Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2007   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Alan Branch at 8?

if he fell this far, would you take him? he would free up pressure on mario and weaver and help out the rest of the defense with his pass rushing and run stopping skills...
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #2
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Alan Branch at 8?

No, I wouldn't. I don't believe he get's enough push at the POA, not enough penetration. Does not use his hands to the best of his abilities and benefits from having a solid supporting cast. IMO he's not even the best DT prospect in the draft. If we were to take a DT in the first rd. which I doubt we would, it would have to be Amobe Okoye. The guy is going to be 20 by the time the draft rolls around has shown steady improvement has great penetration and does not get moved much a the POA has good awareness and uses his hands effectively. He doesn't have much of a supporting cast so teams can focus more attention on him. Taking Branch would be a TJ move for us. Bottom line Branch is not a top ten in this draft and should not be in our considerations.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want him. Overhyped.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #4
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

nope
Old 01-07-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I've been saying no to branch for a few months now, glad to see most everyone finally coming around. I said the same thing about Hall at the same time, people are coming around on that too. I wonder what everyone should think when YTF starts making bold predictions?
Old 01-07-2007   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Well, I've been saying no to branch for a few months now, glad to see most everyone finally coming around. I said the same thing about Hall at the same time, people are coming around on that too. I wonder what everyone should think when YTF starts making bold predictions?
You weren't really down on Hall that much, just said he was solid at a few things rather than great at one thing. If he fell to us in the second, I wouldn't mind it. Then again, I do have Fagginsitis.
Old 01-07-2007   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
You weren't really down on Hall that much, just said he was solid at a few things rather than great at one thing. If he fell to us in the second, I wouldn't mind it. Then again, I do have Fagginsitis.
I called that he would fall a while ago.

Is Fagginsitis where you are boardering on man-crush or is it where you feel like vomiting when he is allowed on the field?
Old 01-07-2007   #8
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Actually I'm surprised anybody still really considered him elite after the game against Ohio state. Branch for that matter as well. Really, big games are the best indicator's as too how guy's will translate because they are going against better competition. Hall did well against subpar competition, but against better talent he was.... burnt. Hall hasn't done anything to separate himself from the rest of the CB's coming out. To me that clearly say's he won't go as early, he might not even be the first CB taken.
Old 01-07-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I called that he would fall a while ago.

Is Fagginsitis where you are boardering on man-crush or is it where you feel like vomiting when he is allowed on the field?
Puking.
Old 01-07-2007   #10
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I don't think he'll fall that far. While he's not elite the guy can be solid and has room for improvement. The premium alone on CB should keep him in the first rd.
Old 01-07-2007   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Trojan center Ryan Kalil owned him in the RB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Finally, someone else that's spelled his name right.
Old 01-07-2007   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

No, not another 1st round Dline.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
thats total bs. Branch was double & tripple teamed all day long. occassionally he was in man to man but the play was away & mis directed away from Alan. USC did an excellent job in game planning against Branch, the Tackles where able to hold the edge which allowed more support to the middle, plus Booty had a career day & moved much better than I've seen from him all season.

Kahlil excecuted, played well and deserves credit where credit is due but don't dismiss he had lots of help because that is not accurate at all

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed Beerlover. I vote yep. Most solid , bust free chioce they could make.
Meco needs the beasties in front of him.
Old 01-07-2007   #16
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post
if he fell this far, would you take him? he would free up pressure on mario and weaver and help out the rest of the defense with his pass rushing and run stopping skills...
Absolutely not. I've seen 5 games of his and have seen very little pass rush ability out of him. I don't doubt he has talent but I see very little motor, effort, and production out of him, reminds me of how Travis Johnson has played the last two years. I would not consider taking him, I'd much rather have Amobi Okoye if we decide to take a DT. That said, Weaver needs to play DT, he can't provide a pass rush off the edge at DE but can push the pocket from the inside. We need to draft a DE over a DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec View Post
Actually I'm surprised anybody still really considered him elite after the game against Ohio state. Branch for that matter as well. Really, big games are the best indicator's as too how guy's will translate because they are going against better competition. Hall did well against subpar competition, but against better talent he was.... burnt. Hall hasn't done anything to separate himself from the rest of the CB's coming out. To me that clearly say's he won't go as early, he might not even be the first CB taken.
Branch would be really solid in a 3-4 where your main job is to occupy space and blockers and free up your LBs for blitzing. I don't like him in a 4-3 as much.
Old 01-07-2007   #17
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

branch is still my guy at #8 if he lasts, mainly because that makes teams think twice about double teaming mario. but i have read washington is in need of line and help and could grab branch at #6. if not branch, then hopefully trade down and grab lynch a few picks later.
Old 01-07-2007   #18
doughboy
Veteran

Amoby Okoye Is Imo the best DT in the draft. The guy is 6'2 300+ pounds and can Rep 225 pds 50+ times. And he is a great run stuffer.
Old 01-07-2007   #19
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Amoby Okoye Is Imo the best DT in the draft. The guy is 6'2 300+ pounds and can Rep 225 pds 50+ times. And he is a great run stuffer.
I highly doubt he can put up 50 reps on the bench press, but he is my favorite DT in this draft. Brodrick Bunkley put up an impressive 44 reps last year (45 is the alltime Combine record) and I saw him in person at the Eagles game this season and he's absolutely huge.
Old 01-07-2007   #20
doughboy
Veteran

according to this Amobi can http://www.nfldraftdirt.com/2007/nfl...rt-ii/#more-41

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read