Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2007   #1
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Question Texan Field Conditions

This use to be a hot topic but I have really not seen anything about it this year.

It appears to me somewhere about October the field was overseeded with Rye grass to keep it green for the winter months. Ever since then the field has been exceedingly slick making the players look like Gulf Coast Texans driving on frozen highways. The slighest attempt to cut back and their feet slide right out from under them.

I first noticed this in the High School playoffs in which the field had a significant impact on the game. There is no way to run full out one way and try to cut back, your feet go right out from under you.

The most obvious slips from yesterday were the Texans first pass (fiirst play ?) Andre fell down coming out of his cut. Don't know if you could see this on TV. Most probably just counted it as a bad pass.

The other was at the end of the game on Carr's bootleg.

There were plenty of others in between. I remember Faggins slipping badly on one of the Tennessee touchdown runs.

Anybody else notice how horrible it has been ?

Is it really necessary to overseed with Rye grass when you have a roof to protect the Bermuda from freezes and should be able to keep it acceptably green during the year ?

With the way the field has been at least one double reverse a game should have been called. Several defensive players would fall down just from trying to change directions.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #2
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan Field Conditions

I noticed this over the last couple of games. This is my first season w/ tickets so I don't know what it was like in previous years.

Yesterday I was looking at the field even before the game started. There were numerous "divots" all over the place!

Did you see Brown on one of our (maybe our final) kickoffs? He totally slipped and fell on his arse as he kicked it!
Old 01-01-2007   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

The field looks horrible and it has caused noticeable problems for players and teams. Yesterday there wasn't much slipping probably because the roof was opened but there were too many players loosing their footing the last couple of weeks. They should seriously consider replacing this with something better. Not only does it look ugly and terrible but one slip can cause a game to turn. I hope they switch next year to that fake grass or whatever it is they use like in Dallas. Or get a new groundskeeper who can do a better job.
Old 01-01-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

December grass is bad everywhere....I'm looking at my bad grass out the window right now. It's the season for bad grass.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

The Titan's field is a complete embarassment to the league. It makes Philly's old field look like a rolling meadow.

Bud should be embarassed by the state of his field. Our field isnt the greatest but its a helluva a lot better than most non-field turf fields. I feel they should switch to Field Turf myself....
Old 01-01-2007   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The turf conditions - in terms of footing - were better at Denver and Chicago last night than they were in Houston. It's inexcusible. And yes, I've noticed.

They were slipping all over the place during the Rutgers - K State game Thursday night, and it was just as bad yesterday. Field conditions shouldn't be a factor in a stadium where the roof can be opened or closed to optimize the playing environment. There's just not enough drying this time of year. Only the extreme north end sees any sun now - and only for a few hours per day.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #7
TexanLen
Veteran

It's frustrating to see a play made or not played due to a player slipping on a bad field. I would love to switch to field turf. It will make the field of play better IMO.:bananasplit:

Adopt a Texan... Can it be a cheerleader?!!!
TexanLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read