Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2007   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default C.C.Brown vs. Glenn Earl at SS

A friend at work & I, were talking about the draft & free agency this year, as it relates to the Texans. We're both on opposite sides of the QB issue, so we avoided talking about that again. Neither one of us wanted to argue with a brick wall anymore.

Anyway, we focused on the defensive side of the ball & more specifically, the secondary. We both agreed that we need a FS & CB. However, he stated that he believes Brown would make a better SS than Earl. While I have no strong opinions either way, I must admit a little disappointment in Earl's performance this year. Statistically, they were about the same, but Earl seemed to be rather quite on the field, while Brown seemed to always be around the ball. I believe Brown has better speed, but Earl has a little more size.

So, I ask your opinion on the subject. Do you feel Brown would be the better SS, or would Earl be? Assuming, of course, we take a FS in the draft.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #2
t_flare
Veteran

Default Re: C.C.Brown vs. Glenn Earl at SS

I like Earl...C.C just bites on play action way too much and Earl is a better tackler
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_flare View Post
I like Earl...C.C just bites on play action way too much and Earl is a better tackler
Both of our safeties bite on play action.... that's why they are both better suited to SS.... they are both good tacklers... I think Glenn Earl has the edge here. If our front 7 were better against the run, then our corners, and safeties can play a little looser.

I'd be fine with playing CC at SS. but not over Earl. If we can make Earl a LB then I'd go with CC at SS.

Surely Glen Earl & Demeco at LB would make our LB corps small, and we'd quite possibly get run over by every team in the NFL. But Glenn Earl & Demeco are such good tacklers, I'd risk it.
Old 01-06-2007   #4
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

Neither make me say, "OOH. He's a supergood player". Right now Earl. But neither should be starting
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #5
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Earl... he will make big plays when talent is around him. Go put some notre dame 2003-2004 tape on. You'll be impressed. Big time players make big time plays in big games. Also Earl is a better tackler and is a smarter player. I have seen CC brown get beat deep a lot... I haven't seen earl, but I haven't seen Earl make a lot of big plays yet either.
Old 01-06-2007   #6
wolfscar
Veteran

I've always maintained that both these guys are natural Strong Safeties - and I think that both of them have their plus points. I'd like to see them used as 1 and 2 on the depth chart at SS. I like CC's speed and nose for the ball carrier but Earl sure can hit hard. He just can't cover for crap.

For either of them to play well though they need to be surrounded by two good corners and a quality FS. D-Rob is fine, although I think he's a better CB2 than CB1 - we need a shutdown like Samuel or Clements at CB1 and a Landry-type player at FS who just has a natural feel for his piece of turf and how to play it.

Wouldn't it be superb if we had all of that in place for next season? And with a couple of big-time OLBs around DeMeco to solidify the front 7. I'll be very interested to see if they do try to bulk Earl up a little and give him some reps at linebacker. He'd have to be better than what we have there just now.
Old 01-06-2007   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl, definitely. Much more of a playmaker than C.C., which isn't saying much as I only recall C.C. making one play, which was the INT versus the Browns.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2007   #8
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

C.C. for sure...you see him that last game? Thats more than Earl did.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #9
t_flare
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
C.C. for sure...you see him that last game? Thats more than Earl did.
???
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #10
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

He got an interception and picked up a fumble and did really good
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
He got an interception and picked up a fumble and did really good
What else has he done in the past 2 years?
Old 01-06-2007   #12
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

i already posted a thread exactly like this one, last season, and i believe that the fans will stick with Glenn Earl

personally i like C.C. Brown, but i know hes not better then Glenn Earl, i just dont want our starter 2 be a player that was injured because he got sucker punched.....
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickDavisFan76 View Post
i already posted a thread exactly like this one, last season, and i believe that the fans will stick with Glenn Earl

personally i like C.C. Brown, but i know hes not better then Glenn Earl, i just dont want our starter 2 be a player that was injured because he got sucker punched.....
Hamlin would be at least a nickel back.
Old 01-06-2007   #14
Let's try this again
Rookie

don't forget that cc is a military reserve. he could be asked to leave @ any time.
Old 01-06-2007   #15
Doug
All Pro

I like them both but I think Earl has the edge. Man that kid can lay the wood on people.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #16
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I give it to Earl as well becuase he seems to be the better fit at SS, but I definitely wouldn't mind competition to make sure we're starting the right guy!
Old 01-07-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

well one thing is for sure...we're loaded at SS. To draft another one with a first round pick makes no sense to me.

If I got a vote, I move C.C. to SS and dangle Earl as trade bait for draft picks. Just me...thought I saw CC make some decent plays down the strech. Niether one is a free Saftey. So we get one of the studly CBs via free agency...does Petie get a look at FS ? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-07-2007   #18
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Physically, I agree that both players are pretty much the same w/ Earl having the slight advantage in the tackling department. I think Earl is a more intelligent and instinctive player than CC.

Before this season, I would have been okay w/ either at SS. However, this season has caused me to absolutely despise CC. He makes too many mistakes and has had me yelling at the tv on numerous occasions. IMO, he's been so bad this year that he's brought back memories of...dare I say it....Matt Stevens.

The ONLY way that I would be okay w/ him at SS is if we sign a good FA CB, acquire a good FS, and develop Earl into a good LB.
Old 01-07-2007   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Personally I am not too fond of either of them. They both seem like nice backup SS's but low-end starters in the NFL. I did like the hit Earl had on Shockey though. That is definitely memorable. Both are liabilities in coverage (Earl more because of lack of speed and Brown moreso because of lack of field awareness).

We cannot have All Stars in every position, so I am content with the two of them competing for the SS spot. I really don't even care which one wins it in 2007.
Old 01-07-2007   #20
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Earl, definitely. Much more of a playmaker than C.C., which isn't saying much as I only recall C.C. making one play, which was the INT versus the Browns.
That is what I was thinking, CC single handedly kept the Colts in their last game verses the Texans. Not saying Earl is the best, but he is solid, and Brown is too much of a liability to me.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read