Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2007   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Texans start searching for playmakers / Players hope time isn't up

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4438324.html

Quote:
"I know that's a big topic right now, and all I can tell you is that David's going to be evaluated like every other player," Kubiak said. "You don't make quick decisions on players in this league. You make those decisions with a lot of people's opinions.

"As we re-evaluate our cutups and watch our film, you get every coach's opinion. I want to hear what they say. That's going to take some time with everybody, including him, and then we'll decide where we're going next."
Quote:
"You've got to look at your options," Kubiak said. "You might be staring at the best option if you just coach a little better and work a little harder."

The Carr decision is paramount because Kubiak has a specific goal in mind for the offense during the offseason.

"We've got to find some playmakers," he said. "We have got to find a way to make some big plays. It's so hard to just march 3 and 4 yards a play.

"We didn't score enough points, either. Somehow, we've got to find guys
that can make big plays and score points, because we definitely didn't do that this year."
Quote:
"We've got to find a way to put some pressure on some people," Kubiak said. "That's the one glaring thing I've been looking at when looking at where we made progress and where we didn't do so well.

"We've got to figure out a way to pressure the quarterback. You've got to be able to do that with four guys in this league. If you're having to dial up zone blitzes week in and week out, you're going to get burned. That's a big point of emphasis in the offseason."
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4438323.html

Quote:
Right before David Carr cleaned out his locker at Reliant Stadium on Monday, he met with Texans general manager Rick Smith and former offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun. In the next few days, Carr will sit down with coach Gary Kubiak.

At this point, Carr has received every indication he will return to the team. Yet as he left the stadium with a bag of possessions, Carr wondered if that same locker would be waiting for him next fall.

"I love these guys," said Carr, who has two years remaining on his contract. "I think they're moving in the right direction. I think we're going to win some football games here. I think they're going to eventually win a Super Bowl here. I'd like to be a part of that."
Quote:
A handful of veterans left the stadium in limbo, however, as did a number of unrestricted free agents such as running back Ron Dayne, defensive linemen Antwan Peek and N.D. Kalu, punter Chad Stanley, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and tight end Mark Bruener.
Quote:
Stanley tied the Titans' Craig Hentrich to lead the NFL with 24 fair catches, but he lacked consistency overall this season. Stanley, like Carr, has been with the Texans since their inaugural season, and he is hoping his struggles this year don't keep him from returning.

"I had probably five games where I really did not come to play," Stanley said. "The majority of those games were on the road, so I have to find out why that is.

"We did some good things this year, though, and we're definitely on the right road."

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em

Last edited by Texans34Life; 01-02-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #2
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Re: Chronic: Texans start searching for playmakers / Players hope time isn't up

Quoting the article:
When the Texans were healthy, they had three defensive linemen who were first-round picks Mario Williams, Travis Johnson and Jason Babin. They might use the eighth pick in this year's draft on a pass rusher. The Texans finished with 28 sacks. Only four teams had fewer.

It seems to me, with 3 first round picks on the D Line, the Texans should be good now......but the thought of having an "off the hook" pass rusher would be sweet ! Obviously, with injuries being an issue, depth on the D Line is another angle the team needs to address.
Old 01-02-2007   #3
jayjordan
Rookie

Default Re: Chronic: Texans start searching for playmakers / Players hope time isn't up

Kubiak mentioned that they dont score enough and they have to pressure the quaterback more.With this draft they have to focus on one or the other.But my question is why are they so focused on defense? You may stop a team from scoring 30pts. and lets say they score 20pts. we still cant score. If we cant find the end zone what good is a great defense.
jayjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #4
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjordan View Post
Kubiak mentioned that they dont score enough and they have to pressure the quaterback more.With this draft they have to focus on one or the other.But my question is why are they so focused on defense? You may stop a team from scoring 30pts. and lets say they score 20pts. we still cant score. If we cant find the end zone what good is a great defense.
Good defenses can greatly improve field position.

And yes they can actually score too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #5
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what the meeeting was about!
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjordan View Post
I'm mean, are u being serious? we may not be a 20 point scoring team but a great defense can change field position, score for you & can get the ball back for your offense thereby creating MORE opportunities for offense.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #7
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

There is still a lot of work to do, and a lot of speculation can be done between now and April. It will be an interesting draft because the Texans still have holes to fill, but less than last year (i.e., even at worst, they don't need two tackles).
Old 01-02-2007   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed the last line of the article.

Quoting Bob McNair, "Rick doesn't act like he's got all the answers, either. He also listens to others. And he's very thorough."

Charlie Casserly acted like he had all the answers and I'm sure we all recall hearing about how the Texans hadn't done thier homework on Phillip Buchanon before handing those picks to Oakland for him.

It sounds to me like Rick Smith knows how to keep Bob McNair happy.
Old 01-02-2007   #9
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
Quoting the article:
When the Texans were healthy, they had three defensive linemen who were first-round picks Mario Williams, Travis Johnson and Jason Babin. They might use the eighth pick in this year's draft on a pass rusher. The Texans finished with 28 sacks. Only four teams had fewer.

It seems to me, with 3 first round picks on the D Line, the Texans should be good now......but the thought of having an "off the hook" pass rusher would be sweet ! Obviously, with injuries being an issue, depth on the D Line is another angle the team needs to address.

Isnt that what Mario Williams was supposed to be?
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #10
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenches View Post
Isnt that what Mario Williams was supposed to be?
No, I think his mission is to beat Payton Manning, at least that is what I believe I heard McNair say.
Old 01-02-2007   #11
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
No, I think his mission is to beat Payton Manning, at least that is what I believe I heard McNair say.
mission accomplished. now who will they draft to help beat Vince Young for the next 15 years???
Old 01-02-2007   #12
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
mission accomplished. now who will they draft to help beat Vince Young for the next 15 years???
since we blew that one we are gonna wait untill he's out of the league then make our move.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling that by the comments that Kubes said, they are not going to draft a safety in the first like so many want. I think he's leaning toward a pash rusher again or an offensive player, probably RB or QB. That's just my guess.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
I have a feeling that by the comments that Kubes said, they are not going to draft a safety in the first like so many want. I think he's leaning toward a pash rusher again or an offensive player, probably RB or QB. That's just my guess.
i cant believe he hasnt mentioned the o-line.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I just hope its not Ted Ginn Jr.

I have a feeling its either Peterson or Lynch
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I just hope its not Ted Ginn Jr.

I have a feeling its either Peterson or Lynch
I think it's gonna be one of the following:

ADrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Jemarcus Russel
Gaines adams
Dwayne Jarret..
Old 01-02-2007   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I know you can't turn back time but I am just shaking my head at what I'm reading. The last draft was loaded with playmakers, guys who can help the offense and score from all parts of the field yet we passed on them for pass rush. Now we are saying that last years draft didn't fix it so we need to draft it again. Great logic this year if we had taken playmakers last year in the first round.

Also, what would a meeting with Carr produce?He is going to say, "I love the team and want to stay." I mean they pay him a ton to do nothing. The team will tell him that they are liking his progress. They both will say what is best for them.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #18
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post

they need playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball. they need somebody that strikes fear into the hearts of receivers or QB's. a guy in the secondary that is either a huge hitter or a ballhawk that is a threat to take it the distance on an INT.

If Dom Davis, er, Williams comes back then RB may not be a position they have to address. Hopefully, they realize that the QB that is there now is NOT a playmaker and the offense will never get off the training wheels with him running the show.
Old 01-02-2007   #19
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I know you can't turn back time but I am just shaking my head at what I'm reading. The last draft was loaded with playmakers, guys who can help the offense and score from all parts of the field yet we passed on them for pass rush. Now we are saying that last years draft didn't fix it so we need to draft it again. Great logic this year if we had taken playmakers last year in the first round.
Well, Mario is supposed to be getting 10-12 sacks. He was a rookie that was hurt, but hopefully he can turn it around.
Old 01-02-2007   #20
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
they need playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball. they need somebody that strikes fear into the hearts of receivers or QB's. a guy in the secondary that is either a huge hitter or a ballhawk that is a threat to take it the distance on an INT.

If Dom Davis, er, Williams comes back then RB may not be a position they have to address. Hopefully, they realize that the QB that is there now is NOT a playmaker and the offense will never get off the training wheels with him running the show.
Well, we are going to have to change QB's. Carr is not the answer. And don't tell me sage, cause he is not the long term soution. So who do you want, Jake Plummer? There is not alot of options. If we draft a rokkie next year, he's gonna have to be on training wheels also.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read