Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post "Texans are taking a gamble every which way."

Somone a week or so ago said the draft is always a crap shoot, and I think this year those two words ring true.

The top prospects each have glaring problems or are just not playing up to par in their last college games (Quinn, Landry). But Mr. JaMarcus Russell looks pretty impressive and at 6'5" 250 he can plow over defenders. He is not run happy but when he does run, look out. When there was no one open he threw it away, unlike Quinn, in the bowl game.

Look if he declares for the draft and is still available with our 8th pick, I don't see how we could pass him up, unless its like the VY "policy" if ya know what I mean, if not......its on another thread (LONG STORY).

Peterson will always have the injury stigma.

Lynch to me looks like the second coming of Cedric Benson (you know the guy who carries Thomas Jones suitcases)

Joe Thomas (Wisconsin) is the one outstanding lineman and that is good, even though I'm all for it I still don't know, you know what I mean?!

I say just spin Mattress Mac around blindfold in front of the draftboard and let him pin a tail on a someone's name and we'll get the same results, well kinda, unless it requires of trading Carr for Vick.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans are taking a gamble every which way."

Neither of those guys should be there when we pick.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If they didn't draft VY there is no way in hell they will draft Russell. We need to hope Gaines Adams, Leon Hall, or Branch are available when we pick. If we get any of those 3 guys I would consider the 1st Round a success. Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson are going to be long gone and they are the elite prospects imho. AP would be be included with them but he has the injury stigma and the high mileage on his tires courtesy of Stoops. If AP is available at #8 I think we should look hard at him. The fact that he was willing to do so much to help his team says measures for his character, heart, and competitive fire....even if it was to the detriment of his physical condition.

oh and Lynch is garbage imho. Just another Tedford-style product West Coast stat factory ala JJ Arrington.

If Sam Baker OT grades well in the combines I wouldnt be against us using the #8 on him as well.

I was on the Draft Landry bandwagon earlier cause it was such an area of need but from what I saw in the Sugar Bowl, I didn't see all that much to show he merits that early of a pick. He was always around the ball so he can read the QB but I didn't see the physical tools taht would validate such an early pick.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 01-06-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #4
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ayight
Old 01-06-2007   #5
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

WHATEVER "MEXICAN"!!!:
Old 01-06-2007   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
WHATEVER "MEXICAN"!!!:
http://forums.houstontexans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Ask the people that know.

Wait...didn't see Lynch, thought you were still talking about AP. I don't really want him at 8.
Old 01-06-2007   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Somone a week or so ago said the draft is always a crap shoot, and I think this year those two words ring true.

The top prospects each have glaring problems or are just not playing up to par in their last college games (Quinn, Landry). But Mr. JaMarcus Russell looks pretty impressive and at 6'5" 250 he can plow over defenders. He is not run happy but when he does run, look out. When there was no one open he threw it away, unlike Quinn, in the bowl game.

Look if he declares for the draft and is still available with our 8th pick, I don't see how we could pass him up, unless its like the VY "policy" if ya know what I mean, if not......its on another thread (LONG STORY).

Lynch to me looks like the second coming of Cedric Benson (you know the guy who carries Thomas Jones suitcases)

Joe Thomas (Wisconsin) is the one outstanding lineman and that is good, even though I'm all for it I still don't know, you know what I mean?!

I say just spin Mattress Mac around blindfold in front of the draftboard and let him pin a tail on a someone's name and we'll get the same results, well kinda, unless it requires of trading Carr for Vick.
A) JaMarcus Russell will not be there at 8 so the point is moot

B) Peterson's injuries have not been chronic and should not be recurring. Anyone can get a high ankle sprain and the broken collar bone was a freak injury. He does not have any structural damage and should be fine.

C) Lynch is a totally different player than Benson. Benson is closer to Peterson than he is to Lynch. With his versatility, you could compare him to a poor man's Tomlinson.

D) Joe Thomas has no chance of being available when the Texans pick.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2007   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are we still going with McNair is a racist? I forget, what color is Mario and how much money was he given? What color is Rick Smith?

I wouldn't trade the young core of our Defense for any QB. The future for our D is bright b/c of Mario, otherwise we are starting Peek and Babin or Babin and Kalu. We have a strong, young, defensive core that should be dominant with a good free agency and another strong draft. If Landry and Russell are there at 8 I would take Landry. Of course I am a defensive guy.

If you wanna win, and win in the AFC South, you better have a defense.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #9
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
A) JaMarcus Russell will not be there at 8 so the point is moot

B) Peterson's injuries have not been chronic and should not be recurring. Anyone can get a high ankle sprain and the broken collar bone was a freak injury. He does not have any structural damage and should be fine.

C) Lynch is a totally different player than Benson. Benson is closer to Peterson than he is to Lynch. With his versatility, you could compare him to a poor man's Tomlinson.

D) Joe Thomas has no chance of being available when the Texans pick.
"Poor man's Tomlinson" wow thats hilarious.
Old 01-06-2007   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Are we still going with McNair is a racist? I forget, what color is Mario and how much money was he given? What color is Rick Smith?
Everyone knows that the only racist owner in town is Drayton McKKKlane. McNair is only guilty of being stubborn for not admitting failure and moving on last offseason.
Old 01-06-2007   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yeah, I thought it was too. Lynch is JJ Arrington: Part Deux.
Old 01-06-2007   #12
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Tomlinson is a one of a kind player, there isn't anyone like him and won't be for a long time. It is in no way a criticism of Lynch. It is not like I said a poor man's Kevan Barlow.

Hence a "Poor Man's Tomlinson"
Old 01-06-2007   #13
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Tomlinson is a one of a kind player, there isn't anyone like him and won't be for a long time. It is in no way a criticism of Lynch. It is not like I said a poor man's Kevan Barlow.

Hence a "Poor Man's Tomlinson"
YEA AND TO THINK HE CAME FROM TEXAS!!!!!!!!! Thats even more funny, considering all the "yankee talk" on yahoo.
Old 01-06-2007   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
yeah, I thought it was too. Lynch is JJ Arrington: Part Deux.
You can't say that a player will be bad because of where they come from. So JJ Arrington was bad, does that mean every Cal RB will be bad from here on out? Does that mean that Vince Young will be bad because Chris Simms is bad? Or Jay Cutler because he went to Vanderbilt?

Would it have made a difference if he chose to go to UCLA, USC, ASU, or Oregon? The other schools that he passed up to go to Cal. He was the #2 prospect coming out of high school that year behind Peterson.

If you are going to criticize someone, make sure you have sound logic behind your argument, not arbitrary facts that are irrelevant to performance.
Old 01-06-2007   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
You can't say that a player will be bad because of where they come from. So JJ Arrington was bad, does that mean every Cal RB will be bad from here on out? Does that mean that Vince Young will be bad because Chris Simms is bad? Or Jay Cutler because he went to Vanderbilt?

Would it have made a difference if he chose to go to UCLA, USC, ASU, or Oregon? The other schools that he passed up to go to Cal. He was the #2 prospect coming out of high school that year behind Peterson.

If you are going to criticize someone, make sure you have sound logic behind your argument, not arbitrary facts that are irrelevant to performance.
In college, that could mean a RB system.
Old 01-06-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
In college, that could mean a RB system.
True, which is why you have to kick the tires so to speak. There is a big difference between saying "this guy sucks because he went to x school and y player sucked" and saying "this guy sucks because he doesn't have talent".
Old 01-06-2007   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Tulexan here. Marshawn Lynch has the best chance of being around at 8 out of all these guys that are being mentioned.

Since it looks like Ron Dayne's here to stay, I think that Lynch would be the best compliment to him in our running game. Lynch could catch these 3-4 yard passes and make some guys miss and rack up some YAC.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #18
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, which is why you have to kick the tires so to speak. There is a big difference between saying "this guy sucks because he went to x school and y player sucked" and saying "this guy sucks because he doesn't have talent".
BJ Symons put up good numbers but was considered a product of the system.

Its fair to say the Aggie running backs of the 90's were good in college b/c of the system they ran.

Ware was a product of UH's system.

Old 01-06-2007   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
BJ Symons put up good numbers but was considered a product of the system.

Its fair to say the Aggie running backs of the 90's were good in college b/c of the system they ran.

Ware was a product of UH's system.

How is that different from what I just said?

I said that you can take that into consideration, but you can't just make a blanket statement that someone is bad just because they played at a particular school.

Second Honeymoon said that Lynch is Arrington part deux, which implies that he will struggle in the league because Arrington is currently struggling and like Lynch was a Cal Bear. Now one thing is that you could make an argument that for all we know, Arrington could be better than he looks because of Edgerrin James' struggle in Arizona as well, the other thing you could (and should) bring that into the big picture about the prospect when evaluating him. But you don't avoid a big time prospect like him just because he went to Cal.
Old 01-06-2007   #20
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
How is that different from what I just said?

I said that you can take that into consideration, but you can't just make a blanket statement that someone is bad just because they played at a particular school.

Second Honeymoon said that Lynch is Arrington part deux, which implies that he will struggle in the league because Arrington is currently struggling and like Lynch was a Cal Bear. Now one thing is that you could make an argument that for all we know, Arrington could be better than he looks because of Edgerrin James' struggle in Arizona as well, the other thing you could (and should) bring that into the big picture about the prospect when evaluating him. But you don't avoid a big time prospect like him just because he went to Cal.
I was adding to your comment. Backing you up a little.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read