Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2007   #1
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24254 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cleats. Yep, cleats.

With my work schedule, I didn't have the luxury of watching too many games. The few that I watched, I noticed quite a few key plays in our opponents favor were due to one of our guys slipping (this is on our home field).

Our opponents were slipping sometimes also, but is there some way the Texans can make this a home-field advantage? Is ther some kind of footwear that minimizes slipping on our particular surface?
Are cleats regulated to certain types only (I know there's the brand-name thing)?
Beer and Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cleats. Yep, cleats.

As far as I know, there are two types 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. Long is for the mud. Players prefer the short as I think they are faster in them. That's about the extent of my in put.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know for a fact that there are better cleats, but the question is whether they'll be allowed by the league.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

The lengths of cleats can be changed out depending on the surface as edo mentioned, however, many players playing on astro turf (the old stuff - not the new field turf) would use high top basketball shoes. Nowadays, there isn't much of the old stuff around (even at the college level) as most everyone is using the new field turf. Not sure whats used there.

The cool thing about natural grass is that you can soak or muddy up the field to slow teams down - like Indy or the Rams a few years ago. Some people link that to the struggles of teams that play in Dome Stadiums (i.e. the Oilers). Some people argue that it has no effect and some argue that home teams don't engage in this practice.
Old 01-04-2007   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The lengths of cleats can be changed out depending on the surface as edo mentioned, however, many players playing on astro turf (the old stuff - not the new field turf) would use high top basketball shoes. Nowadays, there isn't much of the old stuff around (even at the college level) as most everyone is using the new field turf. Not sure whats used there.

The cool thing about natural grass is that you can soak or muddy up the field to slow teams down - like Indy or the Rams a few years ago. Some people link that to the struggles of teams that play in Dome Stadiums (i.e. the Oilers). Some people argue that it has no effect and some argue that home teams don't engage in this practice.

Or you can be like Notre Dame last year and grow the grass out 3 inches against USC.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our field looked terrible at the end of the season because we had a lot of home games.

The schedule maker did not seem to care about the quality of our field
Old 01-05-2007   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

They built the stadium laid out north to south instead of east to west. With no light source from the south...the grass starts dieing at the end of september. Which means...they gotta truck new grass in. Especailly, when they have a bowl game the same week. New grass, no matter how good it is, is not good for football games and traction. Bad planing by everyone all around. Maybe they can develope mud grips for our guys ? Whatca think ? I would post who knew. But for what we paid for Reliant, someone shoulda known. I been voting against the Judge ever since. I'll get him one day too.
Old 01-05-2007   #8
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The grass is grown in trays, I believe they have almost 2 fields worth of grass and trays. They do change out the field between games, at the least the between the hashes. The problem lies in the roots never get deep enough to hold up to the game like a true outdoor grass.

I am wondering when and if they can install the field turf, at least try a tray system for it. Deeper trays would help no matter what grass they used.

The NFL laid down real grass for the Super Bowl, not the tray kind. It held up much better then the field they are using now.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #9
CoogBull
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CoogBull

I noticed the slipping as well. I was mad about it because I think it reflects badly on the team.

DR was complaining about it on the radio after the Browns game. He said that this time of year the grass does not have the chance to dry out because of the temp. This makes it soggy.

He also said that the field crew would use fans to try and dry it out a bit, but that it did not seem to work.

Is it feasible to install field turf just for the last couple of weeks, or are there rule against it?

I would rather have grass, but if we can not maintain it I would rather see field turf.

CoogBull - A man for all seasons.
CoogBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The technology in field turf has come along way and is alot safer. Players are even starting to perfer that playing surface. I wouldn't mind them making the switch eventually. I went to the Colts game this year and the field looked less than lack luster. I also remember last year reading a piece on how players around the league felt we had the worst playing surface, I think it was mostly the Jags.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read