Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-01-2007   #1
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default Anyone opposed of Meriweather? Big post inside

I was thinking...why not go with revis, who fills an obvious need at CB, and wait and see if meriweather is there in the 2nd? If not, no big deal, we just pick the next guy on our list. If so, great. Kill 2 big birds in the same draft so we can save money to address other needs in FA. Maybe sign an OL or SLB.

1-CB Darrelle Revis (Pitt)
2-FS Brandon Meriweather (Miami)
3-DT Kareem Brown (Miami)
4-BPA @ OL

FA-Sign SLB Adalius Thomas
Hope Spencer is healthy

Now that would be a killer defense.
CB-Dunta and Revis
S-Meriweather and Earl
LB-Greenwood/Ryans/Thomas
DL-Travis Johnson and Kareem Brown
DE-Weaver and Mario with Peek/Babin as subs

Granted, we didn't do anything to upgrade our offense, but maybe a year of experience for our OL will do some good and a healthy Spencer could really help. I think Taylor/Dane at RB should be fine. Also hope Carr can improve after a year under Kubiak. A healthy Mathis could also do wonders.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #2
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default Re: Anyone opposed of Meriweather? Big post inside

Also, we'd be better off waiting til 08 for a QB if we decide to get rid of Carr. Brohm and Russell may stay in school, and Henne and Brennan are going to be there as well.
Old 01-01-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

His actions this year may land him in the second round with the Bengals.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55991 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
Also, we'd be better off waiting til 08 for a QB if we decide to get rid of Carr. Brohm and Russell may stay in school, and Henne and Brennan are going to be there as well.
Isnt Brennan a senior?
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #5
htownfoozball
Veteran

junior. back to the meriweather question!
Old 01-01-2007   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bengals need a safety and character isn't a concern to them. Simple, they get Meriwether in the second or third round.
Old 01-01-2007   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

I think we should wait until 2018 to draft a QB on the first day. Don't want to waste the pick on a backup for Quinton Porter.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Patience grass hopper. Kubes sees someone he likes , I'm sure they'll pull the trigger.
Old 01-01-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Patience grass hopper. Kubes sees someone he likes , I'm sure they'll pull the trigger.
Which brings us to an interesting point. Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak rarely see eye-to-eye on anything, which makes it interesting come draft time, aka, tommorow.
Old 01-01-2007   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

What makes you think there is a fued between Smith and Kubiack ?
Old 01-01-2007   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Not a fued, that's exactly why Smith was hired. Kubiak doesn't want a yes-man.
Old 01-01-2007   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26020 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Merriweather involved in the shootout at the Miami Corral? I am not sure they will bring that character to Houston.
Old 01-01-2007   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Wasn't Merriweather involved in the shootout at the Miami Corral? I am not sure they will bring that character to Houston.
he was involved in a shooting. He returned fire at someone who was shooting at his teammate. the gun was legally registered.
Old 01-01-2007   #14
Cook Thom
Rookie

Free safety is not one of the top three needs to Texans need to solve in the draft. The top three are offensive left tackle, running back, and cornerback. The Texans need to take the best player available at one of these three positions.
Cook Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #15
htownfoozball
Veteran

well, if spencer returns healthy, i think we can scratch off LT. also, the OT crop is weak this year. makes no sense to waste a pick just to fill a need. we also know kubiak wont take a RB early, and taylor has looked good. so scratch that off. we could really build our secondary with revis and meriweather.
Old 01-01-2007   #16
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
I was thinking...why not go with revis, who fills an obvious need at CB, and wait and see if meriweather is there in the 2nd? If not, no big deal, we just pick the next guy on our list. If so, great. Kill 2 big birds in the same draft so we can save money to address other needs in FA. Maybe sign an OL or SLB.

1-CB Darrelle Revis (Pitt)
2-FS Brandon Meriweather (Miami)
3-DT Kareem Brown (Miami)
4-BPA @ OL

FA-Sign SLB Adalius Thomas
Hope Spencer is healthy

Now that would be a killer defense.
CB-Dunta and Revis
S-Meriweather and Earl
LB-Greenwood/Ryans/Thomas
DL-Travis Johnson and Kareem Brown
DE-Weaver and Mario with Peek/Babin as subs

Granted, we didn't do anything to upgrade our offense, but maybe a year of experience for our OL will do some good and a healthy Spencer could really help. I think Taylor/Dane at RB should be fine. Also hope Carr can improve after a year under Kubiak. A healthy Mathis could also do wonders.
I don't see us using all three 1st day picks on defense. While that would really solidify our D I think our offense warrants a couple high picks in there too, plus I'd rather see us get a big DE like Adam Carriker and move Weaver inside to DT rather than leaving Weaver outside and drafting a DT.
Old 01-01-2007   #17
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
HE was the player doing a Haynesworth stomping on a FIU player.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #18
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook Thom View Post
Free safety is not one of the top three needs to Texans need to solve in the draft. The top three are offensive left tackle, running back, and cornerback. The Texans need to take the best player available at one of these three positions.
what games have you been watching? Safety is a HUUUUGE need for this team.

Running back is not a need at all for this team. Dayne and Taylor with Lundy as a backup we'll do us just fine.
Old 01-01-2007   #19
cadahnic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
what games have you been watching? Safety is a HUUUUGE need for this team.

Running back is not a need at all for this team. Dayne and Taylor with Lundy as a backup we'll do us just fine.
I agree that FS is a huge need, but I disagree on Dayne/Taylor/Lundy being sufficient for our offense. That trio will grind out a lot of tough yards and put up respectable box scores but our running game will be pretty mundane and lacking any big plays which will continue to hinder our passing offense unless we upgrade at RB too. I think our biggest needs are:
CB
FS
RB
interior OL
SLB
DE
depth
Old 01-01-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Free Safety is a big enough need that Landry/Nelson will be picked #8 overall.

Cornerback is a big enough need that Revis/Cason/Hall will be picked #8.

Offensive line is beg enough need that Joe Thomas and only Joe Thomas will be picked #8 if available.

Running back is not necessarily that big of need put Peterson/Lynch may be picked #8.

Quarterback is not that big of need to draft at #8 but Quinn/Russell may be thought about.

Wide Receiver is not a need at #8 but Calvin Johnson would be tempting.

Defensive Tackle is not necessarily a need at #8 but Alan Branch could easily be selected if available.

Defensive End is not really a need at #8 but Gaines Adams could be good with Mario. (most unlikely imo)

Linebacker is not necessarily a need at #8. Patrick Willis would team with Demeco great but only in a trade down.

Am I missing anything else?

Back to the main question on Meriweather...!!

Yes and no. With his on field and off field incidents I wouldn't want him on our team. I would like landry/nelson in first, but Meriweather would be a great pick in the 2nd round as a football player.

Much like my thought on Lendale White last year. He has 1st round potential but dropped to the 2nd. We could of picked him up but didn't. He has some character issues as well. (although his issues are not near the calibre as Meriweathers and he didn't drop for those reasons alone.)

I don't see the texans picking Meriweather because of our character. I would be okay with him on the team if and only if he behaved himself. The greatest indication of what will happen in the future is what has happened in the past. and I don't like his past...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read