Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2007   #1
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent
Default Offensive Analysis

Houston's offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun took the head coaching job at Air Force. Mike Sherman also seems destined to leave for a head coaching vacancy. Both of these things will hopefully help the Texans.

The offense had a major indentity crisis this year. It was without direction or flow. It was sickingly pedestrian at times with little or no motion and formationally stagnant.

We went through "phases" during the season in what seemed like a "hey let's try this" phase. There was the empty sets against the Giants that went away. There was the ONE time Carr was in the gun and ran for TWELVE YARDS! That never came back and was never seen from since.

The pass game was frighteningly inept. Backs were not kept in to max protect, nor were tight ends. At the time during the season when sacks were causing us major problems, we were continuing to release five into routes. Those routes were mostly underneath and stationary. True West Coast is all about getting the ball into receivers' hands in space and then racking up yards after the catch. This year, our YAC was pathetic. One reason is that most of the routes that we throw to are routes where the receiver has his back upfield. He is stationary. Go through a mental note on how many times our backs caught balls at 3 & 4 yards and turned around for 5 or 6 yard gains.

The pass game was predicated on running the football and throwing off the playaction. However, this becomes a problem when you can't run the ball. Additionally, Houston ran less and less bootleg as the season went along. Instead, they ran play action passes where Carr would fake and then set up deeper.

We did not move the pocket and vary Carr's launching points. We put a guy with legs in the same place every throw. We went through another phase where all's we threw were one step drops. This was also in conjunction with the "balls being knocked down" phase. Funny how that happens huh?

We need an explosive player on the offensive side of the ball. Adrian Peterson will hopefully be that guy. The thing about the Texan West Coast that is difficult is that it is a ball control, plodding offense that requires 10,12 and 15 play drives to score. This becomes a problem when you get behind and it becomes a major problem with injuires and lack of talent. It is a tall task to score in the NFL on 10,12 and 15 play drives. That's almost 60 plays to score 28 points....it doesn't happen. The idea of ball control in the NFL will only win you so many games. You have to be explosive. If you look back to the Dom Capers' era, you will see that the Texans were constantly in close games. That will get you to close to .500, but it won't make you a playoff team. The other thing it does is forces you into 3 point games with subpar teams. Cleveland is a perfect example. You should whip that team.

The NFL is geared for the pass. Plain and simple. The rules are made for the pass game. The Texans need to get out of the dark ages and throw the football.

With Calhoun leaving and Sherman leaving, hopefully we will bring in a personality that will throw the football. I have never cared for having a coordinator in name only and then having the coach call the plays. The Eagles are moving away from Reid calling games and they have been very successful doing it. I don't like the way Kubes has managed games. I think it is difficult to be a head coach, an offensive cordinator & play caller and be a quarterback coach. You wear different hats and talk to your quarterback differently in each of those roles...

When Kubes rips into the QB for bad reads or performances as the head coach that is fine. The head coach needs results. But in other situations, that QB would go over to the phone and talk to his QB coach who would talk more about his technique and read progression. Carr doesn't have that in Kubiak. Kubes has to worry about the rest of the team. The QB coach is concerned with what the QB does next and what he as a coach can do to help make sure that he doesn't make that mistake again. A coordinator makes sure that you don't put the QB in that situation again. If the QB is having problems throwing a certain route, you don't call that route. For instance, Carr had a propensity to throw the go route to AJ, regardless of whether he was open or not or if there was double coverage or not. An OC doesn't call that route so Carr doesn't throw that ball.

Carr does not fit this system. I question the decision to extend his contract without any reason before the start of the season. Kubes made that decision and essentially handcuffed us big time. Carr becomes difficult to move, if not impossible. A new coordinator employing more spread formations and concepts within the framework of the West Coast would definitely help our offense. Frankly, there are already components of the spread in our offense that we use already, so it is not like rewriting the playbook.

Ultimately, a coordinator takes his offense and adapts it to his players and their strengths. Carr is a spread offense quarterback. He needs to be in the shotgun and learn to throw out of it. Don't give me this BS that he "can't" and that he "isn't comfotable". You make him comfortable and you make him realize that this will improve our offense and prolong his career.

I'll be sending my resume down this week!
Old 01-02-2007   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offensive Analysis

Good read as usual, and on the whole I agree too.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2007   #3
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post Coach. The only thing I disagree with is drafting an RB like Peterson. With Davis coming back, Dayne having a breakout year, and with Taylor or Lundy (I like Taylor better) it seems we have a decent core of RB's. And with so many other needs on this team like the OL and DL and secondary, it would seem a waste to get another RB. Any thoughts?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

another one of coachdent's great reads. rep headed your way.
Old 01-02-2007   #5
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Nice post Coach. The only thing I disagree with is drafting an RB like Peterson. With Davis coming back, Dayne having a breakout year, and with Taylor or Lundy (I like Taylor better) it seems we have a decent core of RB's. And with so many other needs on this team like the OL and DL and secondary, it would seem a waste to get another RB. Any thoughts?
I was going to mention DD, but I haven't heard what his status was. If he can go full tilt and be the explosive back he once was, then I'm ok addressing other needs in the secondary. But I was led to believe he was ok last year before the draft too. That obviously wasn't the case.

The group of backs we have now are not gamebreakers or game changers. I keep Dayne because I think he earned it and is a very good option in short yardage. He is also a nice pounding, physical back. But he is not a feature back. The flashes from Taylor have been nice, but they are flashes. Tough to hitch your horse to that wagon and say ok. Lundy has not impressed me much and again is not a breaker.

Sitting where we are in the draft, offensive line does not look like a viable pick unless you trade down. Joe Thomas will be gone in the top three or four picks. From there, only the tackles from Penn State is ranked near the top 10 draft picks overall. Then there is Blalock from Texas, but again he is projected to come in betwen the 20th or 25th pick.

I think you use top ten picks to make immediate impacts and we need a game changer immediately. If Calvin Johnson is there, I would be happy. But I don't think Kubes would see the value in going with another dynamic receiver. He would say that AJ is fine and Moulds is a good compliment. I would say that we don't have enough wide receivers on the roster and need to get into more three and four receiver sets. Moulds as a number 3 would be sick. He is past being a viable #2. He is limited and not a burner.
Old 01-02-2007   #6
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post
I was going to mention DD, but I haven't heard what his status was. If he can go full tilt and be the explosive back he once was, then I'm ok addressing other needs in the secondary. But I was led to believe he was ok last year before the draft too. That obviously wasn't the case.

The group of backs we have now are not gamebreakers or game changers. I keep Dayne because I think he earned it and is a very good option in short yardage. He is also a nice pounding, physical back. But he is not a feature back. The flashes from Taylor have been nice, but they are flashes. Tough to hitch your horse to that wagon and say ok. Lundy has not impressed me much and again is not a breaker.

Sitting where we are in the draft, offensive line does not look like a viable pick unless you trade down. Joe Thomas will be gone in the top three or four picks. From there, only the tackles from Penn State is ranked near the top 10 draft picks overall. Then there is Blalock from Texas, but again he is projected to come in betwen the 20th or 25th pick.

I think you use top ten picks to make immediate impacts and we need a game changer immediately. If Calvin Johnson is there, I would be happy. But I don't think Kubes would see the value in going with another dynamic receiver. He would say that AJ is fine and Moulds is a good compliment. I would say that we don't have enough wide receivers on the roster and need to get into more three and four receiver sets. Moulds as a number 3 would be sick. He is past being a viable #2. He is limited and not a burner.
DD states he's near 100% and wants to play next year. My concern is will his knee holdup and that's a big "if". I too like Dayne as a short yardage/relief guy. My other thought is Kubiak will try to get Mathis more in the mix as a receiver. Kub has stated he wants the KR and PR to do double duty. Mathis has the speed but not sure about his receiving abilities.
Old 01-02-2007   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DD states he's near 100% and wants to play next year. My concern is will his knee holdup and that's a big "if". I too like Dayne as a short yardage/relief guy. My other thought is Kubiak will try to get Mathis more in the mix as a receiver. Kub has stated he wants the KR and PR to do double duty. Mathis has the speed but not sure about his receiving abilities.
Here is a quote from Kubiak that I think he should stick with. If DD/DW and Spencer are questionable come draft/FA, he should plan accordingly.

Quote:
(on assessing Carr reasonably considering injuries around him) “You’re assessing what you’re doing at that time. One of the things, ‘Have we had a lot of injuries?’ You bet. That brings up a good point because the number one thing we can’t do in our organization right now is we can’t sit here and move forward saying, ‘Well if this guy comes back or that guy comes back…if this guy makes it back for OTAs.’ We can’t operate like that. I think we’ve made some mistakes this past year by counting on some situations that didn’t pan out. We can’t do that, we’ve got to move forward if some of these guys that are injured have been out, if they make it back and they’re on that field and we’re better because of that then that’s a bonus. But we can’t operate like that anymore. We won’t get better if we continue to hold off or wait for some of those things to develop. You can’t operate that way. It’s just like during the season when you’ve got guys hurt you can’t sit there and moan about it, you’ve got to go to the next guy and you got to make him play good. You’ve got to find a way to be successful. For us, me and (general manager) Rick (Smith), in operating with this organization that’s not going to be part of the process anymore, we’re going to move forward. Hopefully those guys that are beat up and have missed time and they do make us better, but we’ve got to move forward.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2007   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
DD states

I think you need to start calling him "DW" or come up with a new nickname.
Old 01-02-2007   #9
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre View Post
I think you need to start calling him "DW" or come up with a new nickname.
"DW" it is............
Old 01-02-2007   #10
coachdent
Veteran

DD has been "near" 100% for sometime now.

In terms of the Kubes' quote, I would tend to look at that as a backhanded admission of missing on Rggie Bush. Had it been clear that DD was not going to have a prayer at playing a down this year, I think Bush would have been a Texan. It is difficult to argue why he wouldn't have been one.

Water under the bridge to be sure and I think Mario is going to have a fine career. But what it does tell me is that the selection of Adrian Peterson becomes that much more likely. Because banking on DD returning 100% does seem to be a crapshoot at best right now.
Old 01-02-2007   #11
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post
DD has been "near" 100% for sometime now.

In terms of the Kubes' quote, I would tend to look at that as a backhanded admission of missing on Rggie Bush. Had it been clear that DD was not going to have a prayer at playing a down this year, I think Bush would have been a Texan. It is difficult to argue why he wouldn't have been one.

Water under the bridge to be sure and I think Mario is going to have a fine career. But what it does tell me is that the selection of Adrian Peterson becomes that much more likely. Because banking on DD returning 100% does seem to be a crapshoot at best right now.
Taking Peterson wouldn't be a bad thing but do you think he'll still be on the board with the 8th pick?
Old 01-02-2007   #12
Homer
Rookie

Quote:
Taking Peterson wouldn't be a bad thing but do you think he'll still be on the board with the 8th pick?
If some teams do like we did last year....
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's a lot of time between now and then. A lot of things could happen. AP could fall to us and we could decide not to take him because of something that shows up in a physical or during the combine. Stranger things have happened.

That's why I'm hesitant to start saying who we should and shouldn't take this far away from April. Last year at this time, I wouldn't have believed that Demeco Ryans was going to fall out of the first 15 picks let alone to the 2nd round.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #14
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"DW" it is............
umm D dub or D dubyah
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #15
coachdent
Veteran

Quote:

Oakland - Quinn
Detroit - Already have Jones (Joe Thomas?)
Cleveland - Looking at major DLine needs. (Branch DT from Mich.?)
Tampa - Have a Caddy (Adams from Clemson? or Calvin Johnson)
Arizona - James..no way. Need CB help..Cason from Arizona
Washington - RB not a need here either
Minnesota - OL, QB and WR.

I could definitely see him dropping to us. Nice too because he would not cost us as much if we were up there at 3 or 4.
Old 01-02-2007   #16
shansmacker
Rookie

I love A.P.at 8 if he's there.I think he is a much better pro prospect than R.B.In fact i think he'll be the class of the dreft.
shansmacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Peterson at 8 would be a huge value pick. Lynch at 8 would be about proper value for the spot IMO. Both would/could be playmakers on the offense.

Coach, what do you think of Lynch at our spot?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #18
WillyP
Rookie

Quote:
That doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, IMO. It's certainly possible that Peterson could slip to eight if Cleveland elects to draft for defense and stick with Reuben Droughns.

Oakland has to take a QB. Detroit will probably draft Joe Thomas or a DE. Tampa Bay, Arizona, and Washington are all set at running back. Minnesota signed Chester Taylor last year and he excelled behind their behemoth offensive line.

If he gets that far, he's there for the Texans to take.
WillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #19
coachdent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Peterson at 8 would be a huge value pick. Lynch at 8 would be about proper value for the spot IMO. Both would/could be playmakers on the offense.

Coach, what do you think of Lynch at our spot?
I like Lynch a lot. He would also be another great pick. Had he declared yet?

Lynch is quicker than Peterson, but not as fast. Reminds me a bit of Tomlinson. In some ways, he may be a better pro than Peterson because of the durability issues.
Old 01-02-2007   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read