Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2007   #1
Rightnow
Veteran

Default Assuming Carr is done in Houston who is the upgrade?

I keep here echoes of "anyone but Carr!". Let's just say for a moment that Carr is finished in Houston, and we don't even get a seventh rounder for him. He is simply fired.

So whom do you put in his place? Whom is a true long term upgrade? If he isn't a long term upgrade, then what is the game plan for the long term?

I'd like some answers other than "get rid of Carr." That is only half of the issue the other half is trying to upgrade the position. Remember the job of a GM is to upgrade the position, not to just fire players.

Keep in mind too that if you put in an average vet like Sage or Jake then we could go 8-8, 9-7, 7-9, or so, stopping us from drafting a stud first round QB like VY or Lineirt

What I'm getting at is I want to read realistic solutions to our QB problem.
Old 01-05-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Assuming Carr is done in Houston who is the upgrade?

The solution is easy...

Play Sage until we draft a QB that Kubes can groom....
Old 01-05-2007   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
The solution is easy...

seems simple enough to me. van pelt knows the system and can maintain backup duties during that time.
Old 01-05-2007   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

ABC....Anyone But Carr.
Old 01-05-2007   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Do we need 8,543 different threads about Carr?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #6
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
looks like it
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #7
real

Quote:
of course not...

We need 8,544
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2007   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
ABC....Anyone But Carr.
I don't understand your line of thinking...

I'll say it again:

If your girlfriend cheats on you are you going to stay with her because you're scared you can't find anyone better ?

Or are you gonna jump into the ocean and go fishing ?

You don't stick with someone that isn't treating you right because you think that you can't do better....If you know what you have isn't good, you have to explore and fish around until you find what you're looking for....Otherwise you'll be stuck with that trash forever because you will never know whats out there...
Old 01-05-2007   #9
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
The solution is easy...

are you trying to get the first overall in 08... or do you actually think Sage can get it done. You know there is a reason he is a career backup. Not saying Carr is the awnser but Sage certainly is not.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan View Post
are you trying to get the first overall in 08... or do you actually think Sage can get it done. You know there is a reason he is a career backup. Not saying Carr is the awnser but Sage certainly is not.
Just like there was a reason Tom Brady was selected late in the draft ?

Just like there was a reason Marques Colston was darn near Mr. irrelevant ?

Just like there was a reason Tony Romo WAS a career backup ?

Give me a break....
Old 01-05-2007   #11
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i can somewhat buy that argument considering how he was behind gus ferrotte on the depth chart last yr at miami. however, u are what you show on the field, and sage has shown himself to be a very capable QB, especially if kubiak involved him in the gameplanning process late in the season. he played a significant amount of time in only one game. we saw quite a bit, but that was when tennessee's defense couldnt stop anybody. they got better as the season progressed, but still. i would like to see more from sage besides what he did vs a crappy defense at the time and in the preseason. a great majority of this team is "extremely young". i think we need to draft a QB with our second pick and do what the colts did with manning, throw him out there right away and let him grow with the rest of the team.

Last edited by TexanFanInCC; 01-05-2007 at 03:31 PM.
TexanFanInCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan View Post
When Sage comes in, passes get completed for 20+ yards. The ball moves down the field.

That in itself is reason to start him.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Seriously. This is maybe the tenth new thread started in the last three days about replacing Carr, let alone the usual criticism, "analysis," and all-purpose Carr threads.
Old 01-05-2007   #14
real

I never saw Sage play until he arrived in Houston, so I can't really comment about his past...

But the few plays that I have seen, Sage looks like a darn good QB....JMO....
Old 01-05-2007   #15
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i made edits to my last post so b4 yall hammer me, read the edits
Old 01-05-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
When Sage comes in, passes get completed for 20+ yards. The ball moves down the field.

That in itself is reason to start him.
That's assuming that the Texans are so far behind that the other team (titans) go into their prevent defense? Let's face it, your example comes from a game that wasn't as close as the 28-22 final would suggest. I will say this again. Sage had the opportunity to win the starting QB position in Miami and couldn't do it. Some people are starting pitchers and some are releif pitchers. Sage would be the equivalent of the upper eschelon of releif pitchers (i.e. Trevor Hoffman).
Old 01-05-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If you have to ask.........

Quote:
I don't understand your line of thinking...

I'll say it again:

If your girlfriend cheats on you are you going to stay with her because you're scared you can't find anyone better ?

Or are you gonna jump into the ocean and go fishing ?

You don't stick with someone that isn't treating you right because you think that you can't do better....If you know what you have isn't good, you have to explore and fish around until you find what you're looking for....Otherwise you'll be stuck with that trash forever because you will never know whats out there...
uh..... you aren't having relations with our aquatic friends are you??
Old 01-05-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
uh..... you aren't having relations with our aquatic friends are you??
Not any more...

Old 01-05-2007   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That's assuming that the Texans are so far behind that the other team (titans) go into their prevent defense? Let's face it, your example comes from a game that wasn't as close as the 28-22 final would suggest. I will say this again. Sage had the opportunity to win the starting QB position in Miami and couldn't do it. Some people are starting pitchers and some are releif pitchers. Sage would be the equivalent of the upper eschelon of releif pitchers (i.e. Trevor Hoffman).
Sage played more than just the Titans game. JAX has a better defense than the Titans and he moved the ball on them too.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
& that makes David a what?? Ball boy??

Just listening to the way Kubiak talks about Sage, I'd be fine with seeiing him Start.... as a matter of fact, if I Kubiak came out today, and said he would start Sage in '07 I bet most fans would be thrilled and excited about it. & Until Miami produces a starting QB, I'm going to believe they didn't know what the heck they had all along.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read