Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Concerning to Kubiak about his RB theory

Just for those statsperts out there how Kubiak in an effort to get rid of a Capers guy and bring in a Sherman guy goofed up a bit...

note these stats are after the trade:

Morency 91 rushes 421 yards 2 touchdowns
16 receptions 112 yards

Gado 54 rushes 217 yards 1 touchdown
16 receptions 80 yards

Add that to sitting out Lundy too many games at the beginning of the season, not playing Taylor til the last few weeks of the year...makes me wonder how good an evaluator of running backs Kubiak is.

Morency might never be a star/proven starter in this league, but there's a slim chance (who knows, 10%) that he might be. There is ZERO chance that Gado will be a star/proven starter. He's filler. Keep the kid who just might be a player and hope you get lucky.

This was a bad trade from the get-go.

You trade a guy who is a good back, seems to fit the system perfectly, for Gado? A player that sat on the bench most of the season while Morency was having 100+ yard games? Makes no sense at all to me.

Kubes come on man you gotta make up for this one.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Concerning to Kubiak about his RB theory

I think Gado was more Sherman than Kubiak
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #3
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I never understood this trade, but time will tell.

Also, I wonder if there are these off balance sheet items that teams keep and pay up a later date.

Example, picking up Moulds last year for a 5th pick. We bailed Buffalo out on that one because they were going to cut him. Maybe there was a handshake deal to be trued-up at a later date?

The Moulds deal doesn't seem like such a good decision now does it? Probably a push at that...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If ya have a guy on your team that isnt getting the job done like ya want.. and you know he isnt going to be your starter, and you are in a rebuilding mode and really need help at that guys position, I see no harm in trading him for someone else who has potential.

Some players do better in other systems. I dont want to change my system and throw everything into upheavel so that Morency can get 500 yards for us.

I have no issue with this trade.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #5
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak never like Morency as was evident by his comments about him in the OTA's and preseason. Gado had 6 TD's and almost 600 yards in 5 starts for Green Bay in 2005. Don't know what happened to Gado once he got here, but on paper it was a good trade at the time.

Moulds had a lot to do with Andre Johnson being in the Pro Bowl this year. If Gaffney or Bradford are on the other side Andre probably has another year similar to 2005. Even in a terrible offense Moulds still had a better year than Gaffney ever has.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Gado or Morency will/would be on the 2007 Texans anyway. It was a stop-gap trade, IMO, and was not a big part of building for the future.
Old 01-08-2007   #7
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Concerning to Kubiak about his RB theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I don't think Gado or Morency will/would be on the 2007 Texans anyway. It was a stop-gap trade, IMO, and was not a big part of building for the future.
Gado did put up good numbers with the Packers last year, I give 'em that but thats when he had to fill in for Green, Davenport, and Fisher.

Out of all those backs, I wish we had picked up Davenport in FA, IMO.

Morency was the only back we had with good speed, which was very lacking in the RB stable this year. Dayne and Lundy couldn't outrun DTs, let alone safties
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Even had we kept Morency, the idea that either Dayne, Morency, Lundy, or Taylor would be our starting RB next season would make me laugh. All three of those guys are nice guys to come in if someone gets injured, but if any of them were our feature back, I would be a little worried.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #9
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the problem with the backs has mostly been indicative of the linemen learning the system, rather than the RB's. Keep in mind that the RB's are supposed to make the single cut and go into a hole opened by the o-line.

I may be incorrect, but I think the combination of the linemen picking up the system better in the latter part of the season, and Ron Dayne (who we know has experience running in the system) being healthy attributed to our better rushing game. So I think that neither Morency nor Gado really had a chance to do anything this year.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I may be incorrect, but I think the combination of the linemen picking up the system better in the latter part of the season, and Ron Dayne (who we know has experience running in the system) being healthy attributed to our better rushing game.
Maybe the threat of Ron Dayne running into them and breaking their legs was incentive to block better.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #11
SLO Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I think the problem with the backs has mostly been indicative of the linemen learning the system, rather than the RB's. Keep in mind that the RB's are supposed to make the single cut and go into a hole opened by the o-line.

I may be incorrect, but I think the combination of the linemen picking up the system better in the latter part of the season, and Ron Dayne (who we know has experience running in the system) being healthy attributed to our better rushing game. So I think that neither Morency nor Gado really had a chance to do anything this year.

thank you, does anyone here think we actually ran the Zone Blocking System last season? Cuz we did'nt ever do it for more than a couple series per game. Why, because we STILL don't have the lineman it takes to run the thing efficiently as well as it being their first year trying to do it.

People be patient!!! I know it's been 5 yrs but in the big scheme of things in the NFL thats infantcy.Kubiak will bring us to respectability very soon but not tommorow...
Old 01-08-2007   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Just for those statsperts out there how Kubiak in an effort to get rid of a Capers guy and bring in a Sherman guy goofed up a bit...

note these stats are after the trade:

Morency 91 rushes 421 yards 2 touchdowns
16 receptions 112 yards

Gado 54 rushes 217 yards 1 touchdown
16 receptions 80 yards

Add that to sitting out Lundy too many games at the beginning of the season, not playing Taylor til the last few weeks of the year...makes me wonder how good an evaluator of running backs Kubiak is.

Morency might never be a star/proven starter in this league, but there's a slim chance (who knows, 10%) that he might be. There is ZERO chance that Gado will be a star/proven starter. He's filler. Keep the kid who just might be a player and hope you get lucky.

This was a bad trade from the get-go.

You trade a guy who is a good back, seems to fit the system perfectly, for Gado? A player that sat on the bench most of the season while Morency was having 100+ yard games? Makes no sense at all to me.

Kubes come on man you gotta make up for this one.
Bad logic. Let's try this one on for size. It's a good thing Indy let Edgering James go. He didn't do crap.

or let's try..... I bet Arizona wishes they'd have drafted Joseph Adai.... imagine Kurt Warner with a rookie running back that ran for 1000 yards.....

It doesn't really work that way does it?? For all we know had Gado stayed in Green Bay, he'd have 1000 yards on the year. Had Vernand stayed here, he probably would have fumbled 3 times this year, and be on his way out of the league.
Old 01-08-2007   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

Also, I wonder if there are these off balance sheet items that teams keep and pay up a later date.

Example, picking up Moulds last year for a 5th pick. We bailed Buffalo out on that one because they were going to cut him. Maybe there was a handshake deal to be trued-up at a later date?

The Moulds deal doesn't seem like such a good decision now does it? Probably a push at that...
our 6th & 7th round picks haven't made a huge impact on our offense. no reason to assume our 5th round pick would have done any better.

Moulds' problem was that his QB lacked vision. his # of receptions look pitiful...... but I bet they are aweful close to the number of times thrown to.

The problem isn't moulds.
Old 01-09-2007   #14
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

Why do you people dis Moulds when he hardly ever gets the ball thrown to him alot? I like Johnson alot better myself, but Moulds hardly gets the playing time like Johnson does.
SamuraiSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #15
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
thank you, does anyone here think we actually ran the Zone Blocking System last season? Cuz we did'nt ever do it for more than a couple series per game. Why, because we STILL don't have the lineman it takes to run the thing efficiently as well as it being their first year trying to do it.

People be patient!!! I know it's been 5 yrs but in the big scheme of things in the NFL thats infantcy.Kubiak will bring us to respectability very soon but not tommorow...
uhm by the third year you should be in the playoffs by now....
SamuraiSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #16
real

I'm trying to figure out why Kubiak gets the the credit for everything that was positive about the Broncos offense.

I always thought of him as a good QB guy, but it never really crossed my mind that he had a lot to do with their running game...I never even thought he was great with O-line....that's why he brought in Sherman...right?

Kubiak probaly likes ZBS, but I doubt he is the best person to teach the line how to block it....from a technique standpoint....

He probably liked Portis, Droughns, Bell, and Davis....But I doubt he directly worked with those guys.....much less had a hand in picking them....
Old 01-09-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSword View Post
Why do you people dis Moulds when he hardly ever gets the ball thrown to him alot? I like Johnson alot better myself, but Moulds hardly gets the playing time like Johnson does.
Even though I like Eric Moulds and the big brother thing he brings
as AJs sideline companion and personal counselor, I dunno what he really adds
to our passing game that we couldn't have had with young Cinci FA Walters ?
Moulds may have been fast at one time, but now he is basically relegated to a role as a possession receiver ? Walters can do that while being young and with the upside factor that is only a fond memory for Eric Moulds.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm trying to figure out why Kubiak gets the the credit for everything that was positive about the Broncos offense.

I always thought of him as a good QB guy, but it never really crossed my mind that he had a lot to do with their running game...I never even thought he was great with O-line....that's why he brought in Sherman...right?

Kubiak probaly likes ZBS, but I doubt he is the best person to teach the line how to block it....from a technique standpoint....

He probably liked Portis, Droughns, Bell, and Davis....But I doubt he directly worked with those guys.....much less had a hand in picking them....
True that...... I thought he was more involved with the offense myself, until coachDent called him and asked him specifics about the OL is taught to do a certain something...

CoachK said,"uh.... I don't know, I'll have to get you in touch with my offensive line guy"...

so you're right, and I wonder who'll be coming in to teach us a new offense this year.
Old 01-09-2007   #19
Snapple
Veteran

Those numbers aren't comparable, because the Packers are far better at run-blocking than the Texans. Plus, Morency got almost twice the number of carries.

Gado is still better than Morency. He outperformed Morency IN GREEN BAY. Compare Gado's 2005 numbers to Morency's 2006 numbers instead, because they're behind the same line.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Even though I like Eric Moulds and the big brother thing he brings
as AJs sideline companion and personal counselor, I dunno what he really adds
to our passing game that we couldn't have had with young Cinci FA Walters ?
Moulds may have been fast at one time, but now he is basically relegated to a role as a possession receiver ? Walters can do that while being young and with the upside factor that is only a fond memory for Eric Moulds.
So why's it got to be one or the other??

Just like you said, they both bring something to the Texans.

Moulds will only be hear three years or so all together, and if Kubiak could run this offense like he wants to, Walter would be on the field a lot more.

Like I said before, I'm sure David will be here next year, & I'm almost positive he'll be the starter at the beginning of the year. I hope Kubiak pulls out all the stops, and tell David he has to keep up, or get left behind.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read