Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2004   #21
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if we are going to draft a back.. id like us to do it in the first. Im tired of questionable RBs... give me a sure thing.. like David Carr or Andre Johnson. Preferrably someone big and very hard to tackle. Ronnie Brown sounds nice.

If there is one thing about this front office that i like its that every pick we make in the first round has been solid. We havent made any bad decisions.. not yet anyway.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #22
SESupergenius

It's unreal how we can be 3rd and 1 and not pick up 1st down with a run. Is that DD or the offensive line? Car will also put up horrible numbers if the line is playing well, we've seen that already. We seem to be more effective in 3 wr sets than 2 TE ones. I'd love to see us start a game like we finished against Minnesota, then maybe we can get a lead......and then run out the clock with nothing but conversative plays.....and oh.....oh, that was last year against the Jets. Maybe iI'll just keep quiet and see what surprises the coaches have this week.
Old 10-12-2004   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I see us using our 2 third round picks to trade up in the draft and grabbing a 1st round caliber rb that hopefully slips down a little bit, if none of our backs step up this year and grabs the job. Another thing though is DD could be going through the sophmore slump like many players do so the team might be patient with him and see how the whole situation pans out. We have so many needs on this team though. I swear I was really excited about our lines at the begining of this season, but I have been greatly disapointed. The season is still young however so hopefully they can turn this around, If the don't Charlie is going to be a busy man. BTW does anybody know what round Chris Brown was taken in because that guy is a stud and nobody in Tennesse even remebers Eddie.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #24
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
BTW does anybody know what round Chris Brown was taken in because that guy is a stud and nobody in Tennesse even remebers Eddie.
The end of the third round. The three that went before him are McGahee, Johnson, and Musa Smith. Hmmmm... Maybe we don't need to spend a first or second on a RB. In 2002 the only RB's drafted in the first round were William Green and T.J. Duckett.
Old 10-13-2004   #25
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The way this coaching staff uses their rbs we need to have a big workhorse type back with good speed that can handle the load, because DD is just to small and hasn't proven that he can take the beating of a whole season of carries, hes already missed 2 games this season.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #26
phan1
All Pro

I agree with the general consensus that DD is a RUNNING BACK, not a reciever. We are not the Chargers, our runningback does not have to make up 50% of our offense. Let DD run the ball, let Carr throw to his recievers. No more of these quick dump offs to DD. If anything, have Miller as Carr's "blanket" rather than DD out of the backfield.

But DD is still our back guys. He's the best RB we have and we need him. I didn't see the Vickings game (had to listen through the radio), but why couldn't we run the ball? I'm assuming our O-line couldn't create holes to run through (like at Arrowhead). I've seen DD throughout and it's hard to believe that he's missed a step this season. He is NOT an Anthony Thomas.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #27
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
It's unreal how we can be 3rd and 1 and not pick up 1st down with a run. Is that DD or the offensive line? Car will also put up horrible numbers if the line is playing well, we've seen that already. We seem to be more effective in 3 wr sets than 2 TE ones. I'd love to see us start a game like we finished against Minnesota, then maybe we can get a lead......and then run out the clock with nothing but conversative plays.....and oh.....oh, that was last year against the Jets. Maybe iI'll just keep quiet and see what surprises the coaches have this week.
He didn't get sacked in the Oakland game and put up some nice numbers. I can't believe that Carr plays better when the O-line is playing crappy.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2004   #28
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Darren Sproles. That little bugger can run!
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #29
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
Darren Sproles. That little bugger can run!
Sproles can run every other game, but on the odd (or is it even?) weeks he runs worse than syrup on a winter day in Minnesota.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #30
Rosusu
All Pro

I dont think we should put down dom too much just after a few games. He has had some injuries this season and once he gets fully recovered I think he will be back to his normal stuff. Remember last season when everyone was saying how we got the back of the future? Let him get to 100% and if he is still not doing that well then we can have some comments.
Old 10-14-2004   #31
Low Life
Rookie

Default hmmm...

i could be wrong and usually am but here's my forecast for this sunday.
i think they will once again run domanick to start it out (first quarter) and then use a bunch of slant passes (gaffney & armstrong) and short tight end plays to open up the run late in the first half. then they will come out firing deep in the third quarter only to let domanick run in the fourth since we'll have the lead by a tremendous margin and we'll of course want to run out the clock. i say that domanick has no more than 3 receptions but reaches the century marker.

i can't tell if this is laughable or probable. sorry.
Low Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #32
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Sproles has turned into a fumbling machine.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #33
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Kay Jay Harris is the answer
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #34
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Kay Jay Harris is the answer
Last year Harris backed up Quincy Wilson at WV. Wilson was drafted by the Falcons in the seventh round, and is currently on the practice squad. I know Harris is a good college back, but he could'nt beat out a guy who's on the Falcons practice squad. Plus he has had some nagging injury lately.
Old 10-14-2004   #35
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
I dont think we should put down dom too much just after a few games. He has had some injuries this season and once he gets fully recovered I think he will be back to his normal stuff. Remember last season when everyone was saying how we got the back of the future? Let him get to 100% and if he is still not doing that well then we can have some comments.
I never said Davis was a franchise back.

The same thing happened last year (read the stats): http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...read.php?t=909

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

The problem with the DD haters is the same thing with the Clinton Portis lovers--oversimplification. DD and Portis do well with good blocking. Look at the games that DD did well in and the OL was producing something--the one constant for DD is he will probably get 1-2 yards after what most RB's would get on 2nd effort. In the games that DD has done poorly in it is obvious there are no running lanes. Portis did great for 2 years in Denver averaging 5.5 ypc. Now, take out the first run of the season this year and he is under 3 ypc. IMO both backs will make the most out of what they are given (Portis more on breakaway runs and DD more on yards after contact but that makes the results even more stark) but you have to give them something to work with.

So if the blocking explains DD & Portis' running this year, the only DD issue is the dump-down passes. REAL SIMPLE FOLKS--he doesn't call those so they don't justify making him a 3rd down only back, calling for Wells, etc.--the check-offs are 1000% the responsibility of Palmer/Carr. DD releases and goes to the area designated and then catches the ball if thrown to him--and very ably since he averages over 10 ypc on them. So, JMO but their are fair criticsms of not getting good progressions from Palmer/Carr, but they shouldn't be laid at DD's feet.

One last thought, someone want to conjecture what DD would have had yardage wise behind Denver's OL last year, or KC's? Care to conjecture on what Portis or Holmes would have had behind ours? Folks have a real tendency to say he is no Portis or Holmes--I agree, I say he is a DD and they aren't him. Evidently Portis isn't himself in DC.

Team sport--that should sum it up.
Old 10-14-2004   #37
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
... IMO both backs will make the most out of what they are given (Portis more on breakaway runs and DD more on yards after contact but that makes the results even more stark) but you have to give them something to work with...
I agree with your post, but can't leave any comparison of Portis and Davis without commenting on the attitude of the two. I feel that Davis is a team player and will continue to work hard to improve and to help the team. Portis' attitude makes me nervous.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I agree with your post, but can't leave any comparison of Portis and Davis without commenting on the attitude of the two. I feel that Davis is a team player and will continue to work hard to improve and to help the team. Portis' attitude makes me nervous.
There is a huge difference IMO between Portis/TO who are motivated to be recognized as the great players they think they already are (scream at coaches, give interviews blaming the obvious play-calling, etc.) and DD/AJ who quietly show dedication to being the best than can and helping their team.

Anybody want to give an over/under on the who yells at a coach on the sideline first DD vs. Portis or TO vs. AJ?
Old 10-14-2004   #39
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

thank you infantry for being pateint enough to post what ive been thinking since the DD hating began after his less than expected start of season. just letting you know your not alone
Old 10-15-2004   #40
GI-Dawgs
Rookie

Davis is probable running a bit tenative right now because of the early fumbles. He should get past that. Plus he wasn't quite 100% last week. Davis should be a compliment to this offense and not the focal point. With his receiving skills he adds more to the O than Wells.

Portis looks overated at this point. Take a way his first run of the year, 64 yd TD, and he hasn't done anything as stated in an early post. This zone blocking scheme being used by Houston will make average backs good and good backs great and if ya have a great back you can see 2,000 yards rushing in this system.
GI-Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read