Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2007   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Andre Johnson ranked #1

Not a good stat to be the winner in:
Quote:
AFC Leaders: Passes Dropped (Thru Dec. 31, 2006)

Rank Player Team Stats
1 Andre Johnson Hou 11
2t Chris Chambers Mia 8
2t Braylon Edwards Cle 8
2t Randy McMichael Mia 8
2t Randy Moss Oak 8
2t Reggie Williams Jac 8
7t Marvin Harrison Ind 7
7t Dennis Northcutt Cle 7
7t Reggie Wayne Ind 7
10t Jerricho Cotchery NYJ 6
10t Benjamin Watson NE 6
12t Derek Hagan Mia 5
12t Chris Henry Cin 5
12t Chad Johnson Cin 5
12t Larry Johnson KC 5
12t Brandon Jones Ten 5
12t Matt Jones Jac 5
12t Javon Walker Den 5
12t George Wrighster Jac 5
20t Courtney Anderson Oak 4
20t Drew Bennett Ten 4
20t Marty Booker Mia 4
20t Mark Clayton Bal 4
20t Antonio Gates SD 4
20t Chad Jackson NE 4
20t Eddie Kennison KC 4
20t Laurence Maroney NE 4
20t LaDainian Tomlinson SD 4
20t Ben Troupe Ten 4
20t Nate Washington Pit 4
20t Wes Welker Mia 4
20t Alvis Whitted Oak 4
20t Cedrick Wilson Pit 4
20t Kellen Winslow Cle 4
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/l...iving&rank=232
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #2
Texanator14
Rookie

Default Re: Andre Johnson ranked #1

He's probably been targeted more than the other receivers.
Texanator14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #3
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, T.O. is actually #1 (for the entire NFL).
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator14 View Post
He's probably been targeted more than the other receivers.
I notice he has a ton more receptions than most of the players on that list too. Stats alone with no context are no good for anything. He will drop some passes but he also catches a ton of passes underneath the linebacker drops...I'm not sure any primary WR in the NFL catches as many passes with linebackers in his face due to the inordinate amount of short passes that we are forced to watch in this offense that has no intermediate passing game (this means larger and more physical men are hitting Andre on a regular basis as opposed to smaller secondary guys). Andre seems to have to stop a lot to catch many of his balls.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #5
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
To be fair, T.O. is actually #1 (for the entire NFL).
Yes, indeed. Talk about a $25M drop? But, as most of you know, I agree with Joe Thiesman. T.O. is a bum and shouldn't be playing professional football.
Old 01-01-2007   #6
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe that. I seen Bennett from the Titans drop 3 yesterday.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I notice he has a ton more receptions than most of the players on that list too. Stats alone with no context are no good for anything. He will drop some passes but he also catches a ton of passes underneath the linebacker drops...I'm not sure any primary WR in the NFL catches as many passes with linebackers in his face due to the inordinate amount of short passes that we are forced to watch in this offense that has no intermediate passing game (this means larger and more physical men are hitting Andre on a regular basis as opposed to smaller secondary guys). Andre seems to have to stop a lot to catch many of his balls.
That is a good point though I've always felt Andre drops a few too many balls. It is useful however to put the stat into context; I wonder if anyone has access to drops per receptions, or drops per times thrown at? My guess would be that AJ is still highly ranked in that category.

I'm not sure exactly how drops are calculated here statistically -- i.e. does the ball need to hit him in the fingertips? If it was a bad throw that the WR still got his hands on, is it still a drop? I've seen AJ drop what I considered to be some gimmes (and occasionally at crucial times) but knowing that all WRs drop balls at one time or another, I'm not sure what is a reasonable expectation, statistically speaking.
Old 01-01-2007   #8
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea what is the ratio of drops to passes thrown to I would think it would be pretty good. Besides drops are part of the game AJ is at this point the besi player on offense. Ask yourself would I want AJ with his 11 drops or TO and his ego I take AJ.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #9
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the list you should have used:

NFL Leaders: Passes Dropped (Thru Dec. 31, 2006)
RankPlayerTeamStats1Terrell OwensDal172t Darrell JacksonSea112t Andre JohnsonHou112t Troy WilliamsonMin115Steve SmithCar106Reggie BrownPhi97t Reggie BushNO87t Chris ChambersMia87t Braylon EdwardsCle87t Bubba FranksGB87t Devery HendersonNO87t Randy McMichaelMia87t Randy MossOak87t Reggie WilliamsJac815t Alge CrumplerAtl715t Donald DriverGB715t Joey GallowayTB715t Ahman GreenGB715t Marvin HarrisonInd715t Dennis NorthcuttCle715t Reggie WayneInd715t Roddy WhiteAtl7
Old 01-01-2007   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing we didn't know about AJ. He drops more than he should, but he also makes some catches that he shouldn't. Seems to have, dare I say it, a bit of Cory Bradford in him. Makes the jaw dropping circus catch and will drop the easy, in the hands ones at times. Just part of the package and you hope the drops don't come at really bad times.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Comparing Andre Johnson and Cory Bradford is kinda ridiculous...no offense Ed. Bradford was never even a reliable WR2 in this league.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to drag David Carr into it, but the passing game.

Notice how the top droppers don't have a great QB situation?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #13
MrMeToo
All Pro

Quote:
I agree.But was this thread really needed.Andre is a great player and a pro bowler.He didn't drop any passes in the last 2 games and made a clutch catch in the Colts game which is a knock on him.
Old 01-01-2007   #14
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeToo View Post
I agree.But was this thread really needed.Andre is a great player and a pro bowler.He didn't drop any passes in the last 2 games and made a clutch catch in the Colts game which is a knock on him.

All his catches were in garbage time though lol

Old 01-01-2007   #15
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeToo View Post
He didn't drop any passes in the last 2 games and made a clutch catch in the Colts game which is a knock on him.
I watched him clank one off his chest yesterday.
Old 01-01-2007   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Comparing Andre Johnson and Cory Bradford is kinda ridiculous...no offense Ed. Bradford was never even a reliable WR2 in this league.
Oh I know that. Just comparing the make the hard and drop the easy thing. Bradford can't hold AJs jock strap, but they both have the propensity to make the triple back flip with a half twist one hand grab and then turn around and drop one that hits them in the hands. Bradford much more than AJ, but they both have done it.

De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by edo783; 01-01-2007 at 01:45 PM.
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #17
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I mean what is the point of this thread really? So are you telling me you want to get rid of AJ?

Be happy we have a player of his quality. I think he's doing great for how predictable our offense usually is.
Old 01-01-2007   #18
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
I mean what is the point of this thread really? So are you telling me you want to get rid of AJ?
Absolutely not. But is it not ok to critique players?
Carr has been taken to get hung, yet other players get a free pass? There would be an 8 page thread if carr lead the leauge in interceptions.

AJ dropped passes. It needs to be addressed.
Old 01-01-2007   #19
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I'm hearing here at home that someone does keep stats on the percentage of dropped passes (versus time thrown to). I would like to see those stats.
Old 01-01-2007   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Stat doesn't mean much to me really. Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison (two probowlers with a future HOF QB) both have 7.

We all know he drops more passes than we would like but so do the other receivers that made it to the Pro Bowl.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read