Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2007   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Whispers re TEXANS

There's a sense the Texans, who spent the No. 1 pick on DE Mario Williams and signed DE Anthony Weaver to a lucrative deal last offseason, will nonetheless be looking to address the defensive line early in this April's draft. The Texans could be compelled to draft a defensive tackle on the draft's first day; 2005 first-rounder Travis Johnson has been a major disappointment inside. Also, the team could look to add another pass rusher. Antwan Peek is an unrestricted free agent, and he may not be re-signed.

no link, ESPN Insiders
Old 01-09-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: NFL Whispers re TEXANS

I can see them drafting a pass rusher before a DT and moving Weaver inside.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I'd rather see us get an OLB or DB with our first pick rather than DL. Quite honestly, I'd be pretty mad to see us go DL again. There are bigger needs.
Old 01-09-2007   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems to me that if you can't evaluate Carr because he doesn't have the talent around him, that should be priority #1! Left Tackle and RB seem to be the top spots to fill.

If the Texans can start scoring some serious points, that will really help out the defensive side of the ball.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
I'd rather see us get an OLB or DB with our first pick rather than DL. Quite honestly, I'd be pretty mad to see us go DL again. There are bigger needs.
I'd rather see us get DT or DB than OLB in the first (unless of course its patrick willis w/ a trade down). More quality OLB in 2nd and 3rd rounds than some of the other positions.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #6
cred
Rookie

Willis is an inside LB, and with Demeco is absolitley not a need
cred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cred View Post
Willis is an inside LB, and with Demeco is absolitley not a need
Willis is capable of playing both ILB and OLB as he has shown in college, by playing both at different times in his college career.
Old 01-09-2007   #8
chjoak
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
Why does everyone say we shouldn't draft D-Line? I know we drafted D-Line in the last few drafts but the D-Linemen taken by Cass were obviously bad picks. I also realize we have other holes but how many wins would we have had this year if the D-Line could get more pressure on the QB or if Carr had less pressure on him.

Its been said before, but if we can win the trenches we will give ourselves a much better chance to win the game. A great RB or QB does no good if the O-Line sucks and the secondary will always look better if the D-Line is putting constant pressure on the QB.
chjoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #9
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

While O-line remains our biggest problem i think we go after a DB. I'm thinking safety seeing as there are quite a few good ones out there... Landry LSU Nelson Florida.. theres a few others but i think safety is a big issue.
Old 01-09-2007   #10
quicksilver
Overweight

The quoted report suggests the Texan's pick a DL the first day. It does not say we go DL the first round.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the play of the DTs Rick Smith picked up as our starting DTs went down to injury. Not too shabby for bandaids. How much upside do Maddox and Thomas Johnson have?
Old 01-09-2007   #11
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

With all the Carr threads there has been most of the season you would think a good majority of peole here would place his spot as priority but I digress...

Back on topic, I have no problem adding to the D-Line again. If it helps us out in any way that improves us compared to this year then Hell, go for it I say. Not saying that TJ is a bust but obv he isn't what the previous regime thought he'd be...

In saying that though, I also agree with the idea of some board members here that we could/should go DB. We apparently need a bit o' help there as well (where don't we need it atm?) so if that's the path we/they (FO) need to take then so be it as well...

Then there is still the O-Line issue! Ack, it just never ends with this football club it seems. That is no gaurantee that the Offense n' Carr himself will improve n' make that next step up so who knows... *shrugs*...
Old 01-09-2007   #12
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

inside out. fine by me.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #13
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

It wouldn't suprise me a bit to see us go defense 1 & 2 this year. Supposedly, the draft is very heavy in S this year and it would be a good idea to get a big DT on the line to keep the guards off of and to protect Ryans. Problem is the best DT (Allan Branch) will be gone by the 8th pick.

With the exception Branch, most of the DTs are in the 6' - 6'2" range, weighing in at 300 lbs. While there are plenty of good DTs (Sapp for one) at this size, its a little on the small side.

I'm not really sure why we gave Weaver the contract we did, he's old and tired.

I've often wondered if Mario would be better suited at DT. Supposedly, there are a few good pass rushing DE in this draft. Anyway, it could get interesting.

I'd like to see us trade down and pick up a S with the first pick, then take DT/DE with the second pick. You could actually go either way with this one. Trade down and take DT/DE then go S in the second.

Anyway, the thing we need most are picks. Lots and lots of picks. Think shotgun, not rifle.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #14
Zac
Rookie

I've heard that this draft has a lot of good cornerbacks. And that is one of the reason that Corner back isn't the most pressing need.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #15
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

FS is not the only need in the secondary, we need another CB just as bad. In fact CB is more pressing need then FS in round 1. Good FS can found in letter rounds but not good CB.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I can see them drafting a pass rusher before a DT and moving Weaver inside.
You keep posting that. And I keep posting that to expose one of your blue chip d-lineman to exsessive banging inside is not a wise thing to do. The rotation is working. What is not working is there is no explosive pressure from the DT position, nor is there any simbalance of pass rush pressure when we only bring four. Weaver isn't going to do anything inside to change that in a four-three defense. They already have trouble stuffing the run. As bad as Petie is, the DT is an acute problem. The line backers can't get there on a blitz. And the DTs can't stop the run. Not good my friend. You get a speed guy being pushed up the field ...adds absolutly nothing to this defense. Waisted pick. Might as well Draft All Day and watch eight & nine in the box all season.
Old 01-10-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
It wouldn't suprise me a bit to see us go defense 1 & 2 this year. Supposedly, the draft is very heavy in S this year and it would be a good idea to get a big DT on the line to keep the guards off of and to protect Ryans. Problem is the best DT (Allan Branch) will be gone by the 8th pick.

With the exception Branch, most of the DTs are in the 6' - 6'2" range, weighing in at 300 lbs. While there are plenty of good DTs (Sapp for one) at this size, its a little on the small side.

I've often wondered if Mario would be better suited at DT. Supposedly, there are a few good pass rushing DE in this draft. Anyway, it could get interesting.
When you want to move an elite DE prospect out of position to shore up another position...that should tell you all you need to know. DT is an acute problem. Or...Go DT stud one...take a cover corner 2, move petie to Nickle on passing downs.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-10-2007 at 06:02 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #18
whiskeyrbl

I don't see us sitting still at #8 unless Joe Thomas or Alan Branch are there for that pick. With all the holes or needs if you prefer, that we have I see us trading down for a later 1st RD. pick and an extra 2nd RD'er. Even the possibility of trading the pick for a vet and an extra 2nd day pick (RD 4-7).
Either way I expect us to try to get an extra player or two out of our 1st rd pick if possible. And after last years draft I will accept whichever posisition this regime decides to address and in whatever order they do it.
Old 01-10-2007   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
If, by "old", you mean age 26, then yeah, I can see that. He's been in the league five whole years, after all.
Old 01-10-2007   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I don't see us sitting still at #8 unless Joe Thomas or Alan Branch are there for that pick. With all the holes or needs if you prefer, that we have I see us trading down for a later 1st RD. pick and an extra 2nd RD'er. Even the possibility of trading the pick for a vet and an extra 2nd day pick (RD 4-7).
Either way I expect us to try to get an extra player or two out of our 1st rd pick if possible. And after last years draft I will accept whichever posisition this regime decides to address and in whatever order they do it.
I think you are right. I don't know about the veteran player in exchange for the pick but I can see us trading down and acquiring another 2nd pick to get that DL and OL help we need.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read