Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post The Texans are taking "tha Eraser"?!

With the Texans season over, everyones attention has gone to free agency and the draft. The consensus, it seems, in this draft and offseason is to address the S, CB, OL, DL First. Lets face it, those are our most glaring needs.

Almost every person has us taking LaRon Landry with the 8th pick in the upcoming draft. No one says anything about Reggie Nelson.

LaRon didn't impress me at all in the Sugar Bowl against an obvious weaker opponent. He is big, and can lay the wood, but his coverage is suspect. Someone on this board said he is good at everything, but not great in anything.

Look at Reggie Nelson, aka the Eraser. This kid is a ballhawk, can intimidate people, lay wood, cover, and block punts. The safeties for Florida combined for 14 interceptions this season! 14! Nelson has better speed, and is taller but not as built as Landry. I will be willing to trade better coverage skills over build any day, plus Nelson has plenty of time to bulk up if need be. I think he is the closest to being the next Brian Dawkins, and you cant deny how a premier safety can change games and even seasons, as in the case of the Eagles this season.

Dont get me wrong, I would like to see us draft one of these guys in the first, and finish building this defense. The Texans could be the next sleeping giant that no one is excited to play against. See Bears and Ravens.

Here is a few clips on the Eraser doing the darn thing. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zw7nxl4qa4

With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to DL or OL in the second either. Okoye, Pittcock, Ryan Kalil, even an outside linebacker to compliment Ryans.

There are many holes and many options through Free agency and the draft. Nelson is the best 8th overall pick in my opinion. But, thats what makes it such a great debate, but this team WILL be better!
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #2
texan767
Rookie

Default Re: The Texans are taking "tha Eraser"?!

Wow!
I looks like he lays it to 'em!
texan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #3
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan767 View Post
Wow!
I looks like he lays it to 'em!
OH YEA! Its like another Dunta on the Def-Secondary that can bring the hat!
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should draft him so He can teach Carr how to hit and tackle like that...David could of used that last season.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #5
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Looks good. Nelson and McCauley!
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
Looks good. Nelson and McCauley!
I would be pleased...very pleased.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #7
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Almost every person has us taking LaRon Landry with the 8th pick in the upcoming draft. No one says anything about Reggie Nelson.

LaRon didn't impress me at all in the Sugar Bowl against an obvious weaker opponent. He is big, and can lay the wood, but his coverage is suspect. Someone on this board said he is good at everything, but not great in anything.

Dont get me wrong, I would like to see us draft one of these guys in the first, and finish building this defense. The Texans could be the next sleeping giant that no one is excited to play against. See Bears and Ravens.

With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to DL or OL in the second either. Okoye, Pittcock, Ryan Kalil, even an outside linebacker to compliment Ryans.

There are many holes and many options through Free agency and the draft. Nelson is the best 8th overall pick in my opinion. But, thats what makes it such a great debate, but this team WILL be better!
A couple of things...

Not all of the mock drafts have us taking Landry. In fact, I have seen very few. Many that I have seen have us taking Peterson

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nflmockdraft.html
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2...t_thompson.cfm
http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/mock/coyne/round1.shtml
http://nfldaily.com/2007_nfl_draft_predictions.htm

A couple of sites even have us moving up for Peterson. I don't think so. I would love to have him, but the track record of the Denver lineage is not to draft running backs high. Tough to pass on an explosive back like a Peterson or a Lynch and I personally would grab either of those guys, but it is a philosophy not held by our franchise.

Most of the places I have seen have Landry ahead of the Eraser. Some places even have him going in the 18-22 range. Landry obviously was not incredible in bowl game. But this sucker can hit a little bit too:

Exhibit A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKaO78Ov2I

Good Lawd!

I wish it were June...actually March / April because that's when free agency hits and hopefully we'll see some exciting future Texans arrive!
Old 01-10-2007   #8
Keldar
Veteran

Looks like a great player.......but, but.....

.....he has that hair thing goin' on.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #9
NRowl
Rookie

He is a good player but I would prefer Landry. I don't like the way Nelson tackles with his shoulder; he doesn't wrap up too often.
NRowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

People were saying that DeMeco was a guy that was good at everything but great at nothing too.

Im still interested in Landry.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #11
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: The Texans are taking "tha Eraser"?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
With the Texans season over, everyones attention has gone to free agency and the draft. The consensus, it seems, in this draft and offseason is to address the S, CB, OL, DL First. Lets face it, those are our most glaring needs.
Kudos on being about the first person to not talk about how we're taking a QB or RB first
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRowl View Post
He is a good player but I would prefer Landry. I don't like the way Nelson tackles with his shoulder; he doesn't wrap up too often.
Ding Ding, we have a winner. He also gambles too much for my liking, that video didn't do anything but reaffirm that for me. Landry is a more controlled & solid tackler IMO still a great athlete though & i'm sure he'll make the team who drafts him much better than they were before in the secondary. I think the moniker of "the Eraser" fits Landry better.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #13
Tayton
Veteran

I saw the highlight reels on Nelson and was pretty impressed. I also watched as closley as possible in the BCS and was unable to really see anything. They kept saying that the DBs were doing a good job of covering, so I assume it was due in a big part to Nelson. If you look at the 2 Ohio State scores Nelson took absolutely HORRIBLE tackling angles on Ginn and Pittman. That scared me.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #14
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

On that last site they had Russell from LSU going in the #9 pick. For myself I like Carr but if Russell falls down to us at 8 which I do not but if he does they need to take him.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If we can't figure out a way to land a top OT, I'm hoping for Leon Hall, CB from Michigan. It's more likely we can find a quality safety in Rounds 2-3-4 than it is for a cornerback.
Old 01-11-2007   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

He's a great player.

I believe he lost his mother last week prior to the championship game. He's got fire and plays with emotion...something that we see with Dunta. I'd be all for him if we don't get Peterson.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #17
MrTexan Slim
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respectedMrTexan Slim is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude, dont copy my post, and act like those are your ORIGINAL thoughts. Give me a break.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=33964

BE original.
MrTexan Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #18
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Two things come to mind when I watched the video of "The Eraser."

#1: He does NOT appear to be a fundamental tackler. Lots of big plays can be given up in the NFL by not being a sound "wrap-up" sort of tackler. All of the guys that were feared hitters (Ronnie Lott, Roy Williams, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch) are also good tacklers that can get a hold of someone in the open field.
Unfortunately that seems to be the way the NFL is going. It seems like fewer and fewer players wrap up. They are going for the highlight-reel hits rather than wrapping up and making a good solid tackle. Truthfully, I'm more worried about coverage skills from the FS than I am with tackling. I haven't dug into the the draft enough yet, but I HOPE we can find a safety that can get us a few INTS!
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilt72 View Post
Unfortunately that seems to be the way the NFL is going. It seems like fewer and fewer players wrap up. They are going for the highlight-reel hits rather than wrapping up and making a good solid tackle. Truthfully, I'm more worried about coverage skills from the FS than I am with tackling. I haven't dug into the the draft enough yet, but I HOPE we can find a safety that can get us a few INTS!
if your gonna use the #8 pick on a FS he better be able to both cover & tackle

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #20
htownfoozball
Veteran

laron didnt do a whole lot in the bowl game, but neither did nelson. some may argue, well troy had a crappy game because his receivers were covered by the DB's, well same can be said about quinn's sucky game as well.

bottom line is, landry is more polished all around than nelson and is the safe pick. the scheme he plays in doesn't allow him to roam all over the place like nelson to make plays. you have to watch film on him from his earlier years. laron can do a multitude of things, and you must take advantage of every facet of his game, but i think reggie is at his best when used solely in coverage. laron is the better value because he provides more on the field in terms of what he can do. his blitzing skills and ability to defend the run are unquestioned. his coverage skills are underrated because of the scheme he plays in, like i stated earlier.

1 guy i'm intrigued with is roderick rogers from wisconin. 6'1 185lbs with 4.45 speed. inexperienced, but a playmaker. should be around in the 3rd or 4th.

michael johnson is another safety that would be a good value pick in the 3rd or 4th. good instincts, can make plays, physical, sure tackler. alot of intangibles with this kid. reminds me of demeco in that the only thing he lacks is timed speed. runs 4.55 40yd
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read