Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2007   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm down for defense in 1st round still.

28th in takeaways this past season with 22.

If we go Laron Landry at #8 I wont be mad.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I'm down for defense in 1st round still.

unless joe thomas slips to ya, i think the smart move is defense.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #3
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1291 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be happy with Landry, Nelson, A. Gaines, or A. Branch, not in any order. I would be a little surprise if they Draft A.P. or M. Lynch, but won't complain. The 2nd rd- the best CB available, or LT! The 3rd rd- the best available LB , RB, or DT! The 4th rd- OG, OT! I even wish QB-Smith if available! Get 1 or 2 FAs- CB, DT, OG! I have a feeling Carr will traded in or waived for cap savings. I think Plummer would be OK on a temp basis & cheap cuz he seem to do well with Coach Kubes. Also Mario will be a BEAST next season after a yr under his belt & healthy, mark my words!
Old 01-03-2007   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
unless joe thomas slips to ya, i think the smart move is defense.
agreed. if thomas manages to slide to us, we obviously take him without hesitation. if thomas doesnt, our next look needs to be at landry. if neither, i'm not really sure but i keep it on the defensive end ... pass rushing or pass coverage preferably.
Old 01-03-2007   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

after what kubiak said a few days ago(and before FA) i think we're looking at:

jamarcus russell/brady quinn:vomit:
AP/marshawn
CJ/Jarrett/meachem etc
branch
adams....

personally i think cb/fs are the best value where we're at
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
agreed. if thomas manages to slide to us, we obviously take him without hesitation. if thomas doesnt, our next look needs to be at landry. if neither, i'm not really sure but i keep it on the defensive end ... pass rushing or pass coverage preferably.
Or move down, which is what Richard Smith is indicating he wants to do. Which means this isn't a very good year to be locking in on players around the eight.

Nice post phantom17.
Old 01-03-2007   #7
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

After the drafts we've had the last two years I'm not going to predict who we're going to pick anymore. All I know is that we have huge holes in our secondary, o-line, and d-line. I'd be happy with a guy like LaRon Landry who can come in and make an impact right away. But who knows what the coaches and gm are thinking at this point or even a few months later. Things change week to week. Someone who looks good now might not look so good next month. I'm just going to sit back and watch this time around...
Old 01-03-2007   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Or move down, which is what Richard Smith is indicating he wants to do. Which means this isn't a very good year to be locking in on players around the eight.

Nice post phantom17.
where'd you hear that?
Old 01-03-2007   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Nice post phantom17.
i'm almost always for trading down and this year is no exception. if we can get a good deal, i'd be ok with trading down and stockpiling draft picks because we'd be able to add extra "kubiak" players.

however, i feel there's solid talent in the top 10 in need positions (FS, OT most specefically) that we wouldnt be reaching if we stayed put.
Old 01-03-2007   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Any chance NE wants to trade down?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

It was in the chornicle the other day in the post game "game day". You gonna make me dig out the link ?
Jan 3. 2007
Page H5:
time for off season mode:" " I have a lot of confidence in Rick (Richard Smith) and Gary , McNair said. We had a remarkable draft"....Smith who hired CHRISS OLSEN ( our new capoligist) from NFL Management Council,.....

Will try to aquire extra draft choices and restructure contracts.... to free up more room under the cap. " The texans should be 10 to 13 million under the cap."

OK Maddict5 ?

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-03-2007 at 02:33 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

no its ok.. i always trust posters aged 40+
Old 01-03-2007   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
no its ok.. i always trust posters aged 40+
Your going to trust Pete? For crying out load he is only 51, just a dang pup!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm kind of amazed no one is talking about Leon Hall. Pre-combine, he is pegged in mocks to go about where we're drafting and he would be a great complement to Robinson. He plays physical and can play either safety or CB. He kind of reminds me of Michael Huff in that regard.

Of course, I'd rather find a way to get a top talent LT, but if that's not in the stars, then Leon Hall is my favorite candidate (over Landry) for now.
Old 01-03-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm kind of amazed no one is talking about Leon Hall. Pre-combine, he is pegged in mocks to go about where we're drafting and he would be a great complement to Robinson. He plays physical and can play either safety or CB. He kind of reminds me of Michael Huff in that regard.

Of course, I'd rather find a way to get a top talent LT, but if that's not in the stars, then Leon Hall is my favorite candidate (over Landry) for now.
Judging by some of the posts of our more experenced draft gurus on the board, he didn't have a very good game the other day. TBS, I've been suspicious of the class' over all DB tallent for a while. What I saw of him concidering the compitition I thought he did ok.
Old 01-03-2007   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, I don't claim to be a draft guru by any means, but the guy has consistently played well against top competition for a couple years now. Landry would be a good pick-up as well, I suppose ... I just prefer a solid CB with a pick that high.
Old 01-03-2007   #17
cadahnic
All Pro

As of right now I consider Leon Hall the top CB in this draft and would be happy taking him at #8 as long as Adrian Peterson isn't available. I've heard a lot about Darelle Revis and Antoine Cason but haven't seen enough of them yet, plus I'll wait until after the Combine to make any kind of real positional rankings.
Old 01-03-2007   #18
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am all for going defense again. Looking at a FS, CB, OLB and DT. Heck if Gaines is there at 8 I would be damn tempted to snap him up.

I think defense is where we have the most glaring weaknesses.

Hopefully our issues on offense especially the line and RB will be fixed by an improvement in health and another off season in the system.
Old 01-03-2007   #19
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I am all for going defense again. Looking at a FS, CB, OLB and DT. Heck if Gaines is there at 8 I would be damn tempted to snap him up.

I think defense is where we have the most glaring weaknesses.

Hopefully our issues on offense especially the line and RB will be fixed by an improvement in health and another off season in the system.
I still don't know why so many people are set on drafting a DT. I'd rather draft an athletic, big DE and move Weaver inside to DT. That would give us Weaver, Payne, Malone, and Maddox inside plus anyone else we can pick up, I think that is a more solid set than what we have at DE and I think Weaver is more effective inside than coming off the edge.
Old 01-03-2007   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic View Post
I still don't know why so many people are set on drafting a DT. I'd rather draft an athletic, big DE and move Weaver inside to DT. That would give us Weaver, Payne, Malone, and Maddox inside plus anyone else we can pick up, I think that is a more solid set than what we have at DE and I think Weaver is more effective inside than coming off the edge.
thats a good idea if Weaver recovers from his shoulder injury, but I doubt the Texans can count on anyone who has been on IR or faced season ending injurys. we also still have a pair of pretty good DE's in Peek & Babin plus Mario

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read