Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-10-2007   #1
cadahnic
All Pro

Default Congrats to an OLD OILER FAVORITE

Just wanted to give a little love to the Bruce Matthews for being named one of the finalists 2007 NFL Hall of Fame. He was a great player and truly deserves it. I dont think there has been a more versatile lineman to ever play the game other than maybe Merlin Olsen, but that was before my time. Anyway Congrats Bruce, even though now you are part of that craptastic Titans franchise History, you will always be a Houston Oiler to me....

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/st...?story_id=2285
Old 01-10-2007   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 18 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Re: Congrats to an OLD OILER FAVORITE

Congrats to Matthews.

How many years must a player wait until they are elgible for the HOF? Noticed that he was the only one still playing in 2001 (on the list of Finalists) the rest were 1999 or below. I quess I am asking is this his first year to be eligible for the HOF?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic View Post
Just wanted to give a little love to the Bruce Matthews for being named one of the finalists 2007 NFL Hall of Fame. He was a great player and truly deserves it. I dont think there has been a more versatile lineman to ever play the game other than maybe Merlin Olsen, but that was before my time. Anyway Congrats Bruce, even though now you are part of that craptastic Titans franchise History, you will always be a Houston Oiler to me....

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/st...?story_id=2285
Great news. He's the Cal Ripken Jr. of offensive linemen. I can't remember how many consecutive games he played in, just looked it up on that profile, he played in 296 games as a position player (tops in the NFL, don't know about consecutive games) He a first ballot HOF, no doubt.

I believe he once said his heart will always be in Houston.

Looks like 2 Lou Gehrigs in the HOF in one year, he'd be proud. If he goes in as a Titan, forget I ever said this..j/k

Last edited by Showtime100; 01-10-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: con. games
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to BM! Now make him our O-line coach asap!!
Old 01-10-2007   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

If Bruce gets into the HOF it could mean that the Titans will play 5 preseason games since they generally like to keep the two teams playing in the Hall of Fame game in Canton relavent to some of the inductees. Bruce should definately get in his first time up.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #6
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I am pretty sure he will make it in.... Just hope nothing Tennessee is involved with his induction.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #7
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Matthews holds the NFL record for most games (296) and seasons (19) played at any position. He spent his entire career with the Tennessee Titans franchise, retiring after the 2001 campaign.

Read that off an article...Sure wish it would have been wrote up differently than that....
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain says it is going to happen.
Old 01-10-2007   #9
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Congrats to a great HOUSTON football player! Always loved him and his blocking on Tecmo bowl.
Old 01-10-2007   #10
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
McClain says it is going to happen.
He's one of the few pushing hard for Bruce.

Congrats... you'll always be a Houstonian in my eyes.
Old 01-10-2007   #11
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only a great player. He is also a very good man. I got to know him a little bit during the Oiler hay days. Bruce is a class act.
Congrats to him.
Old 01-11-2007   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Showtime, I love your avatars.
Thank you kindly, Elle.

That deserves a GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Showtime100; 01-11-2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: .....
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

easily a first timer. mathews will go down as arguably the best offensive lineman in NFL history. along with his accumulated games, he also ties the all time record with 14 probowl appearances. congrats bruce!
Old 01-11-2007   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
easily a first timer. mathews will go down as arguably the best offensive lineman in NFL history. along with his accumulated games, he also ties the all time record with 14 probowl appearances. congrats bruce!
Congrats to the BEST!! I just might have to make it up to Canton for this one. He should have made it in before WM.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #15
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Bruce! I see know reason why he shouldn't get in his first year. He's a first class act.
Old 01-12-2007   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Congrats to the BEST!! I just might have to make it up to Canton for this one. He should have made it in before WM.
It's a timing issue more than a respect issue. Moon stopped playing before Bruce, so he was eligible earlier. Matthews will get in on the first ballot with what will likely be an overwhelming majority of votes.

Wouldn't it be cool if he mentioned Houston and kind of snubbed the Titans? I know, it won't/shouldn't happen, but a vindictive part of me wishes it would
Old 01-12-2007   #17
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Bruce Mathews = 1st ballot Hall of Famer
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #18
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Congrats B. Mathews. I have a football with his and Childress' sig on them. He was a big time player and I doubt he wont be a 1st ballot guy. Hard to argu against the number of Pro Bowls, consectutive games, and years playing at the highest level.
Old 01-12-2007   #19
Bongo59
Veteran

Bruce lives in Houston and still talks to Munch weekly.........they are still best friends..........when Munch was inducted five yr ago he asked Bruce to give his speech........he did.........Munch said that in 5 yrs he expected Bruce to be up here with him doing the induction for him............this is his first yr of eligibility and he is a lock to get in...........he needs no help in that regard...........he has told McClain and Bud he wants to go in as an Oiler and I think they are trying to do that for him..........Mr Adams is staying neutral on that from what I currently understand.............
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007   #20
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Bruce going in as an Oiler:

When they retired his number they used the Oiler colours not the Titans.

---

Also hope that Ray Guy finally gets his due

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read