Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-01-2007   #1
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Default Playoff Predictions

Best time of the year, wish our texans were part of it...but we will have to wait another year... but here we go what are your 2007 playoff predictions?

AFC Wild Card

Jets at Patriots- Jets proved earlier this season that they can win at Foxboro so this isn't as easy as you think it is for the Patriots. However Patriots are at full strength and it is the playoffs and yes Tom Brady and Belichick still are in New England. This will be a close one, but Patriots have more experience, better running game, better defense. Thats what counts in the playoffs.

My Pick: Patriots
Who I will be rooting for: Jets

Chiefs at Colts- Ahh, rematch from the big showdown a few years back when the Chiefs were on fire and the Colts offense was unstoppable. I think the abscence of Edgerin James this season made the Colts a little more pass heavy which puts their own defense on the field longer, that makes their defense more tired and easier to advanve the ball on. Colts have the worst pass defense I have seen in years and at this point I just don't think Peyton can shoot it out because he won't be on the field long enough, considering his defense is going against the second best running back in the league and one of the best run blocking offensive lines.

My Pick: Chiefs
Who I will be rooting for: Colts

NFC Wild Card

Cowboys at Seahawks

Yawn... neither of these teams deserve to be in the playoffs, I really wish we could just throw the Bengals, Titans, or Broncos in this spot, but... thats how the system works so we get to watch the spiraling Cowboys come into town to play the lucky Seahawks. Seahawks take this one just because of pure talent. I believe the loss of Steve Hutchinson really hurt this team, and I am disappointed in Holmgren at this point. He didn't do a very good job molding all this talent together. Shaun Alexander has been somewhat exposed, his offensive line deserved that mvp trophy last year, not really him... but don't get me wrong he is a good back...anyways back to the point, Cowboys offensive line is horrible, their defense is above average, they just can't get it together.

My Pick: Seahawks
Who I will be rooting for: Cowboys

Giants at Eagles

Eagles deserve to be in this, losing their starting quarterback and still playing some good football. Andy Reid did a great job this season, but not as good of a job as Jim Johnson did with that defense. After watching that defense play I would say they are a top 5 unit in the NFL. Jeff Garcia plays with passion and all the young guys on offense around him do just enough to push them to a victory. They will ride emotion and defense in this win. As for the Giants, its a shame Tiki has go out like this... but I don't people should really blame the Giants, they have key injuries on the offensive line which has hurt manning, both their stellar defensive ends are out, there best linebacker is out... full strength I would say this team could make some noise in the NFC... but they aren't.

My Pick: Eagles
Who I will be rooting for: Giants (obviously I am a Manning fan)

AFC Divisional Round

New England at San Diego

Wow... this will be a great matchup. Week bye will help the Chargers out, and they have the best player in the NFL and the best pass rusher...but outside that... I see talent... but not enough. Philip Rivers I don't think will pull through when the pressure is on, and that defense is good, but not great. I think Tom Brady will pull this one off because a good patriots offensive line will keep Merriman away, and a good scheme will CONTAIN LT, and they will pull off a close win.

My Pick: New England
Who I will be rooting for: New England

Chiefs at Ravens

Kind of lopsided matchup for a regional matchup... would be more interesting if Broncos were in, in my opinion. Ravens defense will make LJ wish he had never played running back. Their offense will torch that defense, and the Ravens will pull this one off with ease.

My Pick: Ravens
Who I will be rooting for: Ravens

NFC Regional Matchups

Seattle at Chicago

Great defense and a good run game wins you games. Bears will stop Alexander, and have a good rushing attack to pull off a close win against the former NFC champions.

My Pick: Bears
Who I will be rooting for: Bears

Eagles at Saints

Here is my upset, many weapons on the offense, a pretty good defense, the Saints look in good position. However I think the Eagles play a championship style of defense, and Jeff Garcia knows how to win... Eagles have been down that road, Saints have not.

Who I will be rooting for: Eagles

AFC Championship

New England at Ravens

Tom Brady has been here many times before, but not all of his teamates have. His defense is good but not great like in past, and he doens't have as many weapons like he has in the past, nor the best clutch kicker of all time with him, neither his coordinators. Too much has been stripped of Brady since his last super bowl ring to be able to get another one. The Ravens defense is the best in the league, they have a good rushing attack and a quarterback who has been down that road and knows how to get the job done. Ravens beat the Patriots in this one.

Who I will be rooting for: Ravens

NFC Championship

Eagles at Bears

Two good defenses, one mediocre offense, one above average offense. These two teams aren't the greatest, but they know how to get the job done. I think it will come down to Rex Grossman losing it for the Bears.

Who I will be Rooting for: Bears

SUPER BOWL

Eagles VS Ravens

Ravens win this one...to show that AFC is superior of NFC. Ravens defense shuts out the Eagle offense, and Ravens offense gets the job done.

Ravens are my pick for the super bowl.
Old 01-01-2007   #2
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Playoff Predictions

Nice breakdown. FWIW though, if the Chiefs (being the 6th seed) win their Wildcard game then it would be the Chiefs vs Chargers in the Divisional round and not Chiefs vs Ravens.

There is no real "bracket" set up to say that the winner of this game goes to So-and-so. It's set up so that the number one seed in the conference plays the lowest seed coming out of the Wildcard round, thus rewarding them with the "easiest" road since they earned the #1 seed.

So if the Chiefs win, regardless of what else happens, they have to be the lowest seed and would play at San Diego in the Divisional round.

Happy New Year.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #3
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

1st Round

Pats Jets: PATS

Chiefs Colts: CHIEFS

Girls Seahawks: SEAHAWKS

G-Men Eagles: GIANTS

2nd Round

Chiefs Chargers: CHARGERS

Pats Ravens: RAVENS

Giants Bears: BEARS

Seahawks Saints: SAINTS

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP

Ravens Chargers: RAVENS

In a game with two good defenses the deciding factor will be QB play.
McNair the VET shows the youngster a thing or two. Rivers shows signs of being a "rookie" in the big game.

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

Saints Bears: SAINTS

The Saints offense will take advantage of a out of sync Bears Defense. Not to mention the great field position the Saints will enjoy at times due to turnovers by the Bears QB's. Both looked bad to end the year.

SUPER BOWL

Saints Ravens : RAVENS

Defense wins Championships. The Ravens have one of the best. McNair having tasted defeat before comes out and has one of his best games of his career. Wins MVP
Old 01-01-2007   #4
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

AFC Wild Card
Jets at Patriots-

Chiefs at Colts-
My Pick: Colts

NFC Wild Card

Cowboys at Seahawks

My Pick: Cowboys

Giants at Eagles
Old 01-01-2007   #5
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

As an Eagle fan, I like your thinking. But Sean Payton has always given Jim Johnson problems, especially when he was in New York.
Will be tough to win in N.O., if they get there. Have to get by the Giants first. This is the same D. line that gave up over 200 yards rushing to Tenn. and the Colts.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless the Colts come up with a way to stop the run, LJ will stomp them into the ground and keep Payton off the field. If the Colts can keep LJ reasonably under control they will win, probably walking away, if not.....tough day for them. IMO, it seems that they have more trouble with the bigger backs like LJ.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #7
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Cheifs on that one against the Colts and Chargers to take the Trophy.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2007   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Unless the Colts come up with a way to stop the run, LJ will stomp them into the ground and keep Payton off the field. If the Colts can keep LJ reasonably under control they will win, probably walking away, if not.....tough day for them. IMO, it seems that they have more trouble with the bigger backs like LJ.
I dont see the COlts getting past LJ and the Chiefs. They couldnt stop Ron Dayne and our line, you wont beat LJ and the better line. Lj better rest up this week, he could be in for a trackmeet this weekend.
Old 01-02-2007   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

if the saints win the superbowl, i might become an NFL conspiracy theorist.
Old 01-02-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

AFC Wild Card
Jets at Patriots-

Chiefs at Colts-

NFC Wild Card
Cowboys at Seahawks

Giants at Eagles
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #11
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Kc @ Ind - Kc
Nyj @ Ne - Ne

Dal @ Sea - Dal
Nyg @ Phi - Phi
Old 01-02-2007   #12
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

AFC Wild Card
Jets at Patriots-

Chiefs at Colts-

NFC Wild Card
Cowboys at Seahawks-
My Pick: Cowboys

Giants at Eagles-
Old 01-07-2007   #13
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Review from my first post:

AFC Wild Card

Jets at Patriots- Jets proved earlier this season that they can win at Foxboro so this isn't as easy as you think it is for the Patriots. However Patriots are at full strength and it is the playoffs and yes Tom Brady and Belichick still are in New England. This will be a close one, but Patriots have more experience, better running game, better defense. Thats what counts in the playoffs.

Who I will be rooting for: Jets

Chiefs at Colts- Ahh, rematch from the big showdown a few years back when the Chiefs were on fire and the Colts offense was unstoppable. I think the abscence of Edgerin James this season made the Colts a little more pass heavy which puts their own defense on the field longer, that makes their defense more tired and easier to advanve the ball on. Colts have the worst pass defense I have seen in years and at this point I just don't think Peyton can shoot it out because he won't be on the field long enough, considering his defense is going against the second best running back in the league and one of the best run blocking offensive lines.

NFC Wild Card

Cowboys at Seahawks

Yawn... neither of these teams deserve to be in the playoffs, I really wish we could just throw the Bengals, Titans, or Broncos in this spot, but... thats how the system works so we get to watch the spiraling Cowboys come into town to play the lucky Seahawks. Seahawks take this one just because of pure talent. I believe the loss of Steve Hutchinson really hurt this team, and I am disappointed in Holmgren at this point. He didn't do a very good job molding all this talent together. Shaun Alexander has been somewhat exposed, his offensive line deserved that mvp trophy last year, not really him... but don't get me wrong he is a good back...anyways back to the point, Cowboys offensive line is horrible, their defense is above average, they just can't get it together.

Who I will be rooting for: Cowboys

Giants at Eagles

Eagles deserve to be in this, losing their starting quarterback and still playing some good football. Andy Reid did a great job this season, but not as good of a job as Jim Johnson did with that defense. After watching that defense play I would say they are a top 5 unit in the NFL. Jeff Garcia plays with passion and all the young guys on offense around him do just enough to push them to a victory. They will ride emotion and defense in this win. As for the Giants, its a shame Tiki has go out like this... but I don't people should really blame the Giants, they have key injuries on the offensive line which has hurt manning, both their stellar defensive ends are out, there best linebacker is out... full strength I would say this team could make some noise in the NFC... but they aren't.

Who I will be rooting for: Giants (obviously I am a Manning fan)

So I missed the Chiefs Colts game...wow... I guess they didn't believe in playing defense until this week?... that was a shocker...manning played bad and still won... crazy. Other than that I hit every one.

Now here are my divisional round picks for this week.

Colts at Ravens

If the colts defense play the way they did last week, I just can't see them losing. Great battle between two quarterbacks who have had some memorable games. Both former co mvps, had many afc south battles that came down to the wire. The only way I can call this game is by who has the better rushing attack, and who can keep their offense on the field, and I truely believe the Ravens can do that, and when they need to make a play in the air I believe McNair will do just the thing. Ravens in a VERY close one.

New England at San Diego

Wow... this will be a great matchup. Week bye will help the Chargers out, and they have the best player in the NFL and the best pass rusher...but outside that... I see talent... but not enough. Philip Rivers I don't think will pull through when the pressure is on, and that defense is good, but not great. I think Tom Brady will pull this one off because a good patriots offensive line will keep Merriman away, and a good scheme will CONTAIN LT, and they will pull off a close win.

My Pick:Patriots
Who I will be rooting for: Patriots (I do not like merriman and I never want to see him win anything in this league)

NFC Regional Matchups

Seattle at Chicago

Great defense and a good run game wins you games. Bears will stop Alexander, and have a good rushing attack to pull off a close win against the former NFC champions.

My Pick: Bears
Who I will be rooting for: Bears

Eagles at Saints

Here is my upset, many weapons on the offense, a pretty good defense, the Saints look in good position. However I think the Eagles play a championship style of defense, and Jeff Garcia knows how to win... Eagles have been down that road, Saints have not.

Who I will be rooting for: Eagles

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read