Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-04-2007   #1
Jawja Texan
Rookie

Default What about Jamarcus Russell?

Best passer in the SEC this year. Incredible athlete. I think he would be a great replacement for Carr. Any thoughts?
Jawja Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #2
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP
Default Re: What about Jamarcus Russell?

Not available at pick #8 plus I think the team would be better served addressing the OL or DB situation in the first round.
Old 01-04-2007   #3
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

I'd love to have him, but I don't see any way he will be available with the 8th pick. With so many other needs, though, I don't want to give up a mother lode of draft picks to move up to get him.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #4
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we would be smart to start thinking about replacements for Carr, for sure, if the powers-that-be can be convinced to make him unemployed. I haven't started looking at prospects yet (stupid work, getting in the way of offseason-mode) but "best passer in the SEC" doesn't mention things like strength of schedule, w/l, offensive scheme, things like that. I get nervous about guys who are in pure passing schemes who beat up on lesser teams.

That said, I know nothing about the relative strength of the SEC to the other conferences.

So my most informed answers would be:
1) I'll chime in once I know more
and
2) He's got a cool name. Jamarcus. Sounds like someone from Gladiator.
3) I get nervous about early first-round quarterbacks, especially when CC (Clueless Ceandris) Brown is lost in space. I would love a replacement safety, especially if there's one worthy of the #8 who can operate in space.
Old 01-04-2007   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he might last until the eight pick, the saints didn't think they could get reggie bush last year. So you never know. But also, I was hearing chris landry last night on FOX Sports Radio, and he said that he had concerns about jemarcus because he thinks he might be a little lazy. And he worries that he might become kind of like Culppeper, great Talent but lacks motivation and doens't really gives it his best.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

a while ago i figured russell's stock would rise enough where he could wind up going where the texans pick. but now, he's gone beyond that. barring a terrible combine, he's pretty much going to be gone by the time the texans pick.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #7
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
a while ago i figured russell's stock would rise enough where he could wind up going where the texans pick. but now, he's gone beyond that. barring a terrible combine, he's pretty much going to be gone by the time the texans pick.
So who do you think is gonna draft him. The raiders or Lions. Those are the only two teams that I think will draft a QB. The Browns need alot of needs and I think they wanna give Frye some more time. The Bucs hace Chris Simms, the cardinals have linart, the redskins campbell, and the vikings have a rookie project who they drafted last year, can't remember his name.,
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2007   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i can see the raiders trading for chris simms actually. the bucs signed him really just so they could trade him. gruden doesn't like him, there's no reason why he should stay in tampa. but even if the raiders don't trade for simms, they'll go after another vet, and the lions and browns will probably go 1 and 2 with QB's. lions take russell, browns take quinn, who's already campainging to play for them.
Old 01-04-2007   #9
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i can see the raiders trading for chris simms actually. the bucs signed him really just so they could trade him. gruden doesn't like him, there's no reason why he should stay in tampa. but even if the raiders don't trade for simms, they'll go after another vet, and the lions and browns will probably go 1 and 2 with QB's. lions take russell, browns take quinn, who's already campainging to play for them.
That could happen, but I have been hearing on sports radio from scouts is that the Lions are in love with Quinn and will be the only Qb that they will take. Also, Jemarcus is not all hunky dori, that he might lack motivation and just wants the Money and this is coming from Chris Landry. Also, gruden wants to win now, and he likes veteran QB's. I don't think he wants to wait two or three years. Just remember that many players play great in bowl games and then drop a liitle bit after more scouting and personal workouts are conducted.
Old 01-04-2007   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
That could happen, but I have been hearing on sports radio from scouts is that the Lions are in love with Quinn and will be the only Qb that they will take. Also, Jemarcus is not all hunky dori, that he might lack motivation and just wants the Money and this is coming from Chris Landry. Also, gruden wants to win now, and he likes veteran QB's. I don't think he wants to wait two or three years. Just remember that many players play great in bowl games and then drop a liitle bit after more scouting and personal workouts are conducted.
Nevermind on the Bucs taking a rookie QB, I misread your post, but I still think the Browns won't take A QB.
Old 01-04-2007   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yeah, chris landry's analysis is what really bothers me about russell. i've heard him say for a few weeks now that he really questions his work ethic and attitude. and landry is pretty close to the LSU situation, i trust what he says. as for the lions being in love with quinn....i'd say it's far too early for a team to be in love with anyone so much that they'd form an absolute opinion. there's still a few more games left...
Old 01-04-2007   #12
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawja Texan View Post
Best passer in the SEC this year. Incredible athlete. I think he would be a great replacement for Carr. Any thoughts?
Who says Carr is even being replaced at this point? As of right now he is our QB and until that changes they won't be looking at a QB in the 1st round, likely in the 2nd or even 3rd rounds either. If the front office didn't succumb to the local pressures of drafting Vince in the 1st last year they won't draft a QB high in the draft this year unless they decide to move Carr, and to this point they have not made that decision so it's kind of a moot point to be arguing until they reveal their plans for Carr, and all indications I've seen lead to that Carr will be here next year.
Old 01-04-2007   #13
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nevermind on the Bucs taking a rookie QB, I misread your post, but I still think the Browns won't take A QB.
The Browns are licking there chops hoping Adrian falls right into there lap...

There need is not one of these first round QB's, IMHO...
Old 01-04-2007   #14
Jawja Texan
Rookie

Default This team needs Jemarcus Russell!!!!!!

Bye David! Nice try! Bring on an SEC quarterback! Someone who knows the game!
Old 01-04-2007   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team needs Jemarcus Russell!!!!!!

Though I agree with your sentiment that Carr must go, Jamarcus is not the answer. People are getting a little too fired up. I mentioned this in an earlier post and it has been thrown around on national and local radio but Jamarcus has a little bit to go. He WILL be a stud in my book. Big guy with a big arm and seems smart. However, he is project raw right now. He studded out on a ND defense that is weak. When he played against top defenses this year he struggled mightily. NFL Ds would eat him alive. It isn't a knock on him, just a question on whether we need him. I guess if you wanted a vet and him learning for a year or so, yopu could do it.. On top of that, I don't think he'll last until 8. In fact he might not last past 1.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #16
Jawja Texan
Rookie

Nice points. I did get a little fired up. I've watched him all season, and he is a little rough around the edges. But Dear God, the potential is phenomenal. Critics were sure that Vince wouldn't make it in the NFL. Russell could possibly dominate the game.
Old 01-04-2007   #17
macaronitoni
Rookie

Default Jamarcus Russell

What do ya'll think are chances of getting him at number 8, if he comes out? Personally I think he's going to be every bit as good, if not BETTER, than VY and well LSU ain't quite in texas, its the closest powerhouse after UT so go look at it from that angle. The guy's a beast, has a winning attitude, cocky as hell but I like that in a quarterback. He verbally states he is the best QB in the nation, and hey...he did nothing but prove it against Quinn. Personally, I think he will stay another year. This was his break away year, and next year, He will be a legitimate heisman candidate, a good chance at the national title, and assuming he just gets even better, will likely up his stock in the NFL. Vince Young came out the same year he broke out in college, but he was a runner up at Heisman, and won the national title. That was the best time to come out. I don't know, I really like this kid, and think he would shut up a lot of the VY lovers. (I'm one of them by the way)
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jamarcus Russell

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=33729
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=33729
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Needing and getting him are too different things. Unfortunately, the Texans are probably too high up in the draft order at 8th to have a chance at Russell. And I don't want to trade up to get him either. We need all the draft picks we can get. What I do like though is that if JaMarcus does declare, then maybe an Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, or Gaines Adams falls to #8.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read