Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2007   #1
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QBs, Safties, and Carr

Here's my position on the 2007 draft/FA and what the Texans need to do. Although I think that Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson would be great additions to our secondary, I also think that we can find one through FA and that the veteran experience there would better benefit the secondary.

Now let's assume that Carr's job is up for grabs and we draft a QB in the 1st-3rd rounds. Here's a list of who's on the board regardless of wether or not you feel they will be there at pick 8. Also, a couple of guys who have not yet declared

Brain Brohm(may declare now that his HC is leaving, would be great in a Texans uni)
Jamarcus Russell(Great arm, hard to bring down)
Colt Brennan(I believe some off the field problems, and has not yet declared, but led a great offense)
Brady Quinn(I'm not a big fan, but I have faith that Kubiak could mold him)
Troy Smith(Indifferent of him, but thinks he would be a good fit under Kubiak)
Kevin Kolb(Let him sit for at least half a season, he should be good)
Chris Leak(I don't know much about him, but winning last night has to raise his stock. Can Kubiak work with him?)

These are just my thoughts. I think with good coaching(which we have) any of these guys would make a good franchise QB and lead us deep into the playoffs, what are your thoughts.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QBs, Safties, and Carr

A few key points to make:

1. There are no even remotely mediocre FS's available in FA. It's like trying to find a franchise LT in FA. There are some things that we just won't see. There are some good CB's available, but not FS's.

2. Very few of the QB's you mentioned actually fit the WC QB style. QB's need to be very accurate on the run and able to move outside the pocket well. Brohm, Russel, and Quinn (the top 3) don't really stand out in this area. The other QB's are not starter material for a while at best.
Old 01-09-2007   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

How 'bout a FA DT looking for starting time..........

Tedell Sands
Old 01-09-2007   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

1. There are no even remotely mediocre FS's available in FA. It's like trying to find a franchise LT in FA. There are some things that we just won't see. There are some good CB's available, but not FS's.
What about Jordan Babineaux?? Isn't he a FS that can play Corner?? or a Corner that can play safety??

& he's from Port Arthur Texas.
Old 01-09-2007   #5
old football fan
Veteran

Quote:

2. Very few of the QB's you mentioned actually fit the WC QB style. QB's need to be very accurate on the run and able to move outside the pocket well. Brohm, Russel, and Quinn (the top 3) don't really stand out in this area. The other QB's are not starter material for a while at best.
Better check out Kolb his stock is rising and he is very accurate on the run.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post
Better check out Kolb his stock is rising and he is very accurate on the run.
I don't know what it is about everyone's man-crush on the guy. He isn't that good. A solid QB no doubt, but a system guy who isn't ready to play and doesn't stand out in any aspect.
Old 01-09-2007   #7
old football fan
Veteran

Quote:
I don't know what it is about everyone's man-crush on the guy. He isn't that good. A solid QB no doubt, but a system guy who isn't ready to play and doesn't stand out in any aspect.
Some people know football and some don't and you just made the don't list.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2007   #8
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Hah, Id say YoungTexanFan knows football quite well! Maybe ya dont agree with him, but stick around longer and you will see
Old 01-09-2007   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I agree with YTF.... I don't think he's a can't miss guy.... & I wouldn't give him a fighters chance for being a starter in this league. Of course if we work with him, bring him along slowly..... groom him... who knows....

First day pick??

yeah....... ok.
Old 01-09-2007   #10
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm no expert but the guy reminds me of David Carr, except the fact that David Carr was better in every way (college that is). That's kinda scary. Who knows, he could be good and the public will cry about not drafting the hometown guy again.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by old football fan View Post
Some people know football and some don't and you just made the don't list.
haha...ya...ok

and you are?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read