Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2007   #1
chrisc
waterboy

Default somebody tell what makes the Texans any differant?

Can anybody tell me why houston has the Texans but wouldnt build a stadium for the Oilers? Why didnt they want to build one for them? Who can give me assurence that the Texans wont do the same thing The oilers did and leave?
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229
Default Re: somebody tell what makes the Texans any differant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
Can anybody tell me why houston has the Texans but wouldnt build a stadium for the Oilers? Why didnt they want to build one for them? Who can give me assurence that the Texans wont do the same thing The oilers did and leave?
Reason #1: Bud Adams isn't the owner.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

You're worrying about the Texans leaving? Worry about that 30 years from now when Reliant Stadium is more of a dump than a Grade A facility.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #4
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 668 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
Do yourself a favor, read this book and then thank God this man does not own your football team.

http://www.amazon.com/Loser-Takes-Al...e=UTF8&s=books
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Short story... Bud Adams wanted a new stadium. We talked him into accepting remodeling of the Astrodome.... he agreed, but demanded some pretty expensive upgrades.

The city of Houston agreed & performed the renovations..... taxing the citizens to pay for it. Bud Adams didn't pay one dime of his money to help his team.

After the renovations were finished, Bud decided he still wanted another stadium. The City said there was no way they could pay for another stadium, especially since they are still(to this day) paying off the renovations of the AstroDome.

Bud left.

Houston had no football.

NFL decided to expand.... a stipulation for Houston, was that we had to have a new state of the art stadium worthy of Hosting the SuperBowl.....

Bob McNair decided to get a few investors together, and foot the bill himself.
Old 01-06-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Short story... .....

Clarify please ? Mr. McNair, as I understand...put up the initiation fee of 750 Million....Harris county tax payers via the Houston Sports Association....ponied up for Reliant. And to this date...we don't know what the constuction cost were. They were reproted at 500 Million. But I never saw them release a final audit did you ? You're statement infers that Mr. McNair laid out 1.25 billion. I don't think that's true.

We still owe, last time I saw, 63 million for the dome. They pay the intrest on that bond, but not the principle. Which means they'll owe 63 Million untill Christ comes back. The main reason it (the Astro Dome) hasn't been raised yet...they owe 63 million on the only asset of that bond.
Old 01-06-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Clarify please ? Mr. McNair, as I understand...put up the initiation fee of 750 Million....Harris county tax payers via the Houston Sports Association....ponied up for Reliant. And to this date...we don't know what the constuction cost were. They were reproted at 500 Million. But I never saw them release a final audit did you ? You're statement infers that Mr. McNair laid out 1.25 billion. I don't think that's true.

We still owe, last time I saw, 63 million for the dome. They pay the intrest on that bond, but not the principle. Which means they'll owe 63 Million untill Christ comes back. The main reason it (the Astro Dome) hasn't been raised yet...they owe 63 million on the only asset of that bond.
you are probably more right than I am...... but it was my understanding that McNair & his investors footed the whole bill.

Your explanation sounds more right to me.....

I don't live in Houston, so I wouldn't be more up on it than you, as it doesn't affect me as much.
Old 01-06-2007   #8
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 69 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

Bud Adams is at the bottom of the evolution ladder
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #9
ojthecat
Veteran

Bud and Mayor Bob got into a disagreement.

For the facts Bud was willing to finance a new stadium downtown without tax payer monies. I am not a fan of Bud but let's get the facts correct. Bud wanted more luxury suites because the NFL owners split the revenue for regular seats among all teams but get to keep the monies from luxury suites. Mayor Bob was upset over Bud wanting a new stadium after the recent upgrades and told Bud he could not build a new downtown stadium. The Oilers were still under a lease with the Astrodome and had to ask permission to negotiate out of the lease which mayor Bob allowed them to do. So when you look at the blame here it was not all Bud's fault I but most of the blame on mayor Bob.

Looking back I am glad the way things turned out we have a better owner but again I would not blame Bud for this.
Old 01-06-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Short story... Bud Adams wanted a new stadium. We talked him into accepting remodeling of the Astrodome.... he agreed, but demanded some pretty expensive upgrades.

The city of Houston agreed & performed the renovations..... taxing the citizens to pay for it. Bud Adams didn't pay one dime of his money to help his team.

After the renovations were finished, Bud decided he still wanted another stadium. The City said there was no way they could pay for another stadium, especially since they are still(to this day) paying off the renovations of the AstroDome.

Bud left.

Houston had no football.

NFL decided to expand.... a stipulation for Houston, was that we had to have a new state of the art stadium worthy of Hosting the SuperBowl.....

Actually, Bud threatened to move the team to Jacksonville if the city/county didn't finance the Astrodome upgrades. Part of those upgrades included tearing out the infamous scoreboard for 15,000 seats, plus 60+ luxury boxes.

Just a few years later, as other teams started getting new stadiums, Bud decided he would try to the same tactic as a few years before and threatened to move the team to Tennessee. The city, including the mayor and taxpayers, called his bluff. (This was after the 35-3 debacle, so fans were already pissed at the organization.)

Also, we must not lose sight of the fact that Bud wanted a stadium that he controlled 100%, while the taxpayers footed 100% of the construction costs. Another big factor: Bud wanted no part of working with the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, which is a big draw for Houston (which the Texans are partnered with in maintaining Reliant Stadium).

The 'dome is a dump, and another reason that I've heard why it hasn't been torn down is the extremely expensive costs in dealing with asbestos.
Old 01-06-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

hey... sorry for any mis-information I may have provided..... but I appreciate all the facts being replayed here.... with time, you know how things get misconstrued.....
Old 01-06-2007   #12
MarinerOne
Rookie

All I've got to say is Amen for Bob McNair and the Texans, we've got an NFL football team that's going to continue to improve from here on out!!! Look ahead.
MarinerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
hey... sorry for any mis-information I may have provided..... but I appreciate all the facts being replayed here.... with time, you know how things get misconstrued.....
It's not really mis-information on your part. I was just filling in the details. There are a lot of different perceptions about what went down between Bud and the city.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read