Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2007   #1
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alan Branch declares

http://www.kffl.com/player/16136/nfl

As expected...projected as 1st defensive player to be drafted.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #2
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve
Default Re: Alan Branch declares

my guy at #8 (i dont think guys like Russell, Peterson, or Thomas will be there)...D-Line could resemble one of the leagues best within a few years.
Old 01-08-2007   #3
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

From Branch's announcement:

"The role of a defensive tackle isn't too gratifying," he said. "You're there to get pressure on the quarterback. But at the same time, you don't want to let go of somebody and let him get the linebacker, whose job is to make tackles. But I'm a team guy, so I don't really mind seeing the stats because my linebackers thank me every day."

Sounds like a 3-4 Nose tackle to me aka, Wilfork, Ngata and Washington.
Old 01-08-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

no, wrong body type....Branch is a heck of an athlete...pretty much a freak of size and speed ala Marcus Stroud. He would cover up the inside for DeMeco and is fast enough to pursue from side to side since he has above average athleticism.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
no, wrong body type....Branch is a heck of an athlete...pretty much a freak of size and speed ala Marcus Stroud. He would cover up the inside for DeMeco and is fast enough to pursue from side to side since he has above average athleticism.
Even with all his athleticism his stats say Nose Tackle, (20 tackles). He is not a penetrator, he is a clogger. The Rose Bowl showed that very well.
Old 01-08-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

he doesnt have to stay in a nose tackle...and we could use a two gap player in a 4-3...I've seen enough to know he isn't a Ted Washington or a Vince Wilfork type. There is lots of talk about using him as a DE in a 3-4 as well. I wouldn't sum up his entire career or future on one game.

Old 01-08-2007   #7
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
he doesnt have to stay in a nose tackle...and we could use a two gap player in a 4-3...I've seen enough to know he isn't a Ted Washington or a Vince Wilfork type. There is lots of talk about using him as a DE in a 3-4 as well. I wouldn't sum up his entire career or future on one game.
Here is what Branch says about his grade from the NFL. If so #8 is to high a pick for Branch.

"I got my grade back and it said I was a solid first-rounder -- middle to late first round -- and it really did reinforce everything I've been hearing," he said. "It didn't really have that much pull in my decision, but it made me that much more confident."
Old 01-08-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Here is what Branch says about his grade from the NFL. If so #8 is to high a pick for Branch.

"I got my grade back and it said I was a solid first-rounder -- middle to late first round -- and it really did reinforce everything I've been hearing," he said. "It didn't really have that much pull in my decision, but it made me that much more confident."
No prospect is told exactly where he is going to be drafted....especially in January. All I know is that he ten times the prospect that Travis Johnson is and he went mid round.

Old 01-08-2007   #9
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP

Quote:
yeah...that's pretty unfair to do that, especially compared to his body of work. the marcus stroud comparison is interesting, as well as his lateral ability.
Old 01-08-2007   #10
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

The one game I saw Branch this year, I was amazed by how fluid of an athlete he was for such a big man. I wouldn't be disappointed with him at 8. We need talented big men on both lines and he certainly qualifies...I love team first guys also.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #11
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
No prospect is told exactly where he is going to be drafted....especially in January. All I know is that he ten times the prospect that Travis Johnson is and he went mid round.
True, but Casserly isn't a GM now...
Old 01-08-2007   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vinny, would you take him 8 if he was available?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Vinny, would you take him 8 if he was available?
Probably, but a case can be made for a few guys at 8 I think. He keeps Guards off DeMeco and its hard to double him and Mario both. He is an elite size/speed prospect for his position so I'd have to be sold on a heck of a prospect not to take him. Push up the middle flushes QB's to guys like Mario.

Old 01-08-2007   #14
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Probably, but a case can be made for a few guys at 8 I think. He keeps Guards off DeMeco and its hard to double him and Mario both. He is an elite size/speed prospect for his position so I'd have to be sold on a heck of a prospect not to take him. Push up the middle flushes QB's to guys like Mario.
I don't really see him making it to us. Of course nothing is a sure thing but I don't think we would be that lucky.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #15
Heywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269 View Post
I don't really see him making it to us. Of course nothing is a sure thing but I don't think we would be that lucky.

he won't last until 8. he has #1 pick tangibles and intangibles. i mentioned him in here 2 weeks ago in the context of the #1 pick, as a guy who will grade out at least as high as joe thomas, likely higher, but in a draft with some remarkable skill position players at the top.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #16
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

i have read alot of chatter of him going to the Redskins with the #6 pick. apparently they are looking for D-Line help BAD. but that was before guys like russell and anderson declared and maybe pushed branch's position down a bit...hopefully. if anybody needs any help realizing what a game changing player a DT can be, look at Richard Seymour of NE. he was was drafted at #6 in the 2001 Draft...i'd take branch that high if he could do for the Houston D what Seymour did for NE.
Old 01-09-2007   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Branch said the NFL said mid to late 1st RD, it agrees with everything he has been hearing. Also fits in with where Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata were drafted.
Old 01-09-2007   #18
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:

Remember when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. They had Siragusa (spelling?) and Sam Adams as their DT's. Those guys were like having two nose tackles on the field at the same time. The occupied the offensive lineman, and Ray Lewis and the linebackers were free to roam the field and make plays without worrying about the offensive lineman.

We would need better linebackers to make this work, but you can use a nose tackle type player in a 4-3.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #19
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Branch said the NFL said mid to late 1st RD, it agrees with everything he has been hearing. Also fits in with where Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata were drafted.
i think branch is being a bit modest, it seems like he is likely to be one of the top 1-2 DL players taken. but i am sure he doesnt want to pretend like he is an executive and overvalue himself.
Old 01-09-2007   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2100 View Post
Remember when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. They had Siragusa (spelling?) and Sam Adams as their DT's. Those guys were like having two nose tackles on the field at the same time. The occupied the offensive lineman, and Ray Lewis and the linebackers were free to roam the field and make plays without worrying about the offensive lineman.

We would need better linebackers to make this work, but you can use a nose tackle type player in a 4-3.
True, but the Texans are not getting pressure on the QB. They don't need a run clogging DT. They need penetrating DTs like the 4-3 is designed for. That has been part of the problem with the Texans drafts in the past, drafting players who will play out of there natural position. Also it is easier to pick up a good penetrating DT (Coleman, Holliday) via FA than it is to find a premier DE. Pick up a good penetrating DT via FA draft Jamaal Anderson and the Texans have a 4 man front who can create great pressure the QB. Think of it as having Reggie White on one side and Julius Peppers on the other.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read