Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2007   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sherman early leader in Zona

POSTED 2:43 p.m. EST, January 6, 2007

SHERMAN THE EARLY LEADER IN 'ZONA

A league source tells us that Texans assistant and former Packers G.M./coach Mike Sherman is the early favorite to succeed Dennis Green as coach of the Cardinals. Sherman's biggest asset is his experience in the top jobs.

Running a close second, per the source, is Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Upcoming interviews for the Cardinals include Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, and Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

www.profootballtalk.com
Old 01-06-2007   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sherman early leader in Zona

I expect that Chow will be it in the end if he doesn't screw up the interview. That's supposidly his weakpoint. If not Chow, we will probably see Sherm head for the Valley of the Sun.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #3
old football fan
Veteran

Sherman will be gone to one of the openings this year.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Frank Bush been retained by the Cards? I know Kubiak was very interested in bringing him on board last year.
Old 01-06-2007   #5
t_flare
Veteran

I bet it will be Norm Chow from Tenn... he will coach Matt Leinart again
t_flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I bet the whole playoff thing is hurting Ron Rivera's candidacy for HC jobs....similar to how the Kubiak thing went down last year. He would be my choice if I was owner.

Denver going to the AFC Championship last year, really hampered the Texan's chances at some top tier assistant coaches...thank god for Sherman coming over

GL Sherman, the OL was spotty at times but I think much more cohesive and consistent this year...especially when Flan was healthy

when your coaches start getting hired by other teams, that is a good sign you MAY be on the right path
Old 01-06-2007   #7
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I bet the whole playoff thing is hurting Ron Rivera's candidacy for HC jobs.
That is who I think Arizona will wait for and get...
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed Revolution. Apperntly there is a link between the GM at Zona and Rivera. Shermans work with our shreded o-line should get him some sniffs for sure. Don't think it'll be Arizona though. Whoever the Zona guy is...prety sweet with the draft pick. Let the franchise OLT fall to you ..pick him. Maybe WE should apply. I can roll out the balls.
Old 01-09-2007   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

There are alot of cushy jobs up for grabs this season. Sherman is gonna get another shot at HC.

I think he would have alot of success in Pittsburgh personally.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #10
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Nod Grid -

I have a hunch that if Sherm doesnt get the Zona job - Him and 'Jerry" might be talking too. Honestly that would be really scary to see Sherman in Dallas now that I think about it.

Either way I dont see Sherman here next year - too many HC jobs open.

Arizona
Miami
Pittsburgh
Oakland
and looks like Dallas too.
Old 01-10-2007   #11
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

Sherman is getting a second interview.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2726984

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have trimmed their list of head coaching candidates and are bringing Mike Sherman back for a second interview on Thursday.

At least two others are expected to have second sessions, but their names were not revealed when the team announced Wednesday that Sherman would have a second interview.

The Cardinals are believed to be waiting to see what happens in Pittsburgh, where Steelers assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm are leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, and Grimm, assistant head coach-offensive line coach, are among the eight candidates who interviewed for the Arizona job, and either or both could be among the Arizona finalists.

The Cardinals met with three candidates out of town because their teams are still in the playoffs: Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach-quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

A second interview with any of those three would have to wait until their team is out of the playoffs.

Sherman, former Green Bay Packers head coach and currently assistant head coach of the Houston Texans, was in Tempe for an interview last week.

Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow was interviewed in Arizona on Monday, but there was no word that he was being brought in again.

The other who was interviewed is Clancy Pendergast, who was defensive coordinator under Dennis Green and remains under contract with Arizona. However, Pendergast's interview was believed to be as a courtesy.

Green was fired after three losing seasons with the Cardinals.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #12
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Do we get any compensation for letting Sherman leave or was he only under contract for one year?
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If they bring Chow back, likely him. No Chow, likely Sherman. Chow's weak point is supposed to be the interview and if he can get through it OK he would be a good one for them IMO due to his work with Lienert and he is just a good coach.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
If they bring Chow back, likely him. No Chow, likely Sherman. Chow's weak point is supposed to be the interview and if he can get through it OK he would be a good one for them IMO due to his work with Lienert and he is just a good coach.
I'd heard that Chow's weak point was the interview, too. But I thought I'd heard yesterday that Chow's interview apparently went very well.

I think it's going to be Chow in Zona.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #15
NATHANHALE
Veteran

I thought coaches with play off teams could not interview until the play offs were over--wasn't that a 'big' gripe on the board last year?
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #16
cadahnic
All Pro

The stipulation on coaches that are in the playoffs is that they cannot travel to be interviewed. I also do not think they can accept the HC job officially until thier team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Hate to lose Sherman, but to a degree it may give us a clearer identity on offense. We will strictly be using a hybrid Denver system instead of the mix of Denver and Sherman GB. He is a very good coach though and definately helped Kubes in this first year.
Old 01-11-2007   #17
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Sherman, but I really hope he gets the Cardinals job. I feel like he adds alot to the Texans, but maybe too much. I want to see what Kubiak can do on his own.
Old 01-11-2007   #18
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Profootballtalk.com just reported that Sherman got the Cardinals gig...
Old 01-11-2007   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the link:

Quote:
POSTED 12:39 p.m. EST, January 11, 2007

SHERMAN GETS THE CARDINALS JOB

Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach.

More to come.
Old 01-11-2007   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Although I think that Sherman was a good influence in the locker room and for Kubiak, I think the conflicting offensive strategies were hurting the team, so in a way I am glad that he is leaving. Now we can focus solely on zone blocking and not a hybrid of zone and man blocking.

Please Alex Gibbs, just give us one season of your time.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read