Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-11-2007   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Dunta Robinson, Reggie Nelson, Michael Lewis, Nate Clements

We have a really bad pass defense...i know we can blame some of it on our defensive line...they dont get a constant pass rush...but if you draft Reggie Nelson, as you can see what he did against Ohio St. (and yes, i did see all the bad tackling angles he took, which caused him two touchdowns; but that stuff will be taught better in the NFL) Duntas play has slipped over the years, cause of no saftey help...remember when he was a rookie he had Aaron Glenn across him and Marcus Coleman at Saftey. (probably the best saftey the texans ever had;he was a converted corner) I honestly think we will be able to land Michael Lewis in FA...the toughest piece to the puzzle will be getting Nate Clements...this is how i think we should try and go after him...within the first few seconds or minutes of FA, offer him the deal that we are willing to pay him...have Eric Moulds try and help lure him in...while all of this is possible, Nate Clements does have a home in Houston! These four would be the key to a better defense...with better coverage, comes more sacks and with better pass rush comes more interceptions...defense wins championships!
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #2
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP
Default Re: Dunta Robinson, Reggie Nelson, Michael Lewis, Nate Clements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
We have a really bad pass defense...i know we can blame some of it on our defensive line...they dont get a constant pass rush...but if you draft Reggie Nelson, as you can see what he did against Ohio St. (and yes, i did see all the bad tackling angles he took, which caused him two touchdowns; but that stuff will be taught better in the NFL) Duntas play has slipped over the years, cause of no saftey help...remember when he was a rookie he had Aaron Glenn across him and Marcus Coleman at Saftey. (probably the best saftey the texans ever had;he was a converted corner) I honestly think we will be able to land Michael Lewis in FA...the toughest piece to the puzzle will be getting Nate Clements...this is how i think we should try and go after him...within the first few seconds or minutes of FA, offer him the deal that we are willing to pay him...have Eric Moulds try and help lure him in...while all of this is possible, Nate Clements does have a home in Houston! These four would be the key to a better defense...with better coverage, comes more sacks and with better pass rush comes more interceptions...defense wins championships!
Yes, this would be awesome and I would not be able to wait for the season to start, but..........
Old 01-11-2007   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I like the idea of having a real #1 CB, but I don't want a SS who I don't honestly think has any advantage over Earl/Brown.
Old 01-11-2007   #4
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Well, I like the idea of having a real #1 CB, but I don't want a SS who I don't honestly think has any advantage over Earl/Brown.
bring him into camp and see. you dont know till you try, but i think that lewis is an upgrade over our SS anyday
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Agreed, I don't see much point in bringing in Michael Lewis other than he's a little more athletic than Brown and Earl. I do like the idea of bringing in Clements although that would likely be very expensive and hard to bring him in, maybe Moulds can pump us up to him and help out. As for Reggie Nelson, he's only my 4th favorite S in this draft so I'd much rather get one of the other ones instead, at least one of which should be available in the 2nd round which would allow us to use our 1st rounder on an offensive playmaker (hopefully Adrian Peterson) or somewhere else. Either way, I'm not particularly fond of taking any of these S at #8, I don't think any of them are a particularly good value there.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle View Post
Agreed, I don't see much point in bringing in Michael Lewis other than he's a little more athletic than Brown and Earl. I do like the idea of bringing in Clements although that would likely be very expensive and hard to bring him in, maybe Moulds can pump us up to him and help out. As for Reggie Nelson, he's only my 4th favorite S in this draft so I'd much rather get one of the other ones instead, at least one of which should be available in the 2nd round which would allow us to use our 1st rounder on an offensive playmaker (hopefully Adrian Peterson) or somewhere else. Either way, I'm not particularly fond of taking any of these S at #8, I don't think any of them are a particularly good value there.
This is where we differ.

I have Nelson as my #1, Merriwether as #2, Landry as #3, Weddle as #4, and Griffin as #5.
Old 01-12-2007   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
bring him into camp and see. you dont know till you try, but i think that lewis is an upgrade over our SS anyday
I just get this weird feeling that he would be called our major FA aqqusition and to me it's just like adding ND Kalu. Good guy, but he's not going to start on any other team, and isn't even likely to start on ours.
Old 01-12-2007   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
This is where we differ.

I have Nelson as my #1, Merriwether as #2, Landry as #3, Weddle as #4, and Griffin as #5.
As of right now my safeties are 1) Landry, 2) Griffin, 3) Meriweather, 4) Nelson. I've also seen a decent amount of a couple guys like Barringer and Michael Johnson in watching other guys but as of this point I haven't seen much of Weddle, Wendling, Rouse, Zbikowski, and a couple others that I intend to study.
Old 01-12-2007   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As of right now my safeties are 1) Landry, 2) Griffin, 3) Meriweather, 4) Nelson. I've also seen a decent amount of a couple guys like Barringer and Michael Johnson in watching other guys but as of this point I haven't seen much of Weddle, Wendling, Rouse, Zbikowski, and a couple others that I intend to study.
Well, I can pretty much tell you that Rouse and Zib are SS's in the NFL. I haven't studied Wendling yet either.

How can you have Griffin so high? For starters he is a SS who I see as no better than Lewis from Philly, and I've already stated my views on him. How can you have Landry ahead of Nelson as far as NFL projections go?
Old 01-12-2007   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, I can pretty much tell you that Rouse and Zib are SS's in the NFL. I haven't studied Wendling yet either.

How can you have Griffin so high? For starters he is a SS who I see as no better than Lewis from Philly, and I've already stated my views on him. How can you have Landry ahead of Nelson as far as NFL projections go?
He plays simliar to our guys but he is better in coverage than Brown or Earl and he's a lot more athletic, so I think he'd be an upgrade over Brown at FS, even though he does play more like a SS. My main problem with Nelson is that all I ever really see him do is sit back in a deep zone as the last line of defense back there. If that's what we need in a FS then he's probably the best option available, but I'd prefer to see a guy that can mix it up a little more in run support and such. Griffin does that a lot, frequently from a deep zone position, but he generally reads plays quite quickly and explodes up into the fray of things to help make a play, whereas Nelson usually just kind of sits back there and doesn't get involved. Griffin did bite hard on a couple play actions and ended up getting burned on one, but I like his more aggresive style. Landry isn't really spectacular at any one thing, but he's very solid at everything and in my mind is the most polished safety in this draft and probably the most ready to come in and contribute immediately, although since he isn't particularly outstanding in any way I'm not especially fond of using the #8 pick on him, but if enough other people are off the board at that point I wouldn't mind it. As for Meriweather, he's very athletic and as I posted elsewhere I've seen him play all over the field, from lining up at CB and covering Calvin Johnson in man coverage for most of the game, to playing a LB in the box against Louisville, to playing the standard safety position, I really like his athleticism and versatility and his off-field issues should help him drop in the draft, hopefully they won't chase us away from him in the 2nd round if he's available. As I said before, Nelson is a very good athlete and a good ball-hawk, but I just haven't seen enough versatility out of him to rank him quite as high as the others, maybe he has that aspect to his game but it just isn't his role on the team, but at this point I haven't seen enough that I like out of him. As for the others, I've seen Zib in some live games but haven't gone back and really studied him yet, I'm not particularly in a big hurrry to do so either.
Old 01-12-2007   #11
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just get this weird feeling that he would be called our major FA aqqusition and to me it's just like adding ND Kalu. Good guy, but he's not going to start on any other team, and isn't even likely to start on ours.
but you also gotta look at something as well, hes a vet, and could be a leader, and he brings a positive attitude to the locker room, but as of now, bringing him in i think he will do nothing but make us a better team, but thats my opinion, i've liked this guy since he was a rookie, so ill be on his side
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
but you also gotta look at something as well, hes a vet, and could be a leader, and he brings a positive attitude to the locker room, but as of now, bringing him in i think he will do nothing but make us a better team, but thats my opinion, i've liked this guy since he was a rookie, so ill be on his side
I think he'd be an upgrade over Brown or Earl, but my main thing with him is he's another SS and we need a FS at some point, so paying however much money it would take to bring him here and leaving a hole at FS still doesn't solve the biggest problem back there and IMO would make a fairly minimal impact.
Old 01-12-2007   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's a vet yes, but was benched for trash in Philly. I like vets at important positions, but I want vets who aren't cast offs. I just don't see him being worth bringing in unless he takes the NFL minnimun for what his service time allows.
Old 01-12-2007   #14
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Not just our pass defense but our run defense stinks as well. We need to improve both our run and pass defense. Here is how we should do it.

I have been preaching every weeks for months that we need to sign Nate Clements, he is our key acquition. Nate Clements lives in Houston and he would be happy to sign with the Houston team if the offer is good. He will be our number 1 CB.

Free Agency:

Sign Nate Clements - Give him blank check to fill out.
Sign Lance Briggs or A. Thomas - Give him blank check to fill out
Sign Terdel Sands (DT, Raiders) to a reasonable offer.

Draft:

Round 1 - AD or pass rushing demon (DE) or Quick
Round 2 - FS - there is plenty available this year who are very sound FS in the draft
Round 3 - OL/OC
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbspi View Post
Not just our pass defense but our run defense stinks as well. We need to improve both our run and pass defense. Here is how we should do it.

I have been preaching every weeks for months that we need to sign Nate Clements, he is our key acquition. Nate Clements lives in Houston and he would be happy to sign with the Houston team if the offer is good. He will be our number 1 CB.

Free Agency:

Sign Nate Clements - Give him blank check to fill out.
Sign Lance Briggs or A. Thomas - Give him blank check to fill out
Sign Terdel Sands (DT, Raiders) to a reasonable offer.

Draft:

Round 1 - AD or pass rushing demon (DE) or Quick
Round 2 - FS - there is plenty available this year who are very sound FS in the draft
Round 3 - OL/OC
That sounds perfect to me. It's pretty much the exact thing I would do in Madden. The problem is..there are 31 other teams that would probably like to do the same thing with the same guys, so getting all of them is like our draft looking like this:

1st rd-Joe Thomas
2nd rd-Adrian Peterson
3rd rd-Alan Branch
4th rd-Reggie Nelson
5th rd-Patrick Willis
6th rd-Gaines Adams
7th rd-Calvin Johnson

Then we'll pick up Jamarcus Russell when he goes undrafted.

In all seriousness though..I like your thinking and would happy if we sign 1 of those free agents. who we sign will really determine what we do in the 1st.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #16
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Reggie Nelson on the 49ers. Landry too.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #17
htownfoozball
Veteran

1. Sign a starting CB. That allows us to take a FS later.
2. Sign an OT. Won't need to address the OL so early and we won't need to go through the growing pains of a rookie OL.

So, now, we need an offensive weapon, an increased pass rush, and a FS.

1.Adrian Peterson RB
Can't pass him up

2.Brandon Meriweather FS
No DL worth a 2nd rounder, unless Charles Johnson falls

3.Kareem Brown DT
We have bigger needs in the middle of the DL than at the end. Big bull to play next to Mario and provide rush in the middle.

4.BPA @ LB (Desmond Bishop maybe)
Bishop is a strong instinctive LB who can move to SLB. Bigger Demeco?

5.BPA @OL (Whoever)
Just for some depth
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He plays simliar to our guys but he is better in coverage than Brown or Earl and he's a lot more athletic, so I think he'd be an upgrade over Brown at FS, even though he does play more like a SS. My main problem with Nelson is that all I ever really see him do is sit back in a deep zone as the last line of defense back there. If that's what we need in a FS then he's probably the best option available, but I'd prefer to see a guy that can mix it up a little more in run support and such. Griffin does that a lot, frequently from a deep zone position, but he generally reads plays quite quickly and explodes up into the fray of things to help make a play, whereas Nelson usually just kind of sits back there and doesn't get involved. Griffin did bite hard on a couple play actions and ended up getting burned on one, but I like his more aggresive style. Landry isn't really spectacular at any one thing, but he's very solid at everything and in my mind is the most polished safety in this draft and probably the most ready to come in and contribute immediately, although since he isn't particularly outstanding in any way I'm not especially fond of using the #8 pick on him, but if enough other people are off the board at that point I wouldn't mind it. As for Meriweather, he's very athletic and as I posted elsewhere I've seen him play all over the field, from lining up at CB and covering Calvin Johnson in man coverage for most of the game, to playing a LB in the box against Louisville, to playing the standard safety position, I really like his athleticism and versatility and his off-field issues should help him drop in the draft, hopefully they won't chase us away from him in the 2nd round if he's available. As I said before, Nelson is a very good athlete and a good ball-hawk, but I just haven't seen enough versatility out of him to rank him quite as high as the others, maybe he has that aspect to his game but it just isn't his role on the team, but at this point I haven't seen enough that I like out of him. As for the others, I've seen Zib in some live games but haven't gone back and really studied him yet, I'm not particularly in a big hurrry to do so either.
good to hear from you again MorKnolle

my sentiments exactly on the safetys, I would not mind trading back if thats what the Texans want & take Landry, along with Dunta, free agent aquisitions Michael Lewis & Nate Clements that would be a killer secondary. realisticly thats asking alot, & makes my head hurt just thinking about it

I would rather take a legitimate Top 10 prospect, bpa maximize his potential opposite Mario (Jaamal Anderson/Gaines Adams) lets fix this line. thank you

oh yeah & Michael Lewis could be aquired for a song & dance compared to Clements

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #19
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I have to say that I like Michael Lewis, and if he would have kept his head on straight he would still be starting in Philly. If he comes cheap I bring him in because well he is slightly better than anything we have and he comes from a very aggressive defense.

As far as the safties in the draft, I dont think any of them are worth a top 10 pick. Landry is polished and could step in on anyteam and contribute. Griffin is quite good and likely are in a tie with Nelson to me. Nelson can ballhawk and play the deep zone, but Griffin is definately the better playmaker. Now I dont think Griffin overly understands the nuances of his position since the stankhorns(12-7) used him everywere but he is as solid as Nelson. Meriweather to me is number 2 out of all the safeties. Bottomline the kid can play and the U produces some safeties. The kid is fast, good at coverage, and he tackles the correct way. I also like that the kid will battle for his teammates, regardless if it is right or wrong. Right now I skip a S in the first and take Meriweather in the second.
Old 01-12-2007   #20
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That sounds perfect to me. It's pretty much the exact thing I would do in Madden. The problem is..there are 31 other teams that would probably like to do the same thing with the same guys, so getting all of them is like our draft looking like this:

1st rd-Joe Thomas
2nd rd-Adrian Peterson
3rd rd-Alan Branch
4th rd-Reggie Nelson
5th rd-Patrick Willis
6th rd-Gaines Adams
7th rd-Calvin Johnson

Then we'll pick up Jamarcus Russell when he goes undrafted.

In all seriousness though..I like your thinking and would happy if we sign 1 of those free agents. who we sign will really determine what we do in the 1st.
We have given huge signing bonus to allot of players in FA who are not even on the team and they haven't been for couple of years. By signing Nate Clements and possibly A.Thomas at least our money will be well invested. These guys come to play every Sunday.

Nate Clements lives in North Houston so he can be had if we play our cards right. As for the price we need to pay, yes we will have to pay more then the market because we have been bad team and no one wants to come here.

If money can take Nick Saban from Miami to coach Alabama then it can also bring Nate Clements from Buffalo to Houston.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read