Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2007   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Watch Texans Insider film clip

http://www.houstontexans.com/insider...xans%20Insider

I would like you to watch the sack of Carr. I think this gives us a view all of us can look at and you can stop the motion and look at it. I watched the LT(74) allowed his man to beat him by going to his front where the QB is stepping up to throw the ball. In addition the LT immediately moves back to Carr's position literally to begin the block. The guy reaches Carr's position about the same time Carr does. If you look closely you will see another defender has beat his man OG(69) and is bearing down on the QB but is picked up by McKinney the center at the last second. Meanwhile 69 moves down the field to block someone. There is no pressure from the right side of the line.

On the previous offensive series by the Brown's you see the QB step up into the pocket to throw the ball. We intercept it, but the point is he has a pocket to step up into and throw the ball. Carr doesn't have that and he hasn't had that all along. The left side of the line has been a big problem for us for a long time. That particular play is classic Texans O-line play.

I would love to know what you guys think of this sack. You may have a different take on it, but I think it gives us all a chance to look at a common reference point.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Watch Texans Insider film clip

Feel the pressure coming and slide your feet to the right where there was no defender nearby. Is that asking too much of a franchise QB?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Feel the pressure coming and slide your feet to the right where there was no defender nearby. Is that asking too much of a franchise QB?
Exactly. We saw Sage do this plenty when he played.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #4
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry View Post

I would like you to watch the sack of Carr. I think this gives us a view all of us can look at and you can stop the motion and look at it. I watched the LT(74) allowed his man to beat him by going to his front where the QB is stepping up to throw the ball. In addition the LT immediately moves back to Carr's position literally to begin the block. The guy reaches Carr's position about the same time Carr does. If you look closely you will see another defender has beat his man OG(69) and is bearing down on the QB but is picked up by McKinney the center at the last second. Meanwhile 69 moves down the field to block someone. There is no pressure from the right side of the line.

On the previous offensive series by the Brown's you see the QB step up into the pocket to throw the ball. We intercept it, but the point is he has a pocket to step up into and throw the ball. Carr doesn't have that and he hasn't had that all along. The left side of the line has been a big problem for us for a long time. That particular play is classic Texans O-line play.

I would love to know what you guys think of this sack. You may have a different take on it, but I think it gives us all a chance to look at a common reference point.
Pretty good example of the pass protection problems of the last few years. It's true Carr doesn't show good pocket presence but that is to be expected when he has rarely seen a true pocket.
Old 01-01-2007   #5
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPIMP View Post
Pretty good example of the pass protection problems of the last few years. It's true Carr doesn't show good pocket presence but that is to be expected when he has rarely seen a true pocket.
He needs to spend his offseason with Matt Leinart and Tony Romo, they could teach him a thing or two about being successful behind bad offensive lines.
Old 01-01-2007   #6
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Exactly. We saw Sage do this plenty when he played.
Sage did show good pocket presence when he played in Tenn. But he took a beating. Those beating's take a toll and change a QB over time.
Old 01-01-2007   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Maybe Carr should be sent to a psychiatrist like Boise State did with Zibransky.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2007   #8
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
He needs to spend his offseason with Matt Leinart and Tony Romo, they could teach him a thing or two about being successful behind bad offensive lines.
Good examples of what happens when you the QB get's hit too much. They both played poorly in their last two games.
Old 01-01-2007   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good examples of what happens when you the QB get's hit too much. They both played poorly in their last two games.
Poorly, but still much, much better than Carr. Carr is redefining the term "playing poorly" this year. It's really hard to compare his games to other QB's.
Old 01-01-2007   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sage did show good pocket presence when he played in Tenn. But he took a beating. Those beating's take a toll and change a QB over time.
He showed it in preseason also. Every NFL QB gets hit, it's time to stop using it as an excuse for Carr.
Old 01-01-2007   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45895 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam just got beat. He was bull rushed and he lost his leverage. Carr has to assume that the tackle will hold his man or take him outside so Carr can step up and avoid the sack. Carr did exactly what you are suppose to do, how did he know that his tackle was going to break the cardinal rule and let his man beat him to the inside and collapse the pocket. This has been a big problem all year. Carr is unable to get a 5 or 7 step drop w/o a pass rush being on top of him. That's why Kubiak has called for so many 3 step drops and short passes. Carr also couldn't work from the shotgun because of problems with the center snap. There are many Carr detractors who will say this bull but the fact is this is what he had to work with.

So for the Carr detractors, I will give you this, to many times when Carr has found himself in this position he has put the ball on the ground instead of taking care of the football. This is where Carr got careless and it deminished his ability to manage the game. If a RB had fumbled as many times as Carr he would probably be riding the pine. As often as pass protection failed, Carr should be more aware about taking care of the football. I think this is where Kubiak gets exasperated with Carr.

Last edited by Texian; 01-01-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #12
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Maybe Carr should be sent to a psychiatrist like Boise State did with Zibransky.
When the play-by-play guys said that the same thought went through my head. LOL
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Thanks to all that looked at the video and responded. Again, I thought this part of the video really showed how it is on the field. Again, when I look at the pocket being formed by the Browns, it appears to be on both sides of the QB. On many occasions I believe we see it only on the left side of the QB with respect to the Texans. Am I wrong about that?
Old 01-01-2007   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

imo the brown qb steps up in the pocket and gets rid off the ball before the presure actually gets to him.

the guy from the browns beats our lt to the inside(something that shouldnt happen) carr cant step up our move to the right the guy is in his face.

our ends gets pushed behind the qb like they should. their end beats our lt to the inside. you say their guy at least got rid of it for an int. i would rather carr take the sack.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
imo the brown qb steps up in the pocket and gets rid off the ball before the presure actually gets to him.

the guy from the browns beats our lt to the inside(something that shouldnt happen) carr cant step up our move to the right the guy is in his face.

our ends gets pushed behind the qb like they should. their end beats our lt to the inside. you say their guy at least got rid of it for an int. i would rather carr take the sack.
I wasn't commenting that Carr should throw and INT. I was just stating there was a pocket for the Brown's QB to throw from, but not Carr. A pocket doesn't quarrantee a pass completion, but there is a greater probability that something good will happen if the QB has time.

How many people have commented on this board that we get beat defensively because we never put enough pressure on the opposition's QB. If that's the case and that's what you want to do, then why don't the Texans get more pressure on the opposing QB and reduce the pressure on our QB. Its a simple suggestion, but I guess not easily implimented.
Old 01-02-2007   #16
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasn't commenting that Carr should throw and INT. I was just stating there was a pocket for the Brown's QB to throw from, but not Carr. A pocket doesn't quarrantee a pass completion, but there is a greater probability that something good will happen if the QB has time.

How many people have commented on this board that we get beat defensively because we never put enough pressure on the opposition's QB. If that's the case and that's what you want to do, then why don't the Texans get more pressure on the opposing QB and reduce the pressure on our QB. Its a simple suggestion, but I guess not easily implimented.
i think we saw the same thing i just misinterperated you.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read