Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-04-2007   #1
light
Rookie

Default Patrick Willis

do you guys think he is going to be good or great?
light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Patrick Willis

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ

He is going to be great.

Everybody should watch this video...it really is probably the best form tackle I have ever seen...especially on a 3rd and 1 play in the redzone.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 01-04-2007 at 06:07 PM.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will be Great. For what most know He's 6'2 232 lbs. runs a 4.6 40. Led the nation in '05 in solo tackles. 2nd in solo in '06. Won the 2006 Dick Buckus Award and the Chucky Mullins Courage award at Ole Miss. He also leads the SEC in total tackles. He is a team captain and a true leader for the team. He was an OLB but got moved to MLB this season. He has the talent to play both.. probably the best tackler in the country.

When Coach Ed Orgeron came over to Ole Miss from being Defensive Coordinator at Souther Cal, he found Patrick Willis sitting on the bench. 'Coach O' stated that if he was at USC, Patrick would be starting...usc later went on to lose to UT in the Nat'l Championship (guess they did need 'P-Willie' to stop Vince. He finally found his way into the starting rotation in 2005 (when he led nation in solo tackles). He opted to stay his senior year to finish school, earn his degree, and enjoy being a college student athlete. He played the entire 2005 season with different injuries. He plays every down hard and never quits..never goes easy any play. as you can see in my picture he played with a club on his hand for the majority of the year, had a broken finger.

Besides 'stats' which i'm sure there is more people can find, I fill you in more on his personal life, he has great character, a stand up guy, and is involved in a lot of community service. His mother left him and his 3 siblings when they were younger and left them alone with their abusive father. In the summer of 2005, his younger brother drowned to death while swimming in a pool because his muscles cramped up and his friends couldn't pull him out (218 lbs). He has overcome many hard things in his life and has a good attitude about it..that it makes him stronger and that he's a better person because of it. He grew up having to take care of his younger brothers and sister.

Below are some links to articles and quotes from them if anyone is interested...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...DB_OEM_ID=2600

-"I think a Bible verse says, 'In order for God to forgive you have to forgive others,'" Patrick said. "With that in my heart, I knew I still had to forgive him." - on his father.

- In 2005, Willis led the nation in solo tackles. This season he is second. When his highlights were shown Monday at the Nagurski dinner, his were the only ones that drew "oohs" and "aahs."

-At age 6, Patrick was cooking breakfast for younger sister and brothers. At age 10, he was picking cotton around his Bruceton, Tenn., home. The proceeds went to Ernest to pay the utilities.

Even now, Patrick says it wasn't that bad.

"I didn't necessarily pick cotton with my hands," he says. "I chopped."

http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArt...&ATCLID=661087

“I’m totally satisfied with my decision to come back,” he said. “I enjoy waking up each morning playing college football. As far as my performance, I’ve done alright so far, not where I’d love to be at. But that’s part of college football; it’s part of the game. You have to keep working and play to the end. That’s where I’m at right now.”

“I think the leadership this year has been outstanding,” Willis said. “We haven’t won as many games as we wanted to so far, but just being able to come out here each Monday after a loss and motivate these guys, talk to them and get them going on the practice field, I think that's been good.”

“(Academics) was one of the main things,” said Willis. “Although I love to play this great game of football, but it’s not guaranteed that I’m going to go pro after this, and it’s not even guaranteed that I’m going to have tomorrow to play another down of football, so you have to have something to fall back on. And we all know the big thing in the world today is having an education, a degree to fall back on. That was one of the most important factors.”

It doesn’t hurt that Willis has dominated opposing offenses and perhaps earned his place in Rebel lore as the most heralded defensive player in Ole Miss football history.

I think this says a little about him if y'all take the time to read it...lol

I will tell you a story. During this season I was walking through campus towards 'the grove' before a football game. I walked be a group of about 12 kids ranging from about 6-13 years old and they were playing a game of touch football. 1 of the kids had on a #10 Eli Manning Jersey..the other 11 kids were wearing #49 Patrick Willis Jerseys. I saw that and kinda laughed..everybody loves him.

I would absolutely love for him to play for the texans. but i think we have bigger needs to address with our #1 pick unfortunately. I wouldn't mind us trading down a few spots to get him but I have a feeling he will definitly go top 15. He would be a great fit for our team though. his heart, desire to play, dedication, leadership, would be amazing next to demeco. we could have back to back DROYs at the lb position!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #4
baba ganoush
Veteran

not good or great, phenominal...but not as good as DeMeco!!!
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow...after seeing that I want Willis and Demeco as two of our linebackers. Mmm mmm mmm, we'd put a hurt onto many a team with that combo!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #6
Big J
Rookie

Damn...I havent really seen him play but that play showed me instincts. Is he projected high 1st round? Do you think he could fall to the second?

I wouldnt mind trading down to get him and address satefy or dt in the second round.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

He plays Mike and really doubt he could play any other position in the NFL other than MLB and SLB.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He plays Mike and really doubt he could play any other position in the NFL other than MLB and SLB.
Switch Demeco to OLB, where he played in college? I don't really want to see that happen, but if he could adapt so quickly to MLB, what kind of force would he be if he went to his natural position?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #9
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Switch Demeco to OLB, where he played in college? I don't really want to see that happen, but if he could adapt so quickly to MLB, what kind of force would he be if he went to his natural position?
If it aint broke.....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #10
Johnny Utah
All Pro

I think he'll be a good LB, but not great. He'll flash some highlight real tackles ever now and then, but he lacks the instints to play the position at an elite level. Demeco has some of the greatest LB instints in the game, and that's what seperates him from the rest.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Mississipi St. ? I think he is not likely to be an option for us. If he goes in the first round I wouldn't be surprised. 4-6 speed doesn't grow on trees there Miss. St. guy. Either way Meco at MLB ,Willis at the Will I could live with either scenario. Might get a shot at him.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-04-2007 at 10:11 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you mean by Miss St?

I have a question regarding Demeco playing MLB. is it because he fits there better than olb? or is it because we don't have any better person to fit at mlb and allow the lb's to play outside because they cant in the middle. I always figured thats why. Demeco is an incredible player and is good enough to play middle or outside..i always just figured it was more like...well damn these guys can't play inside only outside...so lets just stick boy wonder at mike!

I could be wrong but i always thought that's why he is there. its the best combination we could have out there.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see anyone who has watched the guy play banging on the guy. He's not from a top twenty five program so what ? He's a highly productive player. Who most have with a first round grade. Only a Miss. St. guy would bang on him. Instead of sour grapes, rotten eggs ?

Old Miss:
I think Demeeco is the best they got and they put him in a positon to make palys. Sure would like to see what he can do coming off the edge at the Will though. If we're going to be fortunate enough ot land a big time LB prospect going to be fun this summer seeing what they do with them. Who plays were .

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-05-2007 at 01:08 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #14
TexansCanes
All Pro

i love watching Pat play, he is all over the field and never misses a tackle. i always heard that he run faster than 4.6. burce feldman reported he ran a 4.4 in his workout warriors section of his blog. i don't think he will drop to our second but if he is there i hope we take him. both pat and demeco are versatile enough to play together. plus, he is a texans type of guy character wise
Old 01-04-2007   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would absolutely love to have in him the second round. Doubtfull he falls, but I run to the podium if he is there.

I think is is slightly undersized weight wise for MLB as is DeMeco, and I think Ryans has cemented himself at MLB. I think Willis would make a top end SAM. Good speed and good tackler. Basicly, it's like having two DeMeco's on the field. Willis doesn't have the top instincts of Ryans, but he isn't far behind and has an edge with measurables.
Old 01-05-2007   #16
1-3
Veteran

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

That's Darren Mcfadden he is running down. And how could you possibly lack instincts after basically leading NCAA in tackles two years running?

edit: Here's Kipers take :"Tackling machine with great football sense." #19 on the big board.

Last edited by 1-3; 01-05-2007 at 01:16 AM.
1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3 View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVaa8NWqync

That's Darren Mcfadden he is running down. And how could you possibly lack instincts after basically leading NCAA in tackles two years running?

edit: Here's Kipers take :"Tackling machine with great football sense." #19 on the big board.

That is impressive, showed a little get up and go. I would have to think about moving Ryans back outside with Willis on the team. That would be two tackling machines. Sadly the only way that happens is if we trade down. He will not last to the 9th pick in the 2nd round.

McFadden has to be the RB you most want to draft in 2008. Kid just flat out flies.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #18
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

BOSS Willis is one of my favorite players in the college. I would love to see him in the Texans uniform.

Patrick "BOSS" Willis is a true beast and he is also the best LB in this draft. He will get drafted some where in the middle of the first round. When he plays, he plays as if he is mad at the world. Never takes a play off and often plays with injuries.

Off the field he is one of the best guy you will ever meet. In the NFL, he will be one of the top 5 LB in the leagues for years to come.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #19
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
That is impressive, showed a little get up and go. I would have to think about moving Ryans back outside with Willis on the team. That would be two tackling machines. Sadly the only way that happens is if we trade down. He will not last to the 9th pick in the 2nd round.

McFadden has to be the RB you most want to draft in 2008. Kid just flat out flies.
we have the 7th pick in the 2nd rd., and 9th in the 3rd.
Old 01-05-2007   #20
Heywood
Veteran

miami might draft an MLB type in round 1.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read