Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-31-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alabama reportedly going to offer $40 mil. to Nick Saban

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2715745

Alabama is really desperate it seems. It looks as if they've gone all-in in getting Nick Saban. What are they going to do if he doesn't take their offer?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Default Re: Alabama reportedly going to offer $40 mil. to Nick Saban

Spurrier!
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Saban is a great college coach. He should take the job.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

No he shouldn't. Only a fool would walk into that job thinking that he'd be given any chance to do it right. The University of Alabama is looking hard for the next guy to fire because he isn't Bear Bryant. Saban is smart to not fall for that.
Old 12-31-2006   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

40 Million and college contracts are pretty much garanteed. That's a boatload of cash. That would be hard to turn down.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
No he shouldn't. Only a fool would walk into that job thinking that he'd be given any chance to do it right. The University of Alabama is looking hard for the next guy to fire because he isn't Bear Bryant. Saban is smart to not fall for that.
When they're offering $40 Million?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Then fine, take their money and wait for the axe to fall. If all he cares about is grabbing these idiots money then it's a good plan. They're desperate and stupid though so he should understand going in that a firing is inbound. I'm just saying that his being a good college coach makes no difference here IMO. The people doing the hiring at Alabama are nuts and they'll send him packing as soon as their (very small) reservoir of patience is spent.

I think the best thing that could have happened to Alabama once Bear Bryant died would have been a 10 or so year long spell of getting stomped into the ground on a regular basis. Then they'd learn to appreciate what they have instead of dwelling on what they don't have anymore. I liked Grant Teaff's comment about their recent coaching problems. He said something along the lines of "Tell those people in Tuscaloosa that he ain't coming back".

Sure it would be a well paying job. It would be a pressure cooker the likes of which he's never experienced before and it would be almost certainly a thankless job that would end in a firing.
Old 01-01-2007   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if living with that Alumni is worth $40 million. Just ask a few of the coaches (Curry, Franchione) who left on their own accord for a lesser program....they know where you live and throw bricks with death notices attached through your window if you lose.
Old 01-01-2007   #9
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I don't know if living with that Alumni is worth $40 million. Just ask a few of the coaches (Curry, Franchione) who left on their own accord for a lesser program....they know where you live and throw bricks with death notices attached through your window if you lose.
With $40 million I could have bulletproof glass installed & hire a small army of bodyguards. If they want to fire me in a couple of years, I'll just move along & take their money with me. I'd do it so I could secure my families financial future for 2-3 generations.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
With $40 million I could have bulletproof glass installed & hire a small army of bodyguards. If they want to fire me in a couple of years, I'll just move along & take their money with me. I'd do it so I could secure my families financial future for 2-3 generations.
pshh...I'd turn all 40 million into 1 dollar bills and roll around in it.

Coach a game? nah, you'd have to find me in my piles of money.
Old 01-01-2007   #11
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Just ask a few of the coaches (Curry, Franchione) who left on their own accord for a lesser program....
Leaving Alabama for Texas A&M is not leaving to a lesser program. If anything, it was a step into a job with as tough if not tougher expectations.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
40 Million and college contracts are pretty much garanteed. That's a boatload of cash. That would be hard to turn down.
And that's why they call them Godfather offers.
Would this mean that 'Phins D coach Dom might get another shot as an NFL HC ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #13
Newbsies
Rookie

Yeah sorry bro, but I wouldnt exactly call Fran's move do TAMU step down. I won't get started on Fran, as this is not the place, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 01-01-2007   #14
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

If Saban takes that offer, he can never go back to the NFL....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #15
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

why doesnt alabamba offer me 40 million, i can coach.
Old 01-01-2007   #16
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreRulz View Post
No kiddin', I dominate the dynasty mode in NCAA 07...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell, I woldn't even ask for 40 mil. I'd settle for like 25 million. You can get Coach YTF at a bargin.
Old 01-01-2007   #18
AndreRulz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
No kiddin', I dominate the dynasty mode in NCAA 07...
me too, but really I can coach. Id even go for 3 mil for 3 years.
Old 01-01-2007   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
me too, but really I can coach. Id even go for 3 mil for 3 years.
Man, I don't know if I can sell myself that low. I have standards you know.
Old 01-01-2007   #20
AndreRulz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Man, I don't know if I can sell myself that low. I have standards you know.
I dont care i just need a coaching job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read