Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2007   #1
aggieNzona
Rookie

Default If I was GM!

I would sign UFA's
QB Damon Huard KC, to push Carr if Carr traded he can start
RB Ahmon Green -GB or Marcel Ship - AZ
LB London Fletcher - Bills
I also woulds sign 1 vet at OL, DL and DB not a big name just a veteran.
Draft trade down for two first round picks.
1a - Ted Guinn Jr
1b - A DB maybe one of the Texas boys
Later rounds focus on Defense wouldn't mind 1 mid tolate rounder on a QB project.
aggieNzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If I was GM!

You just opened Pandora's box....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

we are not going to be able to trade down for two first rounders and Ted Ginn is not the reciever he's cracked out to be, he has the same numbers as the #2 option on that team................I would rather have Bowe out of LSU who would come a hellava lot cheaper and a hellava lot lower, the guy is going to be a steal.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #4
baba ganoush
Veteran

well if i was GM, i would do this...

in FA...

sign OG Eric Steinbach - Bengals
the best DB that we can get
and solid players that can fight for starting positions at DL, LB

in the draft...
Alan Branch or LaRon Landry with the 8th
Rufus Alexander or Kevin Kolb with the 40th
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #5
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush View Post

in FA...

in the draft...
Kolb at 40th is a tad bit too high IMO. 3rd round would be as high as I would go with him. Other issues to be addressed before drafting a project at #2.
Old 01-07-2007   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieNzona View Post

I would sign UFA's
We already have a pretty good MLB. We need help at SLB. Now go find us one...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:

I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr
Later rounds focus on Defense wouldn't mind 1 mid tolate rounder on a QB project.
That's possibly the worst plan I've heard so far.
Old 01-07-2007   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic View Post
That's possibly the worst plan I've heard so far.
I was thinking the exact same thing... I was just looking to see if I was the only one who is really glad that aggieNzona isn't GM.

I don't think I agree with a single move there.
Old 01-07-2007   #9
skillz24
Rookie

Quote:

I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr
And then we would end up being 0-16 the year you were hired.
skillz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #10
skillz24
Rookie

Quote:

in FA...

in the draft...
we don't have the 40th in round two...
Old 01-07-2007   #11
skillz24
Rookie

there several things wrong with this thread...first trading down in the first round, i am all in favor for this, but to make it happen we are gonna have to trade with NE who is the only team with two first round picks. To even begin to get them interested in looking at this offer we would have to offer our 5th and 6th rounders along with it to make the equation come out in their favor. Usually their trade values means they want an extra 200 points in value for them to negotiate. Which would require our more picks...not wasted talent and cap burden. second fletcher is too old and is slowing. third steinbach won't sign here in houston unless we unload big money on him i.e. 10.5 mill+...and with our cap issues at the moment i don't see us cripling the franchise for a lineman when we could find a suitable substitute in the draft.

in terms of this thread you are the weakest link...goodbye
Old 01-07-2007   #12
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz24 View Post
there several things wrong with this thread...first trading down in the first round, i am all in favor for this, but to make it happen we are gonna have to trade with NE who is the only team with two first round picks. To even begin to get them interested in looking at this offer we would have to offer our 5th and 6th rounders along with it to make the equation come out in their favor. Usually their trade values means they want an extra 200 points in value for them to negotiate. Which would require our more picks...not wasted talent and cap burden. second fletcher is too old and is slowing. third steinbach won't sign here in houston unless we unload big money on him i.e. 10.5 mill+...and with our cap issues at the moment i don't see us cripling the franchise for a lineman when we could find a suitable substitute in the draft.

in terms of this thread you are the weakest link...goodbye
you know steinbach?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #13
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:

I would sign UFA's
Not on your life! We've been down this road for the last five years. Huard shouldn't be given the job. He would need to have to earn it by an open competition. Not saying anything about Huard either way (really don't know that much about him) Just saying we don't want to get into another situation where we crown anybody QB.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #14
skillz24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
you know steinbach?
no i don't know him, but i have seen other message boards and discussions by analysts. steinbach will eithier A. resign with Cinci or B. sign with a team who has had great success and offers a competitive salary.

1. right now we have not had a .500 season yet
2. with our divison our best chances are the wild card which means 10 wins or better.
3. next years schedule is gonna be even tougher than this years as we are playing the AFC West and the NFC South along with Cleveland and Miami. Meaning we are gonna need to find some serious studs in the draft to get our defense to where it needs to be to get 10 wins or more.
4. by my count we are a solid FS, two DBs, two LBs...one as a stud starter, a DT, and a WR away from ten win contention.
5. forgot trading Dominick Williams or whatever he calls himself now away and signing Micheal Turner too.
Old 01-07-2007   #15
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post
Kolb at 40th is a tad bit too high IMO. 3rd round would be as high as I would go with him. Other issues to be addressed before drafting a project at #2.
I respect your opinion... Don't be surprised if Kolb goes in 2nd round depending on his showing in SEnior Bowl and at the combine. Personally, I like John Beck (BYU) or Jeff Bowe (Nevada) in later rounds. DB,OL, and LB are positions Texans need to upgrade. Hopefully, Texans make a big splash in FA...see Nate Clements.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8 View Post
I respect your opinion... Don't be surprised if Kolb goes in 2nd round depending on his showing in SEnior Bowl and at the combine. Personally, I like John Beck (BYU) or Jeff Bowe (Nevada) in later rounds. DB,OL, and LB are positions Texans need to upgrade. Hopefully, Texans make a big splash in FA...see Nate Clements.
This is kind of my feeling on it as well. I think we'll see Kolb shoot up the draft boards a bit after the combine.
Old 01-08-2007   #17
wolfscar
Veteran

Quote:

I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr
Bit in bold is the only part I agree with even slightly. Huard, Green, Shipp and Fletcher would be horrible choices.

Quote:

in FA...

in the draft...
Much closer to my thoughts. Although this is what I'd do:

FA...

Sign Asante Samuel or Nate Clements at CB
Sign either Lance Briggs or Cato June at WLB
Sign Kris Dielman at OG and maybe Leonard Davis at OT if he's available and his price tag's not too high (particularly if we can bring in Alex Gibbs - Davis has bags of talent and if anyone's going to bring it out...)
Sign Cory Redding at DT to shore up the D-Line. Not a huge name, but a solid player who's going to be far more productive when he's not in Detroit any more, and he shouldn't be too expensive.
Maybe sign Justin Griffiths at FB - he's a great all-rounder and he's only 25
If we want a WR#3, Kevin Curtis on a one year deal, before he loses his speed

Draft...

Round 1 - LaRon Landry, FS
Round 2 - Rufus Alexander, OLB
Round 3 onwards - best player available. Need to fill holes at OL, OL, OL, P, maybe QB if there's a steal available down the rounds somewhere.

Trades...

Clear out the offensive line. Dump half of it, keep Winston, Pitts, Weary, Spencer and maybe a few others if they look like they may be able to actually contribute in future.
Trade Travis Johnson for either a pick or someone who can actually play the DT position.
Trade Domanick Davis/Williams. I think with Dayne as our 3rd down thumper, we've got three guys with the potential to step up and be our feature back next year, provided we can get the line and its ZBS working as it should.
Old 01-08-2007   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:

I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr

If I was the owner...you would be fired!!
Old 01-08-2007   #19
skillz24
Rookie

Exclamation Re: If I was GM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfscar View Post
Bit in bold is the only part I agree with even slightly. Huard, Green, Shipp and Fletcher would be horrible choices.

Much closer to my thoughts. Although this is what I'd do:

FA...

Sign Asante Samuel or Nate Clements at CB
Sign either Lance Briggs or Cato June at WLB
Sign Kris Dielman at OG and maybe Leonard Davis at OT if he's available and his price tag's not too high (particularly if we can bring in Alex Gibbs - Davis has bags of talent and if anyone's going to bring it out...)
Sign Cory Redding at DT to shore up the D-Line. Not a huge name, but a solid player who's going to be far more productive when he's not in Detroit any more, and he shouldn't be too expensive.
Maybe sign Justin Griffiths at FB - he's a great all-rounder and he's only 25
If we want a WR#3, Kevin Curtis on a one year deal, before he loses his speed

Draft...

Round 1 - LaRon Landry, FS
Round 2 - Rufus Alexander, OLB
Round 3 onwards - best player available. Need to fill holes at OL, OL, OL, P, maybe QB if there's a steal available down the rounds somewhere.

Trades...

Clear out the offensive line. Dump half of it, keep Winston, Pitts, Weary, Spencer and maybe a few others if they look like they may be able to actually contribute in future.
Trade Travis Johnson for either a pick or someone who can actually play the DT position.
Trade Domanick Davis/Williams. I think with Dayne as our 3rd down thumper, we've got three guys with the potential to step up and be our feature back next year, provided we can get the line and its ZBS working as it should.
as soon as you wake up from fantasy land and realize money is an issue here, you would change your idea. After the cap hits and base salaries you would have us 30 million over the salary cap, and that doesn't even take into account signing bonuses and performance bonuses that go along throughout the season.
Old 01-08-2007   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is nothing but pure comedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read