Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:Financing a used Carr

Quote:
If rumors and speculation are to be taken seriously out of Reliant Park, David Carr’s career with the Texans might be nearing the end. There is talk of the team either trading or releasing the first overall draft pick of the 2002 draft, but taking such a measure has salary cap implications worth evaluating.

First though, here are some presumed facts about how the Texans have financed their Carr to date:

• The Texans executed a three-year buyback option before the official start to the 2006 season, allowing the team to prorate the $8 million bonus across a fourth year and onto the 2005 salary cap at $2 million per season.

• As it stands now, Carr has a 2007 cap value of roughly $7.25 million, the same as it was in 2006, which is made up of the $2 million bonus prorate plus a base salary of $5.25 million next season.

• Carr is scheduled to earn a base salary of $6 million in 2008, making his current cap value in the final year of his contract roughly $8 million.

• While we do not know for certain how much room the Texans currently have under the 2007 salary cap, recent projections put the team somewhere near $19.8 million. I keep an unofficial tally here on HoustonProFootball.com, and depending on how the team treats the dead money for earlier big cuts like Gary Walker, Todd Wade, and Robaire Smith, that cap room could be closer to $14 million or less.

So onto the “what if” scenarios…
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout143.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HPF:Financing a used Carr

This is a must read article for Texans fans. Read it. Read it now.
Old 01-04-2007   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This is a must read article for Texans fans. Read it. Read it now.
Yep. I agree. Well written. Keith explains the different scenerios with Carr in a way that even I can understand.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #4
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

So either way Carr wins and we lose in the contract of his? I wouldn't mind to see if we get a high pick for trading Carr.
SamuraiSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSword View Post
So either way Carr wins and we lose in the contract of his? I wouldn't mind to see if we get a high pick for trading Carr.
It's called job security
Old 01-04-2007   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I reading this right? If we cut Carr we only lose $4 million?

Does Keith's $14 million cap projection take into account the $5 cap increase for 2007?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Am I reading this right? If we cut Carr we only lose $4 million?

Does Keith's $14 million cap projection take into account the $5 cap increase for 2007?
Thats my question as well.... I was prepared for the Carr Cap Hit, but was also thinking it wouldn't be as bad as it could have been because of the Cap increase for 2007.
Old 01-04-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting read.
Old 01-04-2007   #9
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea very interesting , I wonder who the rumors are being started by, John McClain and the media, is that the source?
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #10
real

Quote:
If another team is willing to give Carr the $4 million he is owed in a trade scenario, Carr can actually give back (or, more specifically, forfeit) the $4 million he is about to receive from the Texans so long as he does it before the new league year begins in March, thereby saving the Texans that dead money altogether.

Old 01-04-2007   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
Yea very interesting , I wonder who the rumors are being started by, John McClain and the media, is that the source?
I would say that the comments made by Kubiak himself points towards the fact that something MAY happen, not that it's going to, but that there is a chance. IMO that alone is enough for speculative thoughts on the subject
Old 01-04-2007   #12
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I would say that the comments made by Kubiak himself points towards the fact that something MAY happen, not that it's going to, but that there is a chance. IMO that alone is enough for speculative thoughts on the subject
Yea something is happening and that something is nothing, but what ever, it sales papers and keeps you guys interested.
Old 01-04-2007   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The interview with Rick Smith on 610 this morning didn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement either.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
The interview with Rick Smith on 610 this morning didn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement either.
I listened to that interview this morning, and I came away feeling the same way...
Old 01-04-2007   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

I guess you hear what you want to hear when you hear that from Smitty.

What I got, is that he is going to be looked at just like every other player, and it does not start and end with Carr as the problems with this franchise, like others think.

I could be wrong though
Old 01-04-2007   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
Exactly. No one in the organization is coming out and saying that he is their man. This is a good sign.

If we only lose $4 million by cutting Carr I can see it happening if there aren't any takers on a trade. He makes way too much money to be a backup or a project which he basically is.
Old 01-04-2007   #17
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
I guess you hear what you want to hear when you hear that from Smitty.

What I got, is that he is going to be looked at just like every other player, and it does not start and end with Carr as the problems with this franchise, like others think.
Do you really think that each player is going to be looked at the same way? Do you think they will look at Carr the same way they do DeMeco? I think not.

There are certain players that have jobs going into next season no matter what (e.g. Ryans, Williams, Daniels, Robinson, Johnson) and then are players that are truly being evaluated to determine if they should be on the roster. Carr falls into the latter category.
Old 01-04-2007   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Do you really think that each player is going to be looked at the same way? Do you think they will look at Carr the same way they do DeMeco? I think not.

There are certain players that have jobs going into next season no matter what (e.g. Ryans, Williams, Daniels, Robinson, Johnson) and then are players that are truly being evaluated to determine if they should be on the roster. Carr falls into the latter category.
Is that D. Williams or M. Williams?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Thats my question as well.... I was prepared for the Carr Cap Hit, but was also thinking it wouldn't be as bad as it could have been because of the Cap increase for 2007.
Me too. From what I've read and heard multiple times now the cap hit would be a prorated cut of his bonus and not his salary and would only count about a little less than 5 mil TOTAL. This with the increase made me think it was worth it.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I listened to that interview this morning, and I came away feeling the same way...
Me too. In fact he glossed the part about winning the last two games and basically said 6wins wasn't good enough and that the QB didn't perform in some situations and that everything would be evaluated. I took it with an open mind and to me he almost seemed "on edge" about this years performance.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read