Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2007   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronicle Mock draft

Mock Draft Article in the Chron... Alot of these mocks have us taking AP in the draft...

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #2
Rightnow
Veteran

Default Re: Chronicle Mock draft

While a nice idea I put the possibility of him being there at 8 at about 1000 to 1.
Old 01-10-2007   #3
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

If Alan Branch or Joe Thomas aren't available...then lets bring in Adrian Peterson. He is a very good back, better overall college back than Reggie Bush and any other running back that has come out since LT.
Old 01-10-2007   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
6. Washington - Ted Ginn, Jr., WR, Ohio State: It seems a little too early for Ginn and he hasn't declared yet, but the Skins would love to get their hands on a big WR since they have smaller ones in S. Moss and Randle-El.
Ginn is a big WR? After seeing his dad, I guess he has the "potential" to get big. Right now, I think you'd have to consider Ginn a smallish WR.

Old 01-10-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance may have left out the word time...like big time wr. I think it's too early for Ginn also....I can't see how he goes before Peterson.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I take that back...I think he did mean "big".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #7
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

Quote:
While a nice idea I put the possibility of him being there at 8 at about 1000 to 1.
I'd love to take those odds, I think the chances are less than 50% but not anywhere close to that low.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2007   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

If AP gets by cleveland, then he probably falls to the eight spot, cause none of the teams from 4-7 need a RB. Tampa- cadillac, Arizona- Edge, Washington-Portis, Betts, Minnesotta-C. Taylor. Unless there is a trade, I don't see any of these teams picking AP. Cleveland is probably gonna have the choice between Branch, C. Johnson and Peterson. I say they draft Johnson.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

If Washington takes a WR after all the money they spent last year in FA, I will be shocked and completely amazed. They have more needs on the lines and at DB to do something that does not help the team overall.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't see Clevland or Washington passing up Peterson. I think the 'skins will try to move Portis.
Old 01-10-2007   #11
Heywood
Veteran

there is no way ginn gets drafted before peterson, provided peterson is healthy. none. this is silly wishful thinking.

several teams would be willing to trade with WAS if WAS was sitting there at 7 with AP in front of them. the giants certainly come to mind. the broncos, eagles, jets, etc also come to mind.

i do think AP could fall to 8, but for this to happen OAK has to pick calvin johnson (based on their theorizing they can get their QB at 33). it's the only scenario i see for this, though.

Last edited by Heywood; 01-10-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #12
old football fan
Veteran

Ginn just moved down with the USC WR coming out
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #13
DenverBorn
Veteran

I heard John Lopez speak recently and he made a point with which I would agree. The Texans can likely find safeties, defensive linemen and most offensive linemen in free agency or in lower rounds in the draft. On the other hand, top QB's and RB's are tough to find in free agency, thus the best way to get them is in the draft. Personally I might add CB's and LT's to his list, but generally I agree with him, so I would support the drafting of Peterson, Lynch or one of the top QB's in the first round. I think drafting a Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson that high in the draft is a waste of the pick.

Last year's draft is instructive in that regard, in many ways. Looking at some of the top picks, the DE (Mario), TE (Davis) and SS (Huff) are all good but not really that much better than players available lower in the draft or through free agency. OTOH, players like Bush, Young, D'Brick are impossible to find in free agency and you have to get really lucky to find a comparable player much lower in the draft (like McNeill). My orange blood aside, I think the Raiders made a huge mistake passing on Leinart and Cutler to draft Michael Huff.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it my imagination or does he have Reggie Nelson falling out of the first round altogther?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't see Clevland or Washington passing up Peterson. I think the 'skins will try to move Portis.
There is no chance that the Skins take Peterson. With the amount of holes that they have in their defense, the GM would be fired on the spot for picking him.

They already have Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, and TJ Duckett on the roster. I don't know about Duckett, but Portis and Betts both have long term contracts and I don't know how willing they will be to move Portis because of the cap hit they will have to take to do it.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Is it my imagination or does he have Reggie Nelson falling out of the first round altogther?
He left undeclared underclassmen out of his mock.
Old 01-10-2007   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
He left undeclared underclassmen out of his mock.
Did Ginn or Peterson declare yet? I don't remember hearing about it.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #18
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I think he left Marcus McCauley out of the first round which would be nice. If we had a chance of getting him in the second round, I'd love it.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #19
DenverBorn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Did Ginn or Peterson declare yet? I don't remember hearing about it.
Good point. Frankly I think he should have waited 5 days until all of the declared juniors were identified. Kinda like doing a full mock draft 3 days before the end of the regular season..(just kidding, Kast)
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #20
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBorn View Post
I heard John Lopez speak recently and he made a point with which I would agree. The Texans can likely find safeties, defensive linemen and most offensive linemen in free agency or in lower rounds in the draft. On the other hand, top QB's and RB's are tough to find in free agency, thus the best way to get them is in the draft. Personally I might add CB's and LT's to his list, but generally I agree with him, so I would support the drafting of Peterson, Lynch or one of the top QB's in the first round. I think drafting a Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson that high in the draft is a waste of the pick.

Last year's draft is instructive in that regard, in many ways. Looking at some of the top picks, the DE (Mario), TE (Davis) and SS (Huff) are all good but not really that much better than players available lower in the draft or through free agency. OTOH, players like Bush, Young, D'Brick are impossible to find in free agency and you have to get really lucky to find a comparable player much lower in the draft (like McNeill). My orange blood aside, I think the Raiders made a huge mistake passing on Leinart and Cutler to draft Michael Huff.
Although I can see what your logic is, I must disagree with you regarding safeties. Usually, great safeties don't make it to FA and many are chosen in the 1st round (Polomalu, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams). Of course there are exceptions to this, because good safeties can be found later in the first day, but your GREATS are usually in the 1st. The same can be said about TE's (Shockey, Watson, Winslow, Heap, Clark) but to a lesser degree, TE's usually fall to later rounds.

Really, it depends on the draft, not the position. You shouldn't think that the majority of DE's picked in the first day are relatively close in production solely on a past draft; it really is an individual examination. If its a deep class like this year, there will be a lot of talent available all through day one, especially at corner, QB, and DL this year.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read