Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2007   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default kastofsna's Latest Mock

1. Oakland - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech - No-brainer. Best player in the draft. I can't see how he won't go #1.
2. Detroit - JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU - It's evident that Russell is ahead of Quinn on a lot of draft boards right now. But on Detroit's? Hard to say. We'll see.
3. Cleveland - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame - The hometown kid. Cleveland can go a lot of ways with this pick, but ya can't pass on a franchise QB.
4. Tampa Bay - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin - Very simple pick, he's the best player and the Bucs' biggest need is LT.
5. Arizona - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson - One of the worst pass rushes in the league gets a nice little boost.
6. Washington - Alan Branch, DT, Michigan - Branch is a man-child. Completely takes over the game when he's in there.
7. Minnesota - Ted Ginn, Jr, WR, Ohio State - They need a WR, they go after the best one after Johnson.
8. Houston - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma - Quite a steal here for the Texans. If Russell doesn't enter, could be a different story.
9. Miami - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville - You don't pass on franchise QB's; they don't come around often, especially if you're Miami.
10. Atlanta - Reggie Nelson, S, Florida - Ballhawk and playmaker for a soft Atlanta secondary.
11. San Francisco - LaRon Landry, S, LSU - Great player, great leader, great instinct for the ball. The Niners need someone like Landry.
12. Buffalo - Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh - Nate Clements looks to be gone, so this will be a nice replacement.
13. St Louis - Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas - Murderer Leonard Little is staying, but there's a combined 1.5 sacks from the other DE's on the roster. Anderson is a beast. Good value pick.
14. Carolina - Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss - Not their most pressing need with Dan Morgan's recent clearance to play, but they can't go wrong with Willis.
15. Pittsburgh - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona - One of the Steelers' downfalls this year was in the secondary, and Cason is a true shutdown corner. Interesting to see how the team goes post-Cowher
16. Green Bay - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal - Ahman Green won't be around forever. Lynch fits the offense and will provide an immediate spark and is always a homerun threat.
17. Jacksonville - Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State - Extremely inconsistent, the Jags need a good leader on the defense to help maintain discipline and also make plays. Jack Del Rio sees a lot of himself in Posluszny, I bet.
18. Cincinnati - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State - The Bengals haven't had a good DT in a while, and it's about time they address that.
19. Tennessee - Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina - The Titans sport the worst defense in the league, but they don't have much of a real dangerous threat at WR, either. Good value.
20. New York Giants - Amobi Akoye, DT, Louisville - Solid front 4, but they could use more help on the interior.
21. Denver - Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska - All those ex-Browns are playing fine, but they aren't going to scare anyone. Carriker is a freak and could really REALLY do some damage if he's not given a watchful eye.
22. Dallas - Jared Gaither, T, Maryland - Gaither, whilst not the most technically sound, has amazing measurables and could see himself drafted much higher on draft day than his play truly dictates. Still, if he develops fully, watch out. Premium LT.
23. Kansas City - Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC - The Chiefs have lacked a playmaker at WR for a while despite Trent Green's great success, mostly due to the running game and Tony Gonzalez. It'll be nice to have SEVERAL options.
24. New England - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State - The Pat Hill ties are obvious, and the Patriots will need a CB with Asante Samuel hitting the market.
25. New York Jets - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan - Good value pick, and the Jets are pretty green overall and just not that good at CB.
26. New Orleans - DeMarcus Tyler, DT, NC State - Despite the great season for the resurgent Saints, they still lack good interior play on defense. Tyler is one of 4 1st rounders for the Wolfpack's front 4 the last two seasons.
27. Philadelphia - Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU - Reggie Brown and Donte Stallworth are nice, but neither are big guys that move the chains and can pick up big YAC with their physicallity alone. Bowe has a Michael Clayton-feel to him.
28. New England - Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee - All those Florida receivers have somehow performed pretty damn well, although that's mostly due to Tom Brady. They need a real playmaker and gamebreaker, not just someone to move the chains.
29. Indianapolis - HB Blades, LB, Pittsburgh - Pretty much a perfect fit for the Mike LB in Tony Dungy's defense.
30. Baltimore - Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State - It'd be a crime if Smith doesn't make it in the first round somehow. This seems as logical of a spot as any.
31. Chicago - Jon Beason, LB, Miami (FL) - Lance Briggs could be gone. If he is, Beason fits the mold perfectly, athletically speaking.
32. San Diego - Michael Griffin, S, Texas - Not great safety play from the Chargers this year, not that it's really mattered.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #2
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: kastofsna's Latest Mock

Good work.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

hard to argue with team needs or players rankings in the order you have them. things will certainly change, underclassman declaration Jan 15th. BCS Championship game, College All-Star games, combine, College Pro-days and personel interviews/workouts.

you presented a well thought out starting point, the best I've seen so far, nice mock

rep your way

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #4
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sign Me up! Is he comming out or NOT?
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, let's trade back to #12 and pick up another early 3rd pick and Jamaal Anderson.
Old 01-08-2007   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Looks good, no real major arguments here.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

About the Panthers: I doubt Morgan will be with them next year.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2007   #8
DenverBorn
Veteran

I'm as big a Longhorn homer as anyone but I just don't get mocks that have Aaron Ross or Michael Griffin in the first round. Just like I don't understand Ross winning the Thorpe award. Am I missing something? Were these great athletes playing in a bad scheme?
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #9
jjcorvallis
Rookie

Why Adrian Peterson? We already have Ron Dayne, Chris Taylor, and now Dom Davis/Williams is coming back. And do you really think we need another runningback? And Adrian Peterson is injury prone. Behind our offensive line, he will last only few weeks and get a season ending injury. Unless he split carries with 4 different guys.
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #10
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Here's an interesting draft board:

Oakland-Russell (Peter King says this will be the pick)
Detroit- Quinn (No brainer)
Cleveland- Peterson (No brainer)

The conventional wisdom says Tampa needs Joe Thomas, he's a top notch talent in a need area. Arizona doesn't need Calvin Johnson, they've already got the best WR corps in football. His slide would end with the Redskins. Tampa could take CJ too, but they've gotta go line to get a running game.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Dwayne Jarrettgoing to Tenn rather than KC.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #12
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

I think the Raiders like Russel
Old 01-08-2007   #13
jjcorvallis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
I think the Raiders like Russel
Al Davis don't draft QB at 1st round.
jjcorvallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorvallis View Post
Why Adrian Peterson? We already have Ron Dayne, Chris Taylor, and now Dom Davis/Williams is coming back. And do you really think we need another runningback? And Adrian Peterson is injury prone. Behind our offensive line, he will last only few weeks and get a season ending injury. Unless he split carries with 4 different guys.
This was Ron Dayne's 7th year in the league. He had the best 4 game stretch of his career, but he would have done something the previous 6 years to prove he's a starting NFL back. He's not. Chris Taylor had a good game against a bad Browns team. If he's the starter going into the season, I won't be very confident in our running game. Do we know Domanick Williams is coming back for sure? He's just come off a season in which he practiced once in training camp. Even when he was on the field in 04 and 05 he always seemed to be hurt. Adrian Peterson is better than all 3 guys. The collar-bone injury this season just seemed to be a freak thing for me. He dived into the end zone and he got hurt. Had he hurt his leg again, then I would have been worried, but he didn't. If we get Peterson, I'll be jumping for joy. Taylor, Dayne, and Williams aren't the answer. Neither is Lundy or Gado. I don't want to have to go through another musical chairs of running backs next season.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
Here's an interesting draft board:

Oakland-Russell (Peter King says this will be the pick)
Detroit- Quinn (No brainer)
Cleveland- Peterson (No brainer)

The conventional wisdom says Tampa needs Joe Thomas, he's a top notch talent in a need area. Arizona doesn't need Calvin Johnson, they've already got the best WR corps in football. His slide would end with the Redskins. Tampa could take CJ too, but they've gotta go line to get a running game.
the bucs would never pass on johnson.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #16
Skrobes66
Rookie

I hope people quit saying we dont have running back problems. DWilliams (Knee is bone to bone - that is not good), Dayne (is a bum), Taylor (Who?), and Gado (again - who?) are not an answer. If you want back ups, we have plenty. We need a back that will not just be serviceable. We need people who will go out and win games. If Adrian Peterson is there at 8, we have to jump on it. I hope we can some how draft one of the longhorns (Ross or Griffin) in the 2nd round. In fact trading Carr for a second rounder and drafting them both would be great. We will always be able to pick up a veteran some where.
Skrobes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #17
real

As much as I want a FS...Reggie Nelson more specifically....

I don't see how we can pass on Peterson if he falls to us....
Old 01-08-2007   #18
SLO Texan
Veteran

Great mock Kasta, all the picks make some degree of sense and all have 1st round potential.

I just don't see Kubiak being sooooo impressed w/ Peterson that he'll go against his tendancies and pick him. If he does fall to us I bet we find a partner to trade down with and pick up a 2nd or 3rd...I hope.

But I get why you did it BPA and all. And you shed a little light on what I should do w/ my Charger pick cuz I had NO clue!!!
Old 01-08-2007   #19
DenverBorn
Veteran

I think Peterson could be the next LT or LJ. If he falls to 8, we HAVE to take him. The OL at Oklahoma this year (and, frankly, last year) was horrible. Good news is that his collarbone injury kept him from getting totally beaten up by Stoops running him 35+ times per game. But I don't think there's a prayer that he's available at 8 -
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #20
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
the bucs would never pass on johnson.
So Johnson and Thomas go 4-5 in that scenario. Adams is still on the board for the Redskins. Minny probably takes a receiver. No idea who Houston takes. I don't see Tennessee passing on Jarrett for Rice. I see Chow and Fisher trusting their guy who makes a nice match for Young, and passing on a sophomore from a Steve Spurrier system. The Titans may favor a more consistent and physical guy than Jarrett (Bennett's problem too). Rice is consistent, is he physical?
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read