Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-02-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Texans taking K. Kolb?!

Have the Texans ever even expressed a shred of interest in Kolb, or are we just a bunch of homers that saw what the kid did with a lousy program and want to keep him at home?!

I know most people think he's a 3rd- or 4th-rounder, but this is an extremely weak QB draft, and he's rated as a top 5 QB prospect. I'd be very surprised to see him last past the 2nd round at this point, unless a relative unknown rockets up the boards like Cutler did last year.

What Kolb ran at UH was a hybrid of the run-and-shoot . It is true that 'those' offenses are not nearly as productive in the NFL today (as they were with Moon in the R & S), because defenses have, for the most part, figured them out (see Mike Vick).

But, none of that matters as it relates to talking about Kolb though. The guy is big, strong, tough and mobile. He is forced to have read defenses, make quick / smart decisions and deliver the ball ... All tangibles that DO translate to the NFL.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans taking K. Kolb?!

Would rather have Russell or Troy Smith.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

His current grade is low 2nd round (per Kolb during an in-studio appearance with his agent on SR 610 this morning).

That can and probably will change one way or another depending on Pro Day, combine, and Sr. Bowl performances. People are talking like he could slip into the late 1st but that's all highly speculative at this point.

Kolb is working with Jerry Rhome over at Robertson this week.

Last edited by aj.; 01-02-2007 at 08:24 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 72749 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quick, smart decisions. That sums up Kevin's greatest strength right there. He has a Quarterback's brain. I dare say Kevin will be the smartest QB taken in the draft.

Those quick, smart decisions allowed him to throw 30 td's this season while only throwing 4 interceptions. 3 of the interceptions were deflections off his receivers.

He is mobile and has a strong arm. He is a leader on offense while on the field and is very involved on the sidelines with the coaching staff and offensive unit.

And while people may critisize UH's offense as some pass happy run and shoot, bear in mind, the Cougars ran more than they passed this season.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #5
PoolMaster21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Quick, smart decisions.
Absolutely the most important "skill" required for QB success - that's why rag-arm QBs like Pennington can look so good. I really like what I've seen of Kolb so far this year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him climb up to the 2nd round of the draft. I don't think he'll make the first round - nobody has any respect for C-USA or the U of H.
PoolMaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #6
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I dont know what it is about him, but when I watch him, he always seems poised. Nothing seems to ever phase him or rattle him, and he makes great decisions like gwallaia said. I think it'd be cool if we actually got a local kid like Kolb seeing as how we never have, but at the same time, we might miss out because of where he goes.
Old 01-03-2007   #7
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler
Lightbulb Re: Texans taking K. Kolb?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Have the Texans ever even expressed a shred of interest in Kolb, or are we just a bunch of homers that saw what the kid did with a lousy program and want to keep him at home?!

I know most people think he's a 3rd- or 4th-rounder, but this is an extremely weak QB draft, and he's rated as a top 5 QB prospect. I'd be very surprised to see him last past the 2nd round at this point, unless a relative unknown rockets up the boards like Cutler did last year.

What Kolb ran at UH was a hybrid of the run-and-shoot . It is true that 'those' offenses are not nearly as productive in the NFL today (as they were with Moon in the R & S), because defenses have, for the most part, figured them out (see Mike Vick).

But, none of that matters as it relates to talking about Kolb though. The guy is big, strong, tough and mobile. He is forced to have read defenses, make quick / smart decisions and deliver the ball ... All tangibles that DO translate to the NFL.
That man can play some QB when he is on his game. I watched him a couple of times. Its too bad he couldn't win at the liberty bowl. It was a sad day for coog fans. I am not for sure he is ready to play the NFL level, but you never know.
SamuraiSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2007   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

From the Kolb training news

Quote:
...Kolb, who is rated as a second-round pick by most scouts, began his workouts with Jerry Rhome, the longtime NFL quarterback, quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator who prepared Vince Young for the 2006 draft....

...With Rhome barking instructions to Kolb, he threw an array of perfect passes to receivers Byron Ely and Vincent Marshall. Between throws, Rhome talked to Kolb about his mechanics, specifically about the significance of footwork.

"People just don't realize how important a quarterback's feet are," Rhome said later.

If Kolb needs convincing, he should talk to David Carr. Texans coach Gary Kubiak talked so much about Carr's feet this season he sounded like a shoe salesman....

...Rhome has worked with quarterbacks represented by Nalley and McElroy, but none had Kolb's arm, talent and potential.

...Rhome, who was Steve McNair's first coach with the Oilers, was extremely patient last year when he tutored Young. When NFL scouts and coaches went to Austin for the Longhorns' pro day, Young put on a magnificent performance that was orchestrated by Rhome.

"I take a lot of pride in what Vince has done," Rhome said. "He worked so hard to prepare for the draft, and I'm so proud of him.

"As everyone knows, Vince's greatest strength is his ability to rise to the occasion. We've seen it time and time again at every level. I see that same characteristic in Kevin."
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #9
cadahnic
All Pro

To answer the original quesiton, I have not heard anything to suggest the Texans are really looking at him, but at the same time they aren't really saying much of anything about who they're looking at drafting at this point, and honestly they probably don't really have much of an idea at this point. I'm sure they are early in their evaluation process of their current players, then will turn their attention to free agents, then start focusing on the draft after the Combine and start getting ready for that.
Old 02-28-2007   #10
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Texans taking K. Kolb?!

Coach Kubes and I think this kid has alot to bring to the table...I say we should take him in the 3rd round. Not so much in the 2nd but the 3rd............you sit this kid for a year or two and then give him the opportunity to start and show what he can do. I mean we have a outstanding reciever in AJ alone well........... and a great tight end in Owens, this kid would already be surrounded by weapons.

Coach Kubes said that he liked him alot I actually see us picking him up in the 3rd round thats if he's still there a big IF he's still there.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #11
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to be anti-the local kid, but why do so many people feel that picking up a third round quarterback and sitting him for a couple of years is going to solve our problems at qb? There are no "sure things" at the top of the prospect chart, and they only get worse as you work down that list. I'd rather have Sage as the backup rather than Kolb...
Old 02-28-2007   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
I'd rather have Sage as the backup rather than Kolb...
There's no NFL rule that a team can't carry 3 QBs. In fact, most do.
Old 02-28-2007   #13
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kevin Kolb fits Kubiak's idea of a QB to a T. He's a fairly mobile guy who can throw on the run, or stand in and deliver an accurate throw. He also played with no playbook in college, which means he should be able to handle the load in the NFL. I like the idea of taking Kolb, possibly in the 2nd round.

However, I'm also a fan of taking Robert Meachem in the 2nd round. Unless we were to trade for another 2nd round pick, we'd only have one to use.

Which player makes the most sense out of the two to you guys? Kolb or Meachem?
Old 02-28-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From reading some of the posts around here, I have heard that Kolb does NOT fit our system. Is this true or false?

I do like the idea of getting a QB , other than 1st rd, and sitting him for a year or 2. Let him transition into the nfl and learn the plays, get a relationship with the coaches and players, build our offensive line. then when kubes thinks the kid, say kolb, should get the start, say when carrs contract is done with, put him in. Let him play during the preseason games and go in to the regular season games when we're winning big or losing big.

I don't know much about kolb, and how he'd do as a texan. If kubes likes him, i'm fine with it in the 3rd rd.

In the 2nd rd of this draft, I'd say draft Meachem if he's there...i think he'll go first round though. I like kalil to be our C, but think he'll be gone. There is a very good chance a good CB and WR will slip to the 2nd rd to us because there are only so few spots in the 1st rd. Also, i think there is an actual chance Paul Posluzny may fall to the 2nd rd. if so he could be another great 2nd rd LB to have...much like demeco.

There are too many other people i think that will be rated higher than kolb to warrant his selection in the 2nd.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #15
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Thanks for pointing that out; however, it was my understanding that Kubiak has stated he only wants two qb's on the roster. Furthermore, keeping Carr (or another veteran), Rosenfels and Kevin Kolb doesn't make sense. If you were spending the first pick on a qb - that would be one thing, but if you are talking about a Kolb-level player, you would be better off saving that pick and carrying a third veteran qb...just my opinion.
Old 02-28-2007   #16
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

I just don't feel Kolb is the right guy. I honestly don't know how to explain it. As for Quinn, I think he's got what it takes. He's ran an NFL caliber system for a while, which makes me very confident that he can learn an NFL playbook just fine.

That's just how I feel.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coach Kubes and I think this kid has alot to bring to the table...I say we should take him in the 3rd round. Not so much in the 2nd but the 3rd............you sit this kid for a year or two and then give him the opportunity to start and show what he can do. I mean we have a outstanding reciever in AJ alone well........... and a great tight end in Owens, this kid would already be surrounded by weapons.

Coach Kubes said that he liked him alot I actually see us picking him up in the 3rd round thats if he's still there a big IF he's still there.
I could live with a third. That way when he busts it won't hurt so bad. I just hope he works harder than his body sugested he worked getting ready for the combine. Kinda a looked like poo Bear to me. Where's the honey tree Uncle Bob ? If kubiak gets him up to speed with in two off seasons...he's a QB guru for sure.
Old 03-01-2007   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
From reading some of the posts around here, I have heard that Kolb does NOT fit our system. Is this true or false?
it's completely false. it's just what people say because they want to be the one to speak up against the player everyone wants. without a doubt he's a perfect fit.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #19
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLuxHKiTj9o

Someone was saying he can't throw on the run, but like half the throws are while he is on the run.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #20
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Coach Kubes and I think this kid has alot to bring to the table...I say we should take him in the 3rd round. Not so much in the 2nd but the 3rd
are you kyle shanahan???

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read