Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2007   #1
touttail
All Pro

Default Mario's Plantar Fasciitis

Check this out on Mario's foot injury.
More seious than I thought. You would think with foot pain it wouldn't be a big deal, until I read he couldn't hardly take the first step in the morning.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...pcategory=Foot

Bobby 119C

Last edited by touttail; 01-02-2007 at 08:32 AM.
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #2
NFLforher
All Pro

Default Re: Mario's Plantar Fasciitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail View Post
Check this out on Mario's foot injury.
More seious than I thought. You would think with foot pain it wouldn't be a big deal, until I read he couldn't hardly take the first step in the morning.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...pcategory=Foot

Bobby 119C

I've had it. It's very painful.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Plantar Fasciitis is EXTREMELY painful. My wife could barely walk when she had it... and this is a woman who skiied down a mountain with a broken leg and then refused to go to the emergency room because it was her night to cook.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #4
real

I've never had it, but I always imagined it was pretty painful....And Mario being a 300 pound defensive lineman that has to push off of it every play can't make it any easier...
Old 01-02-2007   #5
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Plantar Fasciitis is EXTREMELY painful. My wife could barely walk when she had it... and this is a woman who skiied down a mountain with a broken leg and then refused to go to the emergency room because it was her night to cook.
Now that is one tuff one " sorry hun I can't go to the emergency room it is my turn to cook I will rub some dirt on it" you have to admire that.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughnecks View Post
Now that is one tuff one " sorry hun I can't go to the emergency room it is my turn to cook I will rub some dirt on it" you have to admire that.
Red heads from West Texas. What cha gonna do?

Of course, I sprained my ankle on a double diamond, ripped all the skin off my forehead, and had to get carted down by the ski patrol (and the ski patrol guys crashed coming to get me) and I will never hear the end of it.
Old 01-02-2007   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
She sounds completely insane!
Old 01-02-2007   #8
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Would she be available for passing situations next season?

Seriously, what is the length of recovery? Will he require surgery?
Old 01-02-2007   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this basically a one time thing?? Or is it something that is usually reacurring?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #10
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Is this basically a one time thing?? Or is it something that is usually reacurring?
Well the article says rest is the most effective "cure" for this ailment, but also says it can be chronic if someone doesn't get rest on it. Hopefully the offseason will be enough time for Mario to heal.....it says 2-3 months of rest and some exercises will help. Surgery is a last option, so that's good.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
My experience with it is that if you can rest up and let it heal, you're done with it. But that's just 1 data point and might not be representative.
Old 01-03-2007   #12
CoogBull
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CoogBull

I was told by a doctor friend of mine that this type of injury is common in big guys like Mario. He said it will heal as long as he rests and gets some good shoes. He also said that weight loss can help. I doubt this will be an option. Mario is a big man and I hate to see him have to slim down if it costs him in the power department. If there is an increase in speed perhaps it might be a good thing though.

I hear it is really painful and the fact that he played through the pain is admirable. I knew a guy who played an entire high school season on a broken foot so I have seen things like this before.

Earlier in the season I heard some rumors that he had a foot injury that was career ending. Glad to hear that it will not turn out like that.

Mario is a beast.

CoogBull - A man for all seasons.
CoogBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #13
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

As has been posted by others, the best thing for this type of injury is rest. Pure, unencumbered rest. If Mario can take a couple of weeks and just relax, like on a beach somewhere, that would be a great way to start things. We're not talking about merely walking down a hall in your house, we're talking about not having to do seriously strenuous work, especially trying to practice and then play on Sundays.

The big things is getting this out the way in time for the next training camp, so that he can really work on his speed and technique on the NFL level.
Old 01-03-2007   #14
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
She sounds completely insane!
UHHH, I'll second that!!!!!
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #15
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Man, let me get this straight. You mean she broke her leg and you didn't offer to give her the night off from cooking? What kind of a husband are you?...LOL.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

My wife and father-in-law both have it, and they tell me it's extremely painful. He said surgery is an option, but the doctors advised him that rehab is around a year. I doubt Mario would even consider surgery if this is the case.

I feel for the big dude. He's had quite a year, both good and bad. Hopefully he rests the foot and it heals properly, because I know he's going to be ready to hit TC and take the league by storm in his second year.
Old 01-03-2007   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

My concern is the amount of time he spent playing after the injury was diagnoised. What I hope is they have not made a healable injury a chronic one. DD played his heart out for us and you see the end result. Sometimes being macho is not the best thing in the world.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan View Post
Man, let me get this straight. You mean she broke her leg and you didn't offer to give her the night off from cooking? What kind of a husband are you?...LOL.

"WOMAN!!! GET IN THAT KITCHEN AND MAKE ME SOME FOOD!!!"

And... uh... no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying she broke her leg and when we* told her that she didn't have to cook, she told us that there wasn't a way in hell that she wasn't cooking that night. And I'm not telling a redhead that's been drinking to dull the pain and is waving a knife around that she's not cooking.

Especially when she's a really good cook.

* It was a tradition for us to go skiing with some people that used to work for her. And 3 of the women, including my wife, were foodies and put a lot of time and effort into coming up with recipes that were going to knock everyone's socks off. It was her night to cook and she was going to cook come hell or high water... or a broken leg. She's got this thing about being perceived as a wimp and she thought her leg was just "a little sprained."
Old 01-03-2007   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My wife had the surgery a couple years before we married. She is non-athletic and recovery to normal activity was 2 months. For her, managing the pain became impossible. The mornings were the worst. More than having movement restricted by the injury, she just had no desire to try to do anything on her feet.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #20
Tigerjag
Rookie

I have this too. For me, it's chronic. To keep the severe pain at bay, I do stretching exercises. When it gets bad, not only do your feet hurt, but ankles and calves too. I thought I had sprained my ankle when I was diagnosed with it.

If Mario can get enough rest, it will be much better. Then he'll have to have good arch supports in every pair of shoes he wears and do stretches every morning and night to prevent it from happening again. Weight loss does help, but that's probably not an option for him.

Mornings are very bad! But it's also painful after sitting for awhile and then getting up, no matter what time of day.
Tigerjag is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read