Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2006   #1
gsbtxn
Veteran

Default Injuries in pre-game warmups

We have got to have the worst luck with injuries in the NFL. On top of all the guys on IR, we lose Dayne and Putzier during warm-ups. How in the world do you fracture your foot warming up?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/...061231_CLE@HOU
Adoptor of Eric Winston #73
gsbtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Injuries in pre-game warmups

Quote:
Sunday was the first time in 32 games the Texans did not allow a touchdown.
from the link
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #3
Texandiver
Veteran

How the heck did these injuries happen? Did it have anything to do with the crappy field at Reliant? That field has to be one of the worst surfaces to play at in the league. They have to do something about it.
Texandiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texandiver View Post
How the heck did these injuries happen? Did it have anything to do with the crappy field at Reliant? That field has to be one of the worst surfaces to play at in the league. They have to do something about it.
Now that Casserly is gone, maybe we can get a surface like the Superdome. I am so tired of everyone falling all over the palce in Relient. It is an experiment that has not worked, the grass just doesn't seem to get enough roots to hold.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #5
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Now that Casserly is gone, maybe we can get a surface like the Superdome. I am so tired of everyone falling all over the palce in Relient. It is an experiment that has not worked, the grass just doesn't seem to get enough roots to hold.
I agree that the surface has been terrible but I don't think that means that an artificial surface is the only recourse for Reliant Stadium. I am certain that they can somehow improve the quality of the surface and still maintain a natural grass surface.
Old 12-31-2006   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to see fieldturf installed. Then we could paint the endzones blue!!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #7
Texandiver
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see fieldturf installed. Then we could paint the endzones blue!!
DRob om the radio said he still prefers the grass over field turf. Likes his football down and dirty.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2006   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DRob om the radio said he still prefers the grass over field turf. Likes his football down and dirty.
Most players do prefer grass. However, I doubt they would prefere a bad grass field to a well maintained turf field. I don't know, but just suspect that would be the case.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's our home field advantage, like Pittsburgh's field.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have been saying this for going on 4 years. Let the idea of real grass go and devise a method of installing a "Field Turf" like system in trays. I've heard it can't be installed that way but after watching the folks at Reliant Stadium try and grow grass in the bottom of a dark hole for 5 years I'm willing to be that making Field Turf happen in trays would be easier than succeeding at what we've been doing.
Old 12-31-2006   #11
Osso
Veteran

I'm confused.....I could swear we do the trays. I'm sure I watched the documentary on the building of Reliant and trays were explained. That at any time there were several full fields of trays waiting to be called into use.

I'm going to pull up a relaint site now to confirm.
Old 12-31-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osso View Post
I'm confused.....I could swear we do the trays. I'm sure I watched the documentary on the building of Reliant and trays were explained. That at any time there were several full fields of trays waiting to be called into use.

I'm going to pull up a relaint site now to confirm.
Yes, we use a tray system for the real grass. I think the issue was that apparently the artificial field turf can't be done that way (I have no clue why, but....).

De Oppresso Liber
Old 12-31-2006   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

You know you are having a BAD year with regards to injuries when you can't even get out of warm ups without two players being injured.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 12-31-2006   #14
Osso
Veteran

It looks like we use the best available...IMO as well.

http://www.shark.com/gnturf/101802.php

I've been taking a look at the players cleats after I see one of them lose thier turf. Every time that player was wearing to short of a cleat, for the consistancy of natural turf.
Old 12-31-2006   #15
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Yes, we use a tray system for the real grass. I think the issue was that apparently the artificial field turf can't be done that way (I have no clue why, but....).
After watching new style artificial turf get installed, I can shed a little light here. The actual turf is layed out on the field like one big piece of carpet and tacked. The stuff is quite thin and porous. Looks similar to a modified version of military camoflouge netting. Then tiny rubber pellets are pack in under it. They spread the pellets on top and pack it in with a roller. Not exactly a temporary job.

Another idea would be to install the turf and devise some time of tray system to cover it for other events.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
After watching new style artificial turf get installed, I can shed a little light here. The actual turf is layed out on the field like one big piece of carpet and tacked. The stuff is quite thin and porous. Looks similar to a modified version of military camoflouge netting. Then tiny rubber pellets are pack in under it. They spread the pellets on top and pack it in with a roller. Not exactly a temporary job.

Another idea would be to install the turf and devise some time of tray system to cover it for other events.
Based on what your saying, if you install field turf, Relient then becomes a single use facility, because they won't be able to move it out to get to the concret floor underneath. If that is the case, we won't be seeing field turf anytime soon. They have to be able to use it for lots of events to pay the freight on the darn thing.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 01-01-2007   #17
BobbleTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 13 BobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVPBobbleTexan was voted MVP

If you watched the Texas Bowl game, you would have seen how torn up the field was. The Texans have enough turf for two and a half football fields. If you noticed at Sundays game pretty much the whole field from sideline to sideline have been replaced. Purely speculating but those trays are outside and surely were wet from rain earlier in week. And heard D-Rob say that the Texans had fans on the field to try and help it dry out. They probably moved the trays out either Thursday night (after Texas Bowl) or Friday and replaced them with the new trays. I think it was just unlucky to have the rain and the bowl game the same week, thus the turf was wet and tore easily. I like the grass and hope they keep it. For the most part all season the field was in good condition IMO>
BobbleTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #18
Texandiver
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbleTexan View Post
... For the most part all season the field was in good condition IMO>
The field looked nice, but the surface still sucked. Players slipping and sliding all the time. Did you noticed how they did not completely change the field over though. On both sidelines you still had old ugly looking trays of grass.
Old 01-01-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They laid the 700 million dollar wonder out north to south instead of east to west. go figgure. Then...they were suprised the feild didn't get enough sun in the fall and winter to keep the grass growing with a shallow sun. With out any sources for the low angled sun to reach the feild the turff was DOA on the design. Musta been aggie designers. As far as doing something about it ? Whatcha going to do ? I mean HSA pretty much has carte blanch, but barring tearing it down and starting over, to quote Payton Manning after his stunning loss to us..."It is what it is"
Old 01-01-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps next year the NFL schedule makers would give us a break and scedule a home and away for the last two games. That way the Texas bowl & the Texans could have a rested feild next year. But after the vacation they gave us in the middle of the year this year, I wouldn't count on it. I don't think our franchise is very high on the NFL food chain.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read