Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-11-2007   #1
Eyeguy
Veteran

Default Hometown Guy #2 Cory Redding

Cory Redding DT Lions had career highs in sacks (8) and tackles (67) in 2006. He is an unrestricted free agent and would fit in very well at DT for the Texans. Redding was an All American at Texas and a High School All American at Houstons North Shore High. He still lives in Houston. His 8 sacks was 2nd to W. Sapp (10) for DT in the NFL this year. If the Texans could sign Redding to play DT this would not only stregthen our line but also change our needs in the draft and allow us to select BPA.
He also promotes the "Gift of Sight" programs to help provide children with free eye exams and glasses in his spare time.
The EYEGUY Loves that!
Old 01-11-2007   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hometown Guy #2 Cory Redding

That would be a very nice pickup for us. I wouldn't mind getting this guy at all. Anymore info on this kid. He was a monster at UT.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #3
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I like it, Lets get him and Clements and it will go a long way to having a top notch defense. Although we would still be missing a FS and SLB.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I'd like to have him, I just doubt the Lions will let him slip away.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #5
dwilt72
Veteran

I would love to have him at DT!
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #6
wolfscar
Veteran

I think he'd be a smart pickup - he can play DT or DE, and has been performing solidly at Detroit, who clearly suck. On a decent line I think he could be better than solid. They (Detroit) seem to view him as a disappointment because he was indeed a monster in college and hasn't been the highlight reel player they were hoping for. I think he'll slip under a lot of teams' radar and we'll have an opportunity to pick him up at a good price. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Old 01-11-2007   #7
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
you never know with matt millen!
Old 01-11-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why he would want to stay in Detroit as bad as they are. They don't appear to have a very bright future as long as Matt Millen is there.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I recall reading an article during the season where the Lions expressed that re-signing Redding was their top priority going into the offseason. They really liked the combination of Rogers and Redding in the middle. I think he's more than likely going to stay in Detroit.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #10
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, make it so Texans, then we won't worry about drafting a DT in the first day. Plus, he may want to come back to H-town! Now if we can only get Clements (DB)..........well there is a chance! In Rick We Trust!
Old 01-11-2007   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Put him next to Mario and VOILA...we have a pass rush!!!
Old 01-11-2007   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65637 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Redding along with Rod Coleman & Vonnie Holiday are the top DT FAs. Texan's have Payne, TJ, Maddox, Cochran and Weaver, it is already crowded for adding a high priced DT FA.
Old 01-11-2007   #13
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming everyone is healthy, I imagine that Maddox, TJ and Payne will be around when the smoke clears, from this year's crop. And maybe Dalton if he's still in the picture.
Old 01-11-2007   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Due to the amount of teams with much more cap space than us, I think any player we get in FA we will have to overpay for just based on supply v. demand. I think Redding will end up re-signing with Detroit for big money or going to a contender for less money. I just don't see any reason why he would want to come here. I think he would be a good compliment to Mario on the opposite side.
Old 01-11-2007   #15
Eyeguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I just don't see any reason why he would want to come here. .
Redding is from Houston and went to UT. I think he might be intrested in playing at home and with an up and coming defense along side Mario.
Old 01-11-2007   #16
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i would like cory redding, i think we need to have one DT pushin and blockin o-line men (maddox), and one DT actin like a DE a faster small guy like redding or weaver,
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #17
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Redding is from Houston and went to UT. I think he might be intrested in playing at home and with an up and coming defense along side Mario.
Yeah, but Redding is a Detroit Lion, and if he's looking for greener pastures, he might be looking for a team with an actual winning history, alongside some other stud DE. I'm thinking Carolina could use a DT, so probably could Miami. I know NYJ must want some beef on the DL.

Not trying to poop on your parade, I'm just saying that no matter how many positives you come up with for people to come to Houston, there's lots of reasons that they might just go somewhere else - anywhere else.

That said, if he's good, I hope we at least get in the game for him.
Old 01-11-2007   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Redding along with Rod Coleman & Vonnie Holiday are the top DT FAs. Texan's have Payne, TJ, Maddox, Cochran and Weaver, it is already crowded for adding a high priced DT FA.
Of the 5 you listed only Maddox (at this point in time) has a good shot of making the team at DT. Weaver is mainly a DE and I don't think we should move him to DT unless it's a passing situation with Babin at DE. Payne is getting pretty old and is now recovering from his 2nd major knee operation. I heard him talking on 610 radio yesterday about coming back, but realistically, I think even if he was able to make it back to 100% he won't be near the player he was 4 to 5 years ago.

As for TJ, and I assume you're talking about Travis Johnson and not Thomas Johnson, he didn't get to play much this year due to injury and I haven't heard anything about his recovery. He has been a major disapointment for the team and I just don't know if he showed enough last year when playing for him to make the team.

The rest of the DT's were the "street FA's" that Smith picked up throughout the season as needed. Out of that bunch, Maddox, Thomas Johnson, Killings, Cochran, and Bulman, I think only Maddox and maybe Johnson will make the team next season. I almost forgot Alfred Malone. He is listed as a DE but I think he mostly played DT. If he comes back healthy he could be in the mix too!

I know we have alot of DT's, but in all honesty I still think we are weak in this area and we should address it in FA or the draft. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #19
Caesar
Veteran

Quote:
He was a monster at UT.
In the past, that has always been criteria for the Texans NOT to take a player (VY, Derrick Johnson, Derrick Dockery, etc.).
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep sent Insideop. I think you just about coevered it. I do believe in sniffing a high draft pick for awhile. I don't believe
they have carte blanch on a roster spot after two years if they don't produce. Heck, Glanville one year cut a second round pick out of summer camp. If ever there was a guy who neeeds to wake up and smell the coffee, it's Travis Johnson.
And yes Dorthy, DT is a critical need on this football club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
In the past, that has always been criteria for the Texans NOT to take a player (VY, Derrick Johnson, Derrick Dockery, etc.).
Agreed. AND...I dunno how many times it has to be posted...Redding will be
a little cheaper than one of the corners, but at 10 to 13.5 million, you're going to have to pick your posion. Front line corner or several guys like Redding. I'm betting we can't have both.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-12-2007 at 12:40 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read