Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2007   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default History repeats itself

In the 1984 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets selected Akeem Olajuwon with the #1 pick. They left Michael Jordan to be selected by the Chicago Bulls with the #3 pick.

In the 2006 NFL Draft the Houston Texans selected Mario Williams with the #1 pick. They left Vince Young to be selected by the Tennessee Titans with the #3 pick.

I just thought it was crazy how history repeats itself.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: History repeats itself

It's way too early to say Vince is Michael Jordan. And hasn't this been said about, oh, 10000000000000000000000000 times already? If Williams turns into the NFL version of Hakeem, I'm sure we won't be disappointed. What's done is done. I say the Texans and fans should stop whining over what happened and instead focus on what they might do in the future.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince had the same type of hype as Michael coming out of college. That's what I really meant. Not sayin Vince is Michael. But people were upset about the Olajuwon selection.

I never read it around here and just thought about it.

I am definantely not whining... I loved Olajuwon...I am watching the Hardwood Classics DVD right now...used to be my favorite player.

If you knew me as a poster...you would know I have no problem with Mario.

This isn't a what could have been post...it is a isn't it funny post.
Old 01-04-2007   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

hakeem can be argued as well as jordan can for the best player in nba history (along with kareem, bill russel, and a short list of others). if we infact did repeat the 84 rockets' draft by taking the dominant big man instead of the offensive superstar, i for one would be ecstatic. of course it's too early to make that type of connection, but we can hope.
Old 01-04-2007   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
This isn't a what could have been post...it is a isn't it funny post.
It's not that funny to me, but I guess that's just because I still hear this VY RB garbage on here and everywhere else pretty much daily.
Old 01-04-2007   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Guys wow...chill out about the whole Vince Young, Reggie Bush thing.

It's not about comparing Vince Young and Mario Williams. I was making a comment about history. Are you guys incapable of thinking about the subject in a different way?

Or do we argue with every person who uses Vince Young and Mario Williams in the same conversation?
Old 01-04-2007   #7
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, Hakeem is Vince(the hometown kid). Bush is jordan with all the hype...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2007   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
If anything, Hakeem is Vince(the hometown kid). Bush is jordan with all the hype...
Hakeem wasn't so much hometown. I understand he played at UofH but he was not born there as Vince was.

I was more speaking about how Mario Williams is a big man that could turn into something that nobody has ever seen before...much like Olajuwon was. Olajuwon IMO was the best defensive player in basketball history. He could steal the ball from a guard and block anybodys shot.
Old 01-04-2007   #9
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Why do people still do this comparison? Basketball can be influenced greatly by 1 person, while football is the greatest examle of a team sport. Crazy comparison yes, but this is comparing apples to oranges.
Old 01-04-2007   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair View Post
I never heard one person upset about the Olajuwon selection, and I am old enough I was actually alive at the time. If Mario = Olajuwon or Jordan that is excellent. Just so we don't get Mario = Bowie. Houston never got heat for passing up Jordan because they got Olajuwon. Portland still gets abuse for taking Bowie over Jordan. If Mario = Bowie, then we will also get abused for over 20 years....
From what I was told by my older family members, Hakeem was not the popular selection even though he played at UofH. I thought that Akeem was booed when selected with the first pick. They told me that people were not very happy with the pick until he played his first season with the Rockets.
Old 01-04-2007   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Why do people still do this comparison? Basketball can be influenced greatly by 1 person, while football is the greatest examle of a team sport. Crazy comparison yes, but this is comparing apples to oranges.
Yes, you are right you cannot make the comparison the the cross of the t and the dot of the i. I was hoping some people could look at some of the similarities in the situation and share my interest.
Old 01-04-2007   #12
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, you are right you cannot make the comparison the the cross of the t and the dot of the i. I was hoping some people could look at some of the similarities in the situation and share my interest.
I see the point you're trying to make, but lets wait til their careers play out. get back at me in 10-15 years...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #13
WillyP
Rookie

Quote:
From what I was told by my older family members, Hakeem was not the popular selection even though he played at UofH. I thought that Akeem was booed when selected with the first pick. They told me that people were not very happy with the pick until he played his first season with the Rockets.
Your family members couldn't be more wrong. I grew up in Houston and was about thirteen when Lorenzo Charles broke my heart in the NCAA Championship Game. I'm more qualified to tell you about the Houston sports mood circa 1983-84 than your family members. Olajuwon was IMMENSELY POPULAR. He was the pick EVERYONE wanted, not Michael Jordan.

Pfft.
WillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Very original, I haven't been hearing this all year.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyP View Post
Your family members couldn't be more wrong. I grew up in Houston and was about thirteen when Lorenzo Charles broke my heart in the NCAA Championship Game. I'm more qualified to tell you about the Houston sports mood circa 1983-84 than your family members. Olajuwon was IMMENSELY POPULAR. He was the pick EVERYONE wanted, not Michael Jordan.
Ah...I did not know this...thanks for informing me.
Old 01-04-2007   #16
WillyP
Rookie

Since we're comparing Rockets draft picks to Texans draft picks, perhaps Mario Williams is the Robert Horry of the 2006 NFL draft. I remember the loud booing and vicious lampooning of the Rockets front office when we selected lesser-known Horry over the hyped Harold Miner, who surprisingly slid down the draft board to them.

Where's Harold Miner these days?
Old 01-04-2007   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Very original, I haven't been hearing this all year.
That is because all you see out of the post is Vince Young = Michael Jordan ... obviously incapable of seeing it at any more depth.
Old 01-04-2007   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Since we're comparing Rockets draft picks to Texans draft picks, perhaps Mario Williams is the Robert Horry of the 2006 NFL draft. I remember the loud booing and vicious lampooning of the Rockets front office when we selected lesser-known Horry over the hyped Harold Miner, who surprisingly slid down the draft board to them.

Where's Harold Miner these days?
I dont even know who that guy is. I went to games during the season before the first championship up until I moved from Houston 2 years ago and I remember Robert Horry being a raw player back in those days. I remember him making alot of mistakes but he would make up for it with his hustle. Although I was only...lets see...8 or 9.
Old 01-04-2007   #19
WillyP
Rookie

Quote:
I dont even know who that guy is. I went to games during the season before the first championship up until I moved from Houston 2 years ago and I remember Robert Horry being a raw player back in those days. I remember him making alot of mistakes but he would make up for it with his hustle. Although I was only...lets see...8 or 9.
You don't remember Baby Jordan? That was his nickname, and the only time he ever lived up to it was when he won the Slam Dunk contest at the All Star game. He was taken by Miami right after the Rockets selected Horry. In fact, I bet your family members are mistaking that pick for the Olajuwon selection. At the time it was more talked about and criticized than the Texans selection of MW last year.
Old 01-04-2007   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You don't remember Baby Jordan? That was his nickname, and the only time he ever lived up to it was when he won the Slam Dunk contest at the All Star game. He was taken by Miami right after the Rockets selected Horry. In fact, I bet your family members are mistaking that pick for the Olajuwon selection. At the time it was more talked about and criticized than the Texans selection of MW last year.
Possibly...my dad was the one who told me about it...and that was years ago before he moved away.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read