Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2007   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I have the answer......

This team needs to do now what they should have done 5 years ago and it all starts in the trenches. Forget worrying about QB's and RB's. I would not be unhappy if the Texans used every draft pick and FA pickup on the OL and DL. Fix those two areas and everybody behind them gets a lot better. We've got plenty of servicable RB's, Sage could run the offense, we're good at TE, and the DB's will improve with a better DL. Maybe add a stud at LB and we're good to go.

.......and I am a genuis.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #2
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default Re: I have the answer......

I've said this a few times on here, TOTALLY agree.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds good. Joe Thomas or Alan Branch.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #4
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
This team needs to do now what they should have done 5 years ago and it all starts in the trenches. Forget worrying about QB's and RB's. I would not be unhappy if the Texans used every draft pick and FA pickup on the OL and DL. Fix those two areas and everybody behind them gets a lot better. We've got plenty of servicable RB's, Sage could run the offense, we're good at TE, and the DB's will improve with a better DL. Maybe add a stud at LB and we're good to go.

i actually agree with that as well. winning in the trenches = winning on the scoreboard. we need to add a DT that can bust apart a play at the snap and can diverse some attention away from mario williams, who would definitely be a benefactor of a great DT lined next to him.
Old 01-08-2007   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm no expert on college players but every radio show football draft guru I've heard this year said the OL guys eligible for draft this year are sub-par except for the guy from Wisconsin and he's expected to go in the top 2 or 3.

Don't know about FA OL guys.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #6
kenneth24
Veteran

I don't think an offensive skill position should be our first pick in the draft. I would rather pick up as close to a stud as possible at OLine or anywhere on the Defense.
kenneth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #7
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

PS - And find a punter. Field position is everything and Stanley didn't do us any favors last year. Another thing that would really help is for Mathis to work on his receiving skills in the offseason. Having him as a 3rd receiver that could really stretch the field would be great.
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2007   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe take Russell from LSU(IF available) and if he bombs at QB, he'd make a monster DE.
I really like the ideas posted on the draft.I would rather see more done on D because we seem to be closer to being at least average there and this seems to be a fairly weak draft for OL.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #9
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Maybe take Russell from LSU(IF available) and if he bombs at QB, he'd make a monster DE.
I really like the ideas posted on the draft.I would rather see more done on D because we seem to be closer to being at least average there and this seems to be a fairly weak draft for OL.
I realize everyone's on the Russell bandwagon after the bowl game but I wouldn't take him. I just don't think he's mobile enough for the speed of the NFL. He may get out of the way of college lineman but he'd be a 260lb sitting duck for Freeny or Jason Taylor.
Old 01-08-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This team needs to do now what they should have done 5 years ago and it all starts in the trenches.
I agree 100%. Draft 'ugly' until we get it right. We can be a winning team if we can win the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball, simply because of how control of the line makes everyone else better as a result.

Quote:
PS - And find a punter. Field position is everything and Stanley didn't do us any favors last year. Another thing that would really help is for Mathis to work on his receiving skills in the offseason. Having him as a 3rd receiver that could really stretch the field would be great.
Special teams often get overlooked, but a good unit that can consistestly down a punt inside the 20, make 40 yard FGs, and get good field position on returns can make even mediocre teams have winning records.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they used all their draft picks and FA money to take care of the trenches and special teams. It's not glamorous, but it's just fundamental football basics that goes a long way towards being successful.
Old 01-08-2007   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I realize everyone's on the Russell bandwagon after the bowl game but I wouldn't take him. I just don't think he's mobile enough for the speed of the NFL. He may get out of the way of college lineman but he'd be a 260lb sitting duck for Freeny or Jason Taylor.
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady don't seem to have much of a problem.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #12
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Stanley's hang time and placement are great if we're punting from the 50 yard line. But kicking it 35 yards when you're backed up at your own 20 doesn't do much for your field position battle.

Its good to see we've already brought someone in to try out at punter...
Old 01-08-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How about this, the offense starts scoring some serious points, which could mask a weak secondary because the defense can play a different game with a lead.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #14
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont want to watch a bunch of O-line people...I want play makers that will win!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #15
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady don't seem to have much of a problem.
Do they weigh in at 260+????? I could be wrong about Russell but when I was watching the game he just didn't seem very quick on his feet...Culpepper is big like he is and, before his knee exploded, was a lot quicker.
Old 01-08-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Do they weigh in at 260+????? I could be wrong about Russell but when I was watching the game he just didn't seem very quick on his feet...Culpepper is big like he is and, before his knee exploded, was a lot quicker.
Speed is speed. Russell may not be Michael Vick or Vince Young, but for his size he is elusive and hard to take down. He will not have a problem avoiding the pass rush in the NFL. If anything, defenders will have a hard time taking him down when trying to sack him.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #17
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Speed is speed. Russell may not be Michael Vick or Vince Young, but for his size he is elusive and hard to take down. He will not have a problem avoiding the pass rush in the NFL. If anything, defenders will have a hard time taking him down when trying to sack him.
We'll see I suppose. Raiders have first pick and will probably take him.....Anyway, this thread was about the Texan OL and DL which should take priority over anything else this offseason. If Russell can block or rush a passer than we should take a look at him.
Old 01-08-2007   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

My preference is Jamaal Anderson DE, Arkansas #1 and Ryan Harris LT, Notre Dame #2. History shows the Broncos did not take a RB #1 during Kubiak's tenure with Denver.
Old 01-08-2007   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
My preference is Jamaal Anderson DE, Arkansas #1 and Ryan Harris LT, Notre Dame #2. History shows the Broncos did not take a RB #1 during Kubiak's tenure with Denver.
But they tried to last year so thats a moot point. Denver didn't have to take a RB high because they hit on gems in later rounds, its the exception not their rule.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I dont want to watch a bunch of O-line people...I want play makers that will win!
Uhhh. Playmakers can't make plays until the guys in the trenches make the blocks.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read