Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Sherman GONE?!

The Cardinals wasted little time embarking on their search for the team's seventh head coach since moving to Arizona in 1988.

Michael Bidwill and Rog Graves identified six candidates: Tennessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Houston assistant head coach Mike Sherman, Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Indianapolis assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm. Sherman's interview is scheduled for Thursday at the team's "remarkable" facility.

**Other interviews have yet to be scheduled.**
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: Sherman GONE?!

Eh. Not definte yet.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm wondering if we can get anything for some of "sherman's" players such as gado & flanagan if he were to get the head coaching job.
Old 01-02-2007   #4
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Norm Chow goes to Arizona. For one, it would take him away from the Titans. Secondly, it could help Matt Leinhart in Arizona.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

i doubt he would want to take that job, arizona is twelve times worse than the texans, and job security is not very high there.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #6
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

That has to be one of the least attractive head coaching jobs in the league (the Raiders win that contest, though).

I think Sherman is pretty likely to get a head coaching job somewhere.
Old 01-02-2007   #7
Toro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
That has to be one of the least attractive head coaching jobs in the league (the Raiders win that contest, though).
Tradition wise, you're dead on. However, in terms of the talent whoever replaces Green will have to work with, this job may be one of the more ENTICING jobs out there.

Getting to take over a team that plays in one of the best stadiums in sports, while working with talent such as James, Boldin, Fitzgerald and Leinart, in a town where there's sun 360 days out of the year isn't neccessarily a bad thing.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2007   #8
PoolMaster21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
The Cardinals wasted little time embarking on their search for the team's seventh head coach since moving to Arizona in 1988.

Michael Bidwill and Rog Graves identified six candidates: Tennessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow, Houston assistant head coach Mike Sherman, Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Indianapolis assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm. Sherman's interview is scheduled for Thursday at the team's "remarkable" facility.

**Other interviews have yet to be scheduled.**
Big Question - who becomes our OC when Sherman and Calhoun are gone? Baby Shanahan?
PoolMaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolMaster21 View Post
Big Question - who becomes our OC when Sherman and Calhoun are gone? Baby Shanahan?
Whoever was calling the shots for Boise St. last night would get my vote. lol
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #10
wwffan99tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 wwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotwwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Why would they want Sherman? According to 49% of these boards (the other 51% blame Carr) the O-line is why the Texans offense was so horrible and I believe Sherman was in charge of that unit.
wwffan99tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #11
PoolMaster21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwffan99tx View Post
Why would they want Sherman? According to 49% of these boards (the other 51% blame Carr) the O-line is why the Texans offense was so horrible and I believe Sherman was in charge of that unit.
I've often read that Houston was a 1 year way-station for Sherman before returning to head coaching - he's well-respected, and the Packers' fall in 04/05 was due to injuries more than anything else. There are certainly more shoes to drop in the upcoming off-season!
PoolMaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #12
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedtexansfan513 View Post
i doubt he would want to take that job, arizona is twelve times worse than the texans, and job security is not very high there.
Actually the Texans are the worst team in NFL History and will probably stay that way for a while...
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #13
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Pete Carrel is in the mix as well.

As bad as our O-line is (and its bad), you can see that better coaching DID help them.
Old 01-02-2007   #14
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
I've often read that Houston was a 1 year way-station for Sherman before returning to head coaching - he's well-respected, and the Packers' fall in 04/05 was due to injuries more than anything else. There are certainly more shoes to drop in the upcoming off-season!

Agreed. He's an excellent coach who had a fine record at GB. What did him in were not only injuries, but also the fact that a lot of his personnel decisions were not perceived to be good (remember, he was also the GM at Green Bay). If he's the head coach and not the GM of a team, there's no reason why he can't be successful. Given his record at GB, he more than deserves a second chance.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #15
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say Chow he wanted Matt now he gets that chance.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I would not be shocked if Sherman is one and done with us. This was an opportunity to help he buddy Kubiak with the transition from OC to HC. Now that he has done that, it is time for him to go find his own coaching job.

I personally like Mike Sherman. I think he got the shaft in GB. How many teams lose as many RB's and WR's as they did last year? I hope he gets a good gig and makes the most of it. I tip my hat to the man.
Old 01-03-2007   #17
DayneBum
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm wondering if we can get anything for some of "sherman's" players such as gado & flanagan if he were to get the head coaching job.
something like what? If sherman is gone, so is Gado, Flanagan, and whoever else he bought over here from the Gpack. Those players are going with him.
DayneBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #18
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
I hope CoachDent from the MB, dont know if he was realy doing it but in another post said he was going to apply for the job.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #19
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Saben on his way to bama, now the Fins need a coach also.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Some opinions of my own about Sherman...based off of what I've seen on this board and seen on the field.

Troy Calhoun was OC in name only. I think that Sherman had a lot more input with the offense.

I think that the O-Line scrapped zone blocking early in the season and used Sherman's own style of blocking.

I don't think that he's done well enough as an HC or as an assistant to get another head coaching job.

Last edited by Mr. White; 01-03-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read