maybe not be as justifiable. In five years, David Carr has not delivered a winning seasons for us.

When David Carr was initially drafted out of Fresno State, he was considered franchise QB by all draft experts. He had all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. The only knock against him was his side arm throwing motion. I don't know how the next batch of QB (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm) will be rated by the draft experts but David Carr came to Texans with very high grade.

Since day one, David Carr NEVER had -

1.) Never had any offensive line to speak of and till this date not much has changed.

2.) Never had any consistent running game who will take the pressure off of David Carr despite having Dominic Williams in the back field, till this date we still don't have legitimate running attack or elite level running game.

3.) Never had any QB coach till Kubiak arrived last year

4.) Never had any tight end to speak of till last year

5.) Never had enough receivers to throw the ball to and this problem still persists despite having AJ and Moulds.

Now my trivia question to all the Texans fans -

1. Hypothetically speaking, suppose instead of David Carr, we had Joe Montana or Steve Young or Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino or John Elway or Payton Manning. How many of these QB would have succeeded in place of David Carr with above mentioned scenario and would any of these QB would have provided us with any winning season?

2. Next trivia question, Hypothetically speaking suppose if the Texans were to acquire one of these QB this year (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm). How will they be any different then David Carr with above mentioned scenario?

3. What is the most pressing need of the Texans this off season and why ?

Last edited by dbspi; 01-12-2007 at 04:12 AM.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #2
ericdoesntcare
Rookie

Default Re: Trivia Questions for all the Texans Fans

Those are NOT trivia questions...
ericdoesntcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tom Brady's pocket prescence is head and shoulders above Carr's. Brady actually slides around to avoid pressure.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 147149 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post

I have been very critical of David Carr's play this year, some justified and some maybe not be as justifiable. In five years, David Carr has not delivered a winning seasons for us.

When David Carr was initially drafted out of Fresno State, he was considered franchise QB by all draft experts. He had all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. The only knock against him was his side arm throwing motion. I don't know how the next batch of QB (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm) will be rated by the draft experts but David Carr came to Texans with very high grade.

1.) Never had any offensive line to speak of and till this date not much has changed.

2.) Never had any consistent running game who will take the pressure off of David Carr despite having Dominic Williams in the back field, till this date we still don't have legitimate running attack or elite level running game.

5.) Never had enough receivers to throw the ball to and this problem still persists despite having AJ and Moulds.

1. Hypothetically speaking, suppose instead of David Carr, we had Joe Montana or Steve Young or Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino or John Elway or Payton Manning. How many of these QB would have succeeded in place of David Carr with above mentioned scenario and would any of these QB would have provided us with any winning season?

2. Next trivia question, Hypothetically speaking suppose if the Texans were to acquire one of these QB this year (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm). How will they be any different then David Carr with above mentioned scenario?

Have you ever played "Hypothetical Pursuit?" Sorry, man, I'm just not a big fan of such questions. Kind of a waste of time, IMO.
Old 01-12-2007   #5
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post

thats a survey, not a trivia. i expected to see something like "who did the texans take with the first pick in the expansion draft?" something of that nature. in all fairness to carr, the QB coach and offensive coordinator spots have been revolving doors. carr has had a respectable running game. nobody needs to be complaining about us not having enough targets for carr to throw to. he has always had enough to be successful. look at what gaffney is doing.
Old 01-12-2007   #6
houtxcoog
Rookie

Carr isn't losing games for us -- but hes not winning them for us either. We have to start fresh and get someone new behind center. I feel bad for Carr - hes a good person - but not a good fit for the Texans QB.

Plummer is not the man either! I'm at a loss with who we need - with Carr's salary I don't know if we can pawn him off. With all our problems I have a hard time seeing us win - with or without Carr.

I have never been a Garcia fan but man I love how fired up he is. We need that kind of energy on our team!
houtxcoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #7
Sco-tai
Veteran

Trivia : a quizzing game involving obscure facts (Thanks to Merriam-Webster)

Now....beyond that....concerning this survey, I'd have to say that CARR had good excuses for years 1 - 4. Year 5, the new staff removed many of said excuses. If he is here in year 6, I feel sorry for him if we start of 0 - 3 or 4. It would be a loooooooooooooooooong year for him and anyone that visits this board.
Old 01-12-2007   #8
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I am for keeping him around next season, because I believe Elway would have the same success Carr has had with this personel around him.
Old 01-12-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I am for keeping him around next season, because I believe Elway would have the same success Carr has had with this personel around him.
That is true comedy.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #10
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

We have all gone round and round on these very subjects. Any knowledgeable person KNOWS that this year started out better for Carr. When the offensive line became injured, was about the the time the defense stepped up. But that didn't help Carr stay off the ground. His protection was gone.

Think how it might have been the first five games had the defense played like they played the last half of the season. Both sides of the ball would have been fairly decent. It would have been good.

So, no, Carr had the start of a year, but not much protection after that until McKinny and Vonte Leach came in the last two games.

I want/wanted Carr to make it here, but if I were Carr, I think I would want to go. The fans here are down right dispicable.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
We have all gone round and round on these very subjects. Any knowledgeable person KNOWS that this year started out better for Carr. When the offensive line became injured, was about the the time the defense stepped up. But that didn't help Carr stay off the ground. His protection was gone.

Think how it might have been the first five games had the defense played like they played the last half of the season. Both sides of the ball would have been fairly decent. It would have been good.

So, no, Carr had the start of a year, but not much protection after that until McKinny and Vonte Leach came in the last two games.

I want/wanted Carr to make it here, but if I were Carr, I think I would want to go. The fans here are down right dispicable.
Are you Carr's father?
Old 01-12-2007   #12
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Does he need to be, to stick up for a guy he believes in?

I don't know if Carr is the answer (other than to the question: "Who gets sacked a lot?" That's a no-brainer) but he was improved early on, and he was getting bombarded still. If the Texans move on, fine, but I still say that Carr got a bum deal here, if it ends like this.
Old 01-12-2007   #13
srstex
Veteran

Default Re: Trivia Answers

1) Elway would have held out like he did to the Colts, Steve would have done about the same, look at his Bucaneer days, but Terry would win anywhere anytime.
2) Quinn & Brohm would be injured, Russell would be at least as good as Carr running, passing( ? ) only time would tell.
3) Consistancy on the O-line + AP in the draft.
Old 01-12-2007   #14
wolfscar
Veteran

There's no point comparing Carr to Elway, Marino, Montana or anyone else. All that anybody needs to be concerned about is the situation here, now, today.

He's not Tom Brady, he's not Peyton Manning - he's nowhere near their quality - but anyone with half an ounce of football sense can see that David Carr's development was stunted for the first 4 years of his time in the NFL, through poor coaching, unreasonable expectations way too early and poor personnel around him. That's not a worthy excuse for consistently poor play through that time, but it's a very significant factor. As far as this past year goes, you can't expect him to suddenly become Joe Montana now that he has a worthwhile coach and more than one receiver to throw at, but you can reasonably expect an improvement. Personally speaking, I think we got that. Early in the season he looked good, showed a lot of promise, then the already mediocre O-Line got decimated and Kubiak ripped every passing play that wasn't dink and dunk right out of the playbook.

I'm not saying that he'd have been heading to the Pro Bowl if the line had stayed intact - I very much doubt that he'd have even come close - but he ran the plays given to him well for the most part and showed some real heart. He now has the offseason to win some confidence from his coaches, to get comfortable with the new system and - hopefully - to start playing behind an O-Line that realise they're actually supposed to stop the big guys rushing past them every play.

This is his make or break season coming up, in my eyes. If he chokes this year I reckon you can stick a fork in him, but as far as I'm concerned - given how the various chips have fallen thus far over the past five years - I think he gets one more season to prove himself.
Old 01-12-2007   #15
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Are you Carr's father?
Yes, I'm Carr's father.....
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #16
wolfscar
Veteran

1) Doesn't matter.
2) Don't care.
3) CB, FS, OLBx2, OL, DT. And P, but this new kid we just sent to Europe may be the answer to that.
Old 01-12-2007   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

#3. Pass Rush
Old 01-12-2007   #18
Haams
All Pro

Brett Favre would have won some games for us. Yeah, with a different QB (especially a legend) we would be a much different team. Imagine a an offense where we threw a pass farther than 3 yards.
Old 01-12-2007   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Does he need to be, to stick up for a guy he believes in?

I don't know if Carr is the answer (other than to the question: "Who gets sacked a lot?" That's a no-brainer) but he was improved early on, and he was getting bombarded still. If the Texans move on, fine, but I still say that Carr got a bum deal here, if it ends like this.
I agree with that statement 100%. He was thrown to the dogs his rookie season on a poor team with questionable coaching. This was supposed to be the year he started producing like an NFL QB. It wasn't! Sure you can say he started off the year great....I can say his stats were padded early on due to the games being beyond reach (garbage time). I will also admit our Oline is below average, but at the same time I will say our QB is still below average.
Old 01-12-2007   #20
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
That is true comedy.
no true comedy is a bunch of people who sit on their butt all day and watch espn, think they know a thing or two about football.

You think Tom Brady is a good quarterback? I agree... but the reason why is because Belichick and the gang over their in New England knows football. You protect your quarterback, you have a really good run blocking offensive line, you have a playoff team. Look at the jets, they added two stud o linemen to a bottom nfl team, they went to the playoffs.

Carr is a good athlete with a strong arm, who DID VERY WELL against an eagles defense (a playoff team) in our opener. He did very well in a lot of other games, and lets see...waht is a quarterbacks goal, to complete passes. Name a quarterback who did that better than him this year.

Exactly.

Yes it was his check down receivers and short routes that he completed them to, it was because he didn't have time to throw it to anyone else. Look at the begining of the year he was completing long passes to AJ because of the tiem he received.

So lets waste another top pick on a quarterback who is going to fail just as much as Carr is, or lets build the offensive line in front of him, and see what he can do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read