Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2007   #1
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Default Fox - Inside Slant on the Texans offseason

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamRep...pe=InsideSlant

Quote:
The offseason is only two weeks away and the Texans are already making a few changes as general manager Rick Smith begins his first offseason with the franchise.

The main objective the past two weeks has been evaluations. The process of critically looking at everyone in the organization including the coaches, players and trainers has started. Now, it's time to make some changes.
In the past, the Texans have started looking at their free agents at the end of January. Smith has already started that process this offseason.

The Texans don't have any of their big-name players becoming unrestricted or restricted free agents, but they do have a substantial number of players in both of those categories.
Old 01-11-2007   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Re: Fox - Inside Slant on the Texans offseason

Nice Read. Thanks for posting it.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah a good article..10x better than the usual weak efforts from the national outlets
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I didn't watch, not one game. It's not that I didn't care because if anybody cares I care. It was just my way of dealing with it because it would hurt me in another kind of way. I just focused on what I had to do to get myself back and then we'll take care of it when it's time." -- RB Domanick Davis on how difficult it was being on the Injured Reserve all season with his knee injury.
Way to be a team player Dom. I'm sure it was tough for Sage too, but that didn't stop him from doing whatever he could to help the team when he was injured.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

People handle injuries in different ways. Domanick has proven himself to be a team player numerous times in the past.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #6
Zac
Rookie

It would be really interesting if they could sign Corey Redding to shore up their Defensive Line. That would make things real interesting!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I didn't watch, not one game. It's not that I didn't care because if anybody cares I care. It was just my way of dealing with it because it would hurt me in another kind of way. I just focused on what I had to do to get myself back and then we'll take care of it when it's time." -- RB Domanick Davis on how difficult it was being on the Injured Reserve all season with his knee injury.
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't expect Domanick Williams to return to the football field based upon our previous knowledge of the situation.

Good article, though, and interesting stuff. Good to hear that the Texas are aggressively addressing the off-season, because it's definitely an important one.
Old 01-11-2007   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This article just reminded me that The Texans need to do something about the Center position.

Any good ones in the draft or FA?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #9
phan1
All Pro

Wow, it looks like someone in the national media knows something about the Texans!
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
This article just reminded me that The Texans need to do something about the Center position.

ryan kalil would be an excellent C in the 2nd or (unlikely)3rd rd of the draft
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #11
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, that was pretty stupid for DD/DW to say that out loud, especially to the press. But I don't think it is any indicator of his dedication to the team.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #12
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

http://www.houstontexans.com/texans_...ion=Multimedia

For DW full interview go to the link above and see Dom on the mend.

IMO - if you listen to the whole interview he's pumped to get back on the field. I dont think the comment is nearly as bad as it looks here in print.
Old 01-11-2007   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=El Tejano;570012]This article just reminded me that The Texans need to do something about the Center position.

Any good ones in the draft or FA?[/QUOTE]

According to Draft Scout, the top centers in the draft are:

1 Doug Datish Ohio St. 6-4 295

2 Ryan Kalil USC 6-3 292

3 Kyle Young Fresno St. 6-5 328

4 Leroy Harris NC St. 6-3 305

5 Dan Mozes W. Virginia 6-3 295

Haven't heard much about any of these except Kalil who they say is pretty good. He plays for USC, so it could be more hype that fact. I don't know.
Definately no Mangolds in this years crop though. As for FA's, I haven't heard of any yet. Also, this list from NFL Draft Scout is from November, so they probably have an updated version by now that you might check out. Hope this helps!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #14
humbleone
Veteran

Quote:

Don't know about FA but Mozes and Satele will be drafted probably on the first day.
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #15
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:

IMO, these are a few that sound like they would fit our style very well. I especially like Samson Satele b/c he seems like someone who may slip to the 3rd-4th round.

Ryan Kalil, USC---6-3, 285, 40-Time: 5.15
Strengths:
Good quickness...Moves well and has great range...Is extremely smart with great football instincts and is like a coach along the offensive line...Still has the frame to pack on some additional pounds...Does a nice job in pass protection...Is tough, a hard worker and a leader with top-notch intangibles...Excellent technician...Just a steady, all-around player who has a ton of experience against elite competition.

Doug Datish, Ohio St---6-5, 295, 40-Time: 5.15
Strengths:
Good quickness, athleticism and mobility...Has the frame to add some weight and bulk up...Is extraordinarily versatile with starting experience at center, guard and tackle...Is technically sound and does all the little things...Nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Smart and a hard worker with good intangibles...Has some upside.

Samson Satele, Hawaii---6-3, 311, 40-Time: 5.20
Strengths:
Versatile with experience at center, guard and tackle...Moves very well in space and can get to the second level...Has decent quickness, agility and balance...Very tough with outstanding strength...Superb pass blocker...Is nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Good technician...Smart with outstanding instincts and awareness.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/c.html
Old 01-11-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Insideop;570208]
Quote:

Any good ones in the draft or FA?[/QUOTE]

According to Draft Scout, the top centers in the draft are:

1 Doug Datish Ohio St. 6-4 295

2 Ryan Kalil USC 6-3 292

3 Kyle Young Fresno St. 6-5 328

4 Leroy Harris NC St. 6-3 305

5 Dan Mozes W. Virginia 6-3 295

Haven't heard much about any of these except Kalil who they say is pretty good. He plays for USC, so it could be more hype that fact. I don't know.
Definately no Mangolds in this years crop though. As for FA's, I haven't heard of any yet. Also, this list from NFL Draft Scout is from November, so they probably have an updated version by now that you might check out. Hope this helps!
Charles White of South Carolina isn't in your list. He will be drafted. From what I saw of Datish the other night, he isn't Nick Mangold.
Old 01-20-2007   #17
HOOK'EM
Veteran

as long as Carr's gone!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=threetoedpete;570325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post

Charles White of South Carolina isn't in your list. He will be drafted. From what I saw of Datish the other night, he isn't Nick Mangold.

I was thinking the same thing about Datish.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #19
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Did you notice the Notes and Quotes and Strategy and Personnel portions? Great stuff. Thanks.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #20
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/texans_...ion=Multimedia

For DW full interview go to the link above and see Dom on the mend.

IMO - if you listen to the whole interview he's pumped to get back on the field. I dont think the comment is nearly as bad as it looks here in print.
I hope the powers that be don't put all their eggs in DW's basket like last year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read