Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post The Texans better NOT mess this up

IF they don't draft Adrian Peterson or Jemarcus Russell in this years draft if he comes out.

Hear me out.

In 2004 the Texans drafted Dunta Robinson, now I know he's a solid corner, but he's not all pro or pro bowl material.....at least not yet.

The Texans passed up on Tommie Harris that year, who imho is one of the best interior defensive lineman in the league right now. He's a two time pro bowler. All pro, and Like I said a beast on the defensive line. Someone that could have took a lot of pressure off of Mario Williams this year .

In the 2005 draft the Texans decided to trade down with the Saints and take a defensive player ie (Travis Johnson) who I guess has fell of the radar with most Texans fans and eventually was replaced when they took Mario Williams this year. What everyone failed to realize is that the Saints who drafted an OT, who I thought the Texans needed some depth at. The Saints drafted Jammal Brown, who made the all pro team for the first time this year, and also a pro bowler. He has made his place in the elite tackles of the league in only his 2nd year.

Now I hope the Texans can learn from there mistakes and draft Peterson/Russell He's a franchise back and as for QB in Russell, and will make an impact at the next level. With Kubiak there to coach both they will shine. He's had success with rb in the past, and theres no reason he can't have success with Peterson

I just hope the Texans don't screw up another draft and leave this franchise to pick up the pieces at the bottom of the AFC South.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans better NOT mess this up

You do realize that we don't pick until 8th... right?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Russel won't be there when we pick, and I hope we don't take Peterson. Not only would it be a wasted pick considering our running system, we don't need a RB with as many question marks as DW.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I doubt both of them will be there when we pick, and if we passed on both it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think we should try and build up our defense in the draft, but it would be great to get Russell but he will probably be gone by then.
Old 01-08-2007   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

In Kubiak's tenure with Denver, history shows the Broncos never took a RB in the 1st RD.
Old 01-08-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
I just hope the Texans don't screw up another draft and leave this franchise to pick up the pieces at the bottom of the AFC South.
After last year's draft, I trust this group to do a good job. I will be fine with whatever moves they make. At this point, I'm excited and positive about next year. I can't wait to see what we're going to do.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #7
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

I might be thick about this, but I think I'd rather see our pick traded for 2 or 3decent picks...is more possible from where we're picking at?
Old 01-08-2007   #8
DenverBorn
Veteran

I think there are franchise players and then players that if you don't get them, another one comes along next year

I think Vince Young was a franchise player. Mario - well, there are several comparable players in this year's draft. And while I don't feel quite as strongly about it, I think Peterson is a franchise player. Landry, Nelson et al - we can probably get someone in the third round about as good
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #9
Dime
Hall of Fame

We dont need a RB at this moment.. We have more pressing needs.

Also, Kub was picking last year and we had a good draft.

Have some faith man.
Old 01-08-2007   #10
LoneStarState
Veteran

We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. We do need a running back. This "RB by Committee" thing they had going on in 2006 won't cut it much longer. Not saying we need one in the first round, but they need to get one before the later rounds.
Old 01-08-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum View Post
I might be thick about this, but I think I'd rather see our pick traded for 2 or 3decent picks...is more possible from where we're picking at?
Were there any trades at all in the top 10??

I think the first trade was up to the 11th pick.

I honestly wonder how much value is in a top 10 pick nowadays.
Old 01-08-2007   #12
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

ummm just out of curiosity, I thought T. Johnson was doing fairly well untill he had his leg snapped in a season ending injury. Just a thought
Old 01-08-2007   #13
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Were there any trades at all in the top 10??

I think the first trade was up to the 11th pick.

I honestly wonder how much value is in a top 10 pick nowadays.
As I see it, the value of this type of pick would only be realized by an extremely well balanced team. A team that doesn't require that much in the way of personnel change. It would be an appeal to the kind if team that could afford to lose many picks for one great pick. With that in mind, we could get that type of trade, but it would be picks in the later rounds. Chances of finding a future gem or star is tougher, but what we need right now is balance. IMO
Old 01-08-2007   #14
Tayton
Veteran

[quote=Texian;567339]In Kubiak's tenure with Denver, history shows the Broncos never took a RB in the 1st RD.[/QUOTE

True, but how many times did Denver draft in the top 10. With that high a pick we have got to get playmakers. If we are not able to get Thomas we have got to use that pick for someone who is going to make a difference. Peterson, Lynch, Adams, Jarrett, Landry, etc. I'm no draft guru but is there a significant drop off from a lineman who is valued as 25th pick and one who is taken 43rd (our second)? What I'm saying is if we are not going to get the "sure thing" let's wait until the 2nd round.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #15
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I like Adrian Peterson, but I honestly don't think we need him. I have thought all along that with some experience, Chris Taylor would become a hell of a back for us. I still think that. With more experience, I think Taylor and Lundy will become pretty good backs for us, and with Dayne coming back, I think we will have a pretty solid backfield.

Right now, I just think we need to solidify other positions. We need another OT, upgrades at CB, Safety, and OLB. I think we are pretty solid at WR, but we could use another TE. Bruenner is still one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL and is a capable receiver when used, but he is getting near the end of his carreer. Putzier is only a stopgap IMO, so we really need another young solid TE to pair with Daniels.

I still think Carr has all of the physical capabilities to be an outstanding QB, but like I said long ago, he just doesn't seem to have the mental capacity to be a pro QB. I think I am a bit bitter now. I noticed a lot of things in the first year that Carr needed to work on, but when I commented on them, I was continuously slammed by others. After 5 years, Carr still has the same problems, and most of you finally see them. Am I happy about being right? Absolutely not. I sincerely wanted Carr to succeed. I wanted Carr to succeed for a number of reasons. I wanted him to succeed because he was my choice for the Texans #1 pick. More importantly, I wanted him to succeed because he was the QB of the Texans, and if he succeeded, it most likely would mean that the Texans would succeed. He hasn't, and so far, the Texans haven't really either.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Its JaMarcus Russell not JeMarcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Drafting hindsight is always 20/20.

This team has so many needs that we could probably go BPA (best player available). Very few positions are solid locks for 2007.
Old 01-08-2007   #18
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Russel won't be there when we pick, and I hope we don't take Peterson. Not only would it be a wasted pick considering our running system, we don't need a RB with as many question marks as DW.
Would you please kindly explain HOW AP has as many question marks as DW? I'm sorry but anyone who makes a statement like this clearly does not know the facts.

From your statement, you are suggesting that a broken collarbone and a high ankle sprain is equivalent to an arthroscopic left knee surgery (torn meniscus), a left knee medial collateral ligament sprain, bone on bone in the knee, and continuos habitual knee injuries. Ummmm....NO

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/davis_domanick

I'm also curious as to how he would be a wasted pick. Even if (and that's a big IF) DW has a complete recovery, it never hurts to have that much talent in the backfield. If he doesn't recover, you actually think that our running system couldn't use an upgrade?

While I wouldn't mind taking AP, I would be okay if we didn't as long as we took another playmaker (offense or defense). What I'm trying to say is that I'm not going to jump ship if we don't take him, but to say that it would be a wasted pick and that he has as many question marks as DW just b/c you don't prefer him is absolutely absurd IMO.
Old 01-08-2007   #19
t_flare
Veteran

No reason to take AP... look at Dayne in the last 4 games.. they system is in place... better lineman = better Running game.. you dont need a superstar RB or QB to win a superbowl.. you need talent everywhere and little holes.

Colts have great RB play, WR play , O-Line play, QB play and DE play.. but terrible undersize lineman and average secondary will make them not ever win a superbowl.

Yet you look at the SuperBowl teams (winner and losers) they have no holes.. they have good defense and good offense.
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_flare View Post
No reason to take AP... look at Dayne in the last 4 games.. they system is in place... better lineman = better Running game.. you dont need a superstar RB or QB to win a superbowl.. you need talent everywhere and little holes.

Colts have great RB play, WR play , O-Line play, QB play and DE play.. but terrible undersize lineman and average secondary will make them not ever win a superbowl.

Yet you look at the SuperBowl teams (winner and losers) they have no holes.. they have good defense and good offense.
I disagree about Dayne. He had the best 4 games of his career. He's been in the league 7 years. He would have shown that he could be a quality back in that time. He's nothing more than a backup. Chris Taylor had a good game against a bad Browns defense. If he's the starter next year, I'm not going to trust our running game to get anything going. Lundy is nothing more than a backup too. Same with Gado. We need a running back.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read